Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I'm back (at last) with a question (naturaly)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 06:41
At last! I have found some free time to return after being away for a while. Have I missed anything? Has Raven been banned yet? hehe

O.K. My question is: what is the best firewall software in your opinion and why?
Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 11:08
norton, it works

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 12:06
Black Ice is pretty incredible for the price (about £25).

And Raven has not been banned - although the day is young....

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 14:05
Sheilds Up fails Blackice Defender, it fails their security check or at least did last time I was on the site, so now I use Kerio Personal Firewall, that passes all the tests and I have never had issues with it either regarding other software.

Mentor.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 18:45
I use ZoneAlarm, which is free, and seems to work quite well, but isn't very configurable.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 19:45
And I've getting a ADSL router with a built-in firewall

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 20:27
i use Norton & Windows Server 2003 plus my little network of machines is servered by a Linux RedHat9 machine so three different lines of defense tends to keeps things pretty amicable

ZoneAlarm is free for a reason Rob - its about as useful as leaving your housekeys with a known burglar.
but BlackIce is pretty good

as for being banned... well i almost was - but then i gave Rich the old puppy dog eyes and he just could chuck me out into the cold harsh reality of the WWW

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 22:20
Tiny personal firewall - it works well but I have heard of programs that hit the allow button when the program asks if you want to allow the connection.

Also have an ADSL thing with firewall.

Does Blackice still not stop (or alert) outgoing connections? This would be reason to avoid it if it does not.
Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 02:24 Edited at: 11th Jun 2003 02:25
The reason I ask, is because something sinister happend a couple of days ago with my free version of ZoneAlarm.

It kept on quitting after launching on start up. Even Norton Anti Virus was shutting down soon after it was run. I solved that problem by re-namming Navw32.exe to something else.

I somehow I had picked up two intruders one was the well known BugBear virus and the other was something called PWS.Hooker.Trojan were identified by my Norton (probably sneeked in via an e-mail)

Never heard of that one, apperantly quite rare. Anyone know what that will do if left unchecked?

I've been on the net for over 2 years now and this was my first experence with viruses, up until now I had considered myself lucky.

Now I will admit I was at fault in letting these little sob's on my system, I was adjusting some settings in the Norton Anti Virus and forgot to switch the Auto Protect back on (D'OH! slaps forhead and promptly shoots myself in the foot), serves me right for mucking around with it in the first place, but it did make me think about my firewall.

So, is there a firewall out there that's as good or better than ZoneAlarm and is able to protect itself?

...or is a firewall unable to protect itself if something sneeks in?

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 02:44
Quote: "I've been on the net for over 2 years now and this was my first experence with viruses, up until now I had considered myself lucky."

very lucky i guess but then i've only have 3 actualy virus infections over the past 10years of using the PC.
Norton IS will protect your system even when AV is offline, which is primarily why i use it ... because if a virus/trojan does get on IS will detect it and shut down its access, oftenly quarentiens it too - until AV is turned back on and goes "Eh that ain't suppose to be there!"

the current BlackIce has options to stop outgoing messages and incomming messages too - but it all needs to be setup manually if i remember right.
as for ZoneAlarm i've never liked it, never will - its about as protective as kitchen towel kagool

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 21:10
A fire wall that runs on the computer will always be susceptable as any nasty programs can try to stop it working and will proberly be able to access it. Avoid using programs that will download and run programs without you knowing. Scanning any db programs that you download and run is proberly a good idea as you have no idea what state the computer that it came from is in.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:43:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:43:04