Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Space Trader, Ultimate Space Trading Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 01:35 Edited at: 27th Sep 2007 17:49
*Newest Version 9-27
DL September 27 version Here(Hull repair fixed,Ships, New Navigation)

Purchase Ships
Click to Move Navigation
Purchase Upgrades
Save / Load
Much more

Space Trader2d is all making money and buying/upgrading ships. Make your money by becoming a Fighter and killing and looting pirates, or earn it through buying low and selling high as a Space Trader.

Im still working on the game, I currently have Evarcha helping me with a new solar system backdrop. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and are taken in to consderation. Thanks and enjoy

And Here are various screen shots

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 07:03
It crashed on the shipyard everytime. It looks quite fun, and I had fun playing as a trader. Avoid crashes like that in WIP's, but besides that it's a great WIP: Well presented and a good game.

Great work.

Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 20:13 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2007 03:41
Hey, Thanks man I really appreciate it. The ship yard was new code which I just put in yesterday and unfortunately I didnt test it for the trader class.

The ship yard no longer crashes and the game should be bug free now.

Has anyone else tested my game though? I am kinda sad cause I thought a lot of people liked these types of games like Freelancer. If anyone else downloads it let me know what you think of it please, I could use some ideas and motivation to finish the project.

EDIT: I figure maybe I should do a brief instruction guide
1) Ship Classes
a) Fighters start with 100 hull, 100 sheild, 500 credits, and 5 cargo space, however they excell in combat and have a high accuracy of 65% (chance of selecting hits in combat) and 15 damage and better damage multipliers in combat.
b) Traders start with 150 hull,150 sheild, 1000 credits, 15 cargo space, but they are poor combatants and its best to payoff pirates upon encounters. (10 damage, 45% accuracy, not as good damage multipliers).

2)Shops
a)Can only be accessed at planets
b)Trade shop is where you buy your goods to sell at different planets. The color boxes indicate whether its a good price to buy/sell, Green = good deal, Yellow = average, Red = ripoff. Its best to buy items priced with green squares and sell items with green circles.
c)Ship Yards are where you repair your hull if it takes damage after combat, you will also in the future buy ships and equipment here.

4)Combat
a) the further you venture off from planet 1 the harder the pirates become
b)The combat screen shows the players Hull,Shield and damage at the top (pirates at the bottom). The top two box clusters are the players Damage Multiplyer and Accuracy Box. You start off selecting from the top Left Boxes (Damage Multiplyer) and then select the Top Right Boxes (Accuracy). Combat would go something like this, player selects 2x, and hit... this means there damage is multiplied by 2 and they hit the pirate. The pirate then selects his boxes and so on until one loses.
c) Shields automatically regen out of combat
d) If you lose combat you keep your credits and ship but lose all your cargo and spawn at planet 1
e) Search Enemy is for fighters to force a pirate encounter at a jump gate.

5) Map
a) Solar System shows you the whole solar system and where you are at in it.
b) Minimap shows your position in the middle and your destination options.
c) select a destination above the mini map and you will fly there.

6) Events
a) Events are used to influence the game play and allow the player to capitalize off of a planet running out of an item, so they can buy from another planet and make a big profit easily.
b) Beware each month the prices and amounts all reset and any event will also reset.

Damn that was a lot of typing, I hope it isnt overwhelming and you give my game a shot. I think its pretty cool and I dont know of any other game of its type in DarkBasic. (Star wraith is 3d)
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 20:20
Don't be sad. Sometimes it takes a while before people start noticing your posts, and I know lack of reply to a WIP can make you feel down - but I promise, keep going and you'll get more and more replies.

I'm downloading the new version. Will be back with comments in a few hours.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Played it and seemed like a good base. I found a bug though, I was able to buy everything at planet 5 for 0.

You need to add in some ship upgrades and other things to use the money on. The battles could use some more visuals and variety to them.

Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 23:41
This looks really fun. I would like to download and play this but my computers been messed up lately and won't run much of anything.
Simwad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2007 10:43
Looks like a great start. I've always enjoyed Space Trading games and I think this could become a fun game. I also noticed you could buy stuff at $0 on Planet 5. Combat was a little boring after a while, I just paid them off because I couldn't be bothered fighting. Mabey have an Auto-Fight option, and just let the computer fight it out, or have something a little more dynamic e.g. Star Control 1 v 1 fighting.

Still a great start though, keep up the good work.
Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2007 03:34 Edited at: 27th Sep 2007 17:49
Hey, Thanks for all of you guys who posted. Despite the fact not many people are interested in the game, I still have been working on it quite hard. Jimpo thanks to your suggestions I added a lot more visuals to the combat, now there are 2 ships that fire at each other.

Also new:
The ability to save / load up to 3 seperate files
Equipment Shop to buy lots of upgrades
And a lot of other various fixes and tweaks

I still need to add new ships, and pirate goods and then I will move on to something new.

Thanks again for you guys posting, Hopefully A few more people will DL my game and post. To get the new version go to my first post at the top of the page.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2007 15:01
It's pretty cool, the latest version is much better as the combat has a cool graphic touch. The main thing that bugged me is that the combat is totally random. You might as well make it totally automated using the current system. One possible solution is to make the hit/miss buttons visible but they shuffle around and hide so you at least know where some of them are depending on your memory. I also think the cargo size should be larger as I gained more money killing pirates and selling their stuff than actually looking for planets that sold cheap stuff.

I also found navigating slightly annoying. It would be best if the minimap thing acted like the navigation so you could select your destination.

One slight bug I noticed was that either the text is too low or the mouseover code reads it too high as placing the cursor about 60% down doesn't display the mouseover image.

Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2007 21:53 Edited at: 27th Sep 2007 17:49
@ Dark Coder, Thanks man you inspired me to rethink the navigation system in the game and guess what! I fixed it and you now navigate through the mini map. I always wanted to do it that way but couldnt figure out how to do it but finally I sat down and did it today. About the combat, ya it is kinda random, however the penalties for losing arent very harsh and as you buy new ships and upgrades your accuracy improves a ton. Also now with the ability to buy new ships they each come with expanded cargo bays.

Thanks again for all of your guys comments, you really helped me make the game that much better.
Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 22:15
Any feedback on the latest version?
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 05:25
Yes it's better than last time, as most parts of the game seem to be based on Freelancer(including the sounds ) why not make it more like it. I.e. between each planet there are maybe 10-20trade lanes and pirates can pull you off them(using awesome hacking skills aka shooting the lanes) however the difference would be that after a certain amount of time(till it activates again) you can escape, or if the lane is close to a planet maybe police come in and help you. You could also make the game fun by making it so that you could be a pirate as well.

The main thing you could currently change I guess is adding more items and more variation between them as there currently isn't a lot to do.

Lastly, I forgot to mention this earlier but the game uses all remaining resources of the CPU that's in use by the game which slows down other applications and many other things, you could fix this with VSync, Sync Off, Sleep EX etc.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:39:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:39:55