Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Does anyone have a concentration span I can borrow?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 14:56
Help me! Whenever I try to do something big in DarkBASIC Pro, I always lose interest! Either I have a poor concentration span, or my ideas are not original enough to keep me interested!
What would Goku do?
Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't worry, you're not alone!

I think the best remedy for poor attention span is to work in a team on a project with people that'll motviate each other. If you see someone else making progress then it motivates you and vice-versa.

Or maybe just try something small. Trouble is with small projects is that there's a greater likelihood that no one will play it. How many small games have you played lately?
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 15:04
Quote: "How many small games have you played lately?"
I haven't played any DBPro games as my computer is not connected to the net and I have to use my parents'
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 16:29
It's alright to have a big goal. What too many people do is try and put it all together in one step.

Break the project down into manageable chunks. Solve each chunk, then move onto the next. If you've planned it right, it won't be long before you have everything in place to glue together.

Practice, planning and perseverence will get you there in the end.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 16:41 Edited at: 9th Jun 2003 16:42
Here's my tip...

like IanM says, break your project up into smaller manageable parts. If you can complete a task in one evening, and see the results, you'll be motivated to carry on. If you code for a fortnight with no visible results, you'll get disheartened.

For example, get your character movements working with cubes. It would be annoying to spend 2 weeks on a model, and have nothing to do with it. Equally, it would be annoying to code for a fortnight to control every limb of a model, and have no model to test it on.

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
pugmartin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 18:09
I agree with you all here (for once!). Soyuz, thats definately true. Even if theres just the two of you working toward the same goal its incredible the buzz you get off working things out together. And like you say, you end up competing against each other which works wonders for the project. Also good for bouncing ideas off of each other.

IanM n StevieVee, again spot on. Ive lost count of the number of things ive given up on simply because ive gone about it the wrong way from the start. Breaking down is the way to go.

Also, another thing that ive been doing lately is having three or four totally different things on the go at once. This way, i can work on whichever one takes my fancy depending on the mood im in at the time.
For example, at the minute ive got a BIG thing im heading towards, which will take ages, so im letting it go at its own pace, building a level editor first that`ll handle all the scripting and effects in one.
For the times i cant be bothered with texture directories and such, ive got a retro game ive been fiddling about with, thats totally updated with clever use of the matrix commands. Just a fun project to be honest.
Ive also got a simple puzzle game type thingy on the go, which makes extensive use of memblocks for fast and clever effects.
AND i got a nice little war game in the style of a 3d Risk in modern day situations coming together nicely.

Like i say though, its best to do little things that are different from anything else you may be doing. That way, who knows, you might learn something along the way as you play about, and its a good way to stop the boredom

ozak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 18:11
Starting with a smaller project is good in many ways.

1. You actually complete something.
This shows you can finish a project. Know when to stop adding features, getting a team to share a common vision etc. etc.

2. 1 is all the reason you need.

Starting out too big, will never get you anything completed.
Besides that, the other suggestions from IanM and StevieVee are good too

Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 18:25
I'm good at small programs (most of my complete programs don't even use external media). I have a fairly good grasp of DarkBASIC. I suppose I just have to think of a big project (big for me, not you) that I will keep interest in.
MiniMark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 12:41
Lots of good advice here. I suggest with the next project you try, make a plan. Work all the details of the game on paper before even touching the computer. Getting your ideas down first helps and it gives you a guideline on what needs to be done. Also with a story based game it helps you to develop your characters,gameplay and your final goal. It also allows you to see what tasks are being done at same timeframe so if you get bored with say coding you can do design work etc to break up the boredom.

Good Luck with it.

Build A Bridge, then get OVER IT...
--Twin P4 Xeon 2.0 Ghz, GeForce Quadro4 XGL 128MB, 1Gb DDR RAM, 19" Flat Screen--
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 13:43
Trouble is, my plan would probably go something like this:

"Hey, I've got the best idea for a game ever! It would be so cool!"

Writes plan furiously for an hour

Looks at plan.

"This is the stupidest idea for a game ever! A dead cat could make a better game than this!"

Screws up plan and throws away.
Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds familiar

I started a website once where people could share game ideas and discuss. Trouble is we're all protective of our ideas so who's going to want to tell other people their ground-breaking idea? Shame really as we'd all benefit from each other's input.
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 14:59
I always lose interest that why I never code anything

The man with no sig
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 17:55
no!..whats a concen.....oooh! sunshine!

Mentor.