Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newton or Dark PhysX?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 01:55
Not sure if this is in the right place, but...
I'm making a racing game and I was wondering:

Should I use Newton or Dark PhysX for this? I want nice physics for this game and I don't know which is better for vehicles.

Any advice would be appreciated.

No Common Sense for the Common Things!!!
Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 14:08
Newton is free, so i would suggest getting that first.

Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 20:06
Newton. Newton is very good with vehicle physics.

Hardware: nVidia GeForce 8500GT 256mb, 240gb HD Space, Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 512mb RAM, Realtek HD Audio
Software: 3Ds Max 9, Adobe Photoshop CS8
CrayZXP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 22:47
Then I have another question:

Could I sell any game that uses Newton for physics?

MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 23:57
Quote: "Could I sell any game that uses Newton for physics?"

Yes, as long as you include the newton logo, tell the developer about your project, and say you used Newton in any help/readme.

G2L

Coming soon...
CrayZXP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 00:20
Ok, no problem.

uhh...logo?

MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 00:31
You get it on the website. If it helps, here's the full license agreement:

Quote: "Newton Game Dynamics SDK License Version 1.52
Copyright 2003-2006 Newton Game Dynamics. All rights reserved.

LIMITED WARRANTY
This software is provided "as-is", without any express or implied warranty.
In no event shall the author be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

This is a contract. By accepting the Newton Game Dynamics SDK (the SOFTWARE), you (either an individual or a single entity, the LICENSEE) accept the terms and conditions of this licensing agreement.

If the LICENSEE does not accept the terms and conditions, then LICENSEE must not accept the SOFTWARE.

If at a later time the LICENSEE decides not to continue licensing the SOFTWARE under these terms and conditions, then the LICENSEE must delete permanently all files constituting the SOFTWARE.

LICENSE AGREEMENT
Newton Game Dynamics Limited grants to the LICENSEE and the LICENSEE hereby accepts a perpetual nontransferable and nonexclusive license to use and distribute the SOFTWARE, for any purpose. In addition, the following conditions apply:

1) The LICENSEE may not use the SOFTWARE to reverse engineer the computer algorithm used by the SOFTWARE.

2) The origin of the SOFTWARE must not be misrepresented; If the LICENSEE uses the SOFTWARE to distribute a product, the LICENSEE must not claim that He or She wrote the original SOFTWARE.

3) The LICENSEE agrees to credit the use of the Newton Game Dynamics in any program information, including splash screens, "About" dialogs, program notes or instructions and shrink-wrapped packaging.

4) The LICENSEE may not redistribute the SOFTWARE, except as part of a compiled software program that is not itself a physics library.

5) The LICENSEE agrees to notify www.newtondynamics.com of any products, commercial, shareware or free that incorporate the Newton Game Dynamics technology.

Julio Jerez and Alain Suero
http://www.newtondynamics.com"

Coming soon...
CrayZXP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 01:03
One more question then I'm done:

Is there any racing game tutorials for Newton? I've looked at the demos, but I'm still a bit confused.

Thanks for the help, BTW.

Eevil Weevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 20:18
Google it.

Excuse me. Yes you. Stop reading my siggy! It is private. Stoppit! Now! I'll kill you! Bleurgh! Go away or I'll format your C-drive! You are dead! I am dead! Yes! Ahem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 05:11:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 05:11:05