Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Pocketpc version?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi i'm a new guy on here. I've actually owned darkbasic for some time (since the very firt release in fact) but hav'nt really have had as much time to make good use of it as I should have (shame on me). But is what I hear true that there will be a pocketpc version? Now this interests me big time. So has anyone got any info on it or is it just someone winding me up.

If this question has been posted before then I apologise.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 15:46
Where did you hear this roumor??

Pocket PC would not do 3D very well and probably has its own DX, if it even exists for PPC, that means the whole DBPro would have to be written to accomodate this.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 17:06
well DarkBasic Standard/Enhanced works quite well under WinCE
but the size is probably your biggest problem - 40mb min

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
out254
Years of Service
User Offline
There are a few api's out there that do 3d for the pocketpc. GAPI being the one from microsoft but no 3d.

After a quick search on pocketgamer [href]www.pocketgamer.org[/href]

The link to the thread
http://www.pocketgamer.org/showthread.php?s=c758306e9f91b578d170b3de6881d385&threadid=2640&highlight=darkbasic

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 23:14
I don't know anythng about pocketpc having never owned one. However I do know about Palm operating systems and machines and I have never really seen or heard of any decent directx software (prolly cos its not Windows based lol) but a version of OpenGl exists. (This has no real relevance but may be of interest )

DB in its current state would not really do well of pocketpcs due to the large file sizes involved. However it would be possible to write a db program for pc, using a dbstyle command set that would then take the code and output C++ or another compatible language to an exe runnable on pocketpc. This would be seriously, seriously complex, and probably a waste of time, comercially at least. But a cool prospect none-the-less

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 00:31
WinCE 4.2+ has DirectX 8.1 (which is upgradable to 9) incorporated, oki a little cutdown .. but still will run DB Standard Software, again i wouldn't expect any miricle speeds or any real performance from anything cept text - but is purchasable and installedable on most PocketPC/Palmtops
Not that they really have any hardware to justify the use though.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 16:17
lol cool Although you're right I haven't seen any such hardware that could warrant any kind of 3d direct x based program

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 18:44
What kind of spec machines would you find Windows CE on?

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 20:42
i dunno... i can run it on my Psion6 - probably nothing major in that, can run simple Java games in colour ... and i did have Doom95 working on it once, though i'd hardly call it speedy lol

WinCE can be installed on any computer though, you know that SymbianOS is actually pretty good to ... doesn't use DirectX but it can actually run games at some speed on CellPhones. (useless info but interesting to know)
And puffies installed a minimum Linux on one of his (no i don't know why either lol)

i think most palm/pocket PC's are around 60mhz though, and my Psion has a full 16-bit colour screen so its gotta have atleast some form of VGA in it or similar

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 00:54
"Psion6"

There is no such machine. Psions come in Series 3,5,7 and Netbook flavours. What I think you are referring to is Symbian OS 6?

"Psion has a full 16-bit colour screen"

Again, the most high tech Psion has a 256 colour screen, I think you mean a Symbian OS 6 device such as the Nokia 9210? - I certainly believe that there is a version of Doom for that.

I tried playing Doom on my Psion 5 and my father's Netbook - the game runs OK but the screen can't refresh fast enough to keep up

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 01:19
look my little Psion has 6 at the bottom of it... so i'm guessing it is a Psion6 (as that is what the logo bloody says), and my WinCE graphics options are 16colors/256colors/32kcolors/64kcolors
as 64k is 16bit then again i'm guessing it handles 16bit colour
and yes i know that SymbianOS 6.22 is capable of running similar on Nokia/Motorola/SonyEricsson Cells - but i know what my palmtop is capable of.
I don't have like 6-7 like other people here, i just have the one and i only bought it under duress (some people seemed to think i needed something to store dates in that i wouldn't loose)

i have a few games on it, nothing major ... i recompiled Wolfenstein for it, that runs alright - about 8fps which is pretty close to the original (atleast the original that i played when i was a kid)
I've found a few old tapes of amstrad games Alex has laying about, so i might jerry-rig something tonight to grab the data - i loved TheWildWest

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 13:06
Most Pocket pc devices run between 8mhz (very low end) and 66Mhz (High End) - I haven't seen any faster, but I have heard of up to 1333Mhz. Even then running 3d DirectX 7++ aps would be SLOOOOOW at least

out254
Years of Service
User Offline
Running Win CE 3.0 (pocketpc's for those that don't know are pda's that fit in your pocket ).

Older pocketpc's use the srongARM processor running at 202MHz while the new current crop use xScale(same instruction set) at 400MHz. All have 16bit colour.

Mine uses the strongarm with around 700mb total storage great for mp3's divx's etc.

Doom, Quake, Quake 2 and Wolf 3d have all been ported over to the pocketpc. Have a look at [href]www.pocketmatrix.com[/href]

It's starting to look like a darkbasic port being just a rumour after all.

What would be interesting though is an IDE with syntax checking. hmmm

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 18:06
nice ... i think i'll have to get some of them for when i'm bored.
the current WinCE is capable of using DirectX9 though, so if certain makes of PDA are running at 400Mhz StrongArm then really just installing the new WinCE to them would probably allow you to use it without porting, as Dx doesn't require any particular affiliation to x86/Alpha/ia64 just to run thier software, and no doubt WinCE has the builtin support for these other CPU types

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 18:54
"look my little Psion has 6 at the bottom of it... so i'm guessing it is a Psion6 (as that is what the logo bloody says), and my WinCE graphics options are 16colors/256colors/32kcolors/64kcolors "

Are you sure it is spelt like that? - A Psion6 definately does not exist - and Psions run the EPOC OS, not Windows CE. I don't know of any other handheld product with that name. Weird. Anyhow, the make and model isn't important, just what it does.

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 19:55
Psion 6 could be a Revo pre public release. If i remember correctly Psion only chose the name shortly before release after they had done some test productions.

If memory recalls, they used it as a big publicity thing, making it more up to date as the series thing had benn going too long.

Or somming

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 22:01
The Revo doesn't have a colour screen or Windows CE though. Also, I doubt that Psion would have used that name seing that the Revo is technically inferior to the 5MX. It was a step in the right direction, the 5MX was WORTH £350 IMO, but with a greyscale screen they were never going to sell it for that. Then they made the REVO which was a more acceptable £180, but looked and felt like a £5 organiser. The REVO Plus was getting closer.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 22:19
i never said that WinCE came as standard ... i just said thats what i use, seemed best considering what i do.

Martyn showed me a pick of the Revo, and it looks like mine - cept mine has a little lip at the botton for resting your palms on which is where it says "Series6" and at the top and on the back it has Psion with those funny symbols above it.
Don't ask me if its a retail or pre-release or whatever cause i didn't buy it, it was given to me because people thought i needed one and to be honest i don't even remember which mate gave it to me.

but it is certainly a fun little toy.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 01:15
lol hmm I meant 133Mhz not 1333

Still, 400Mhz is starting to sound pheasible, if not quite yet Maybe one day

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 02:54
Weird. Oh well, what the machine is, is not important. Just that it is a handheld which plays Doom.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 04:29
ya know the C3 900Mhz processor is the same size as one of those slightly larger than normal postage stamps, ya know the ones you get at holidays ... and they're about as deep as 2x £2's
they still need alot of heatsinking, but purely on a size<>power ratio thats still pretty atonishing to me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:46:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:46:06