Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / ButterCutter. Segment Trashing Tool.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 04:11 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 04:12

(the image is one big link. click it.)

Ice Cube
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 04:15 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 04:19
So basically this "puts punches" into segments(meshes)...?
Well done butters! Great idea!

Edit: It will save a lot of time!

Edit2: Just saw the price... Cannot afford it soon...
Anyway, good luck with this!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
its that guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 04:35
woah this is very nice

electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks totally awesome. Good job. I already ordered mine. I can't wait to check it out. Thanks in advance.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 04:40
Sweet. $24 seems a bit far stretched for FPSC media, but in the reality of things that is probably excellent pricing. Too bad I just blew my gaming/development budget on Oblivion and Halo 3 (I just had to get something interesting for that $400 piece of hardware)

Vote today and play the games!
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 04:42
That's a handy tool but the price is way too expensive.

ButterCutter - Segment Trashing Tool
£12
$24.50
17 Euros

If we look at it be work involved, model pack 10 is 11.99 GBP, now it takes a lot longer modeling 10 weapons animating them , and skinning them at professional commercial game quality,and setting up all the scripts etc, than making 80 random shapes, that don't require modeling skills to make or any texture maps. That could be done in a day. Now I do think this is a very handy product, but wow, what a price. Not sure why you came in at that figure, perhaps fpsc users will pay that, or perhaps the audience is small so you want a good return, but either way, too expensive, but well done for thinking of it.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 04:47
Personally I think Errant's weapons should have sold for $2000 a gun

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 04:52
Well done, anyone who has spent a long time making destroyed segments is rocking back and forth and weeping.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 04:55 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 04:58
Fallen one,

I think you're way out of line.
Once I deduct Paypal charges and tax, I take away around £10.

Sure model pack 10 contains 10 weapons, and mine contains 80
Quote: "random shapes"
, but each one had to be created, put into an FPS file, and tested in FPSC, not to mention just developing the concept, figuring out how to set it up. And infact, the detructible segements did require animating and UV mapping.

£12 is nothing frankly, it 2 large meals at Mcdonalds and busfare home.

Xplosys

Thanks man

I want to game

Cheers. Yeah, it's annoying modelling all that stuff. drives me nuts!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 05:09
Just don't mistake me for taking that side, I'd buy it if I wasn't so budget-strict.

Forturax
Years of Service
User Offline
Woah, Butters your always dishing out great stuff. I think the price is fine.. i just think people are too use to getting everything for free, or cheap on these forums. But its something i'll definately be getting

Swords And Axes Make You A Good Fighter...
Trust And Loyalty Make You A Good Friend
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 05:18
Not to be mean, but arent these just windows?
The Price is kind of high to. But other than that i love the idea, and it.

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 05:20
Butter Fingers this is an awesome idea. original and something i think everyone can use. wish i had a credit card to buy it.

keep up the great work bro
General powell11
Years of Service
User Offline
looks, incredible, nice work again butters

Check out my WIP game, and comment at-----http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=110649&b=25
Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 05:53 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 05:55
How does it work? I know you need FPSC... But, is it a segment add-on with all the cutting scripts, or is it a hack to FPSC?

If it's a segment add-on... And not a hack... Awesome!!! This is just what I needed for the upcoming game I'm planning... Thanks, now I won't have to model it. Expect an order from me in about 2-3 1/2 months... Still need to make some money to get FPSC and model pack 9 and 10. And also I'm waiting for X10. Anyway, Nice!!!

drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 05:53 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 05:54
Quote: "Not to be mean, but arent these just windows?"

Regardless of what it is or isn't you didn't have it or maybe think of it until he offered it to you at an AFFORDABLE price. You guys want unrealistic prices check many of the other gaming engines. FPSC and community has done very well in keeping cost to a minimum. I have paid for a little over 1k in the past 6 months for models and I am happy to come across stuff like this.

Butter Fingers - Great concept and delivery. Price is great! I think this is the most valuable thing you have put out for this community. Although I think certain people in the community kiss your butt way too much (not being mean here; if you knew me personally you would not take offense to this)you have done a great job by this tool. My hats way off to you. I hope you make millions.

EDIT!! I forgot to ask if the animations of the boards were delayed in falling due to the video frame rate or if the boards actually have that delay?
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 06:00
Im not saying that i dont like butters idea, i was just wondering if those were windows. Yes i give butters credit for thinking of this idea. I just think that it should be such a high price. Im pretty sure the boards are supposed to be like that.

Quote: "How does it work? I know you need FPSC... But, is it a segment add-on with all the cutting scripts, or is it a hack to FPSC?

If it's a segment add-on... And not a hack... Awesome!!! This is just what I needed for the upcoming game I'm planning... Thanks, now I won't have to model it. Expect an order from me in about 2-3 1/2 months... Still need to make some money to get FPSC and model pack 9 and 10. And also I'm waiting for X10. Anyway, Nice!!!"

Im pretty sure you just add them on like you do to windows.

cram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 07:22
Damn i have no paypal and no creditcard,only bankwire
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 07:41 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 07:58
Bravo buddy! Honestly I think this is a much needed and very useable addon, especially for anybody doing destroyed or wartorn areas. I think it's well worth the price as well. Great work man, and I love the name.
EDIT- Whoa! just watched the vid, are the destructible barricades included? If so man it is definitely well worth it!

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 08:23 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 08:23
Awesome tool there, i think the price is fine its just that too many people on the forum are used to silly prices.

The amount of work that had gone into this is well worth the price.

Best s4
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 09:02
Great Idea, very useful and very good presentation.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 12:21
Quote: "I think the price is fine.. i just think people are too use to getting everything for free, or cheap on these forums."

Yes we are very lucky to have so many generous people on these forums. I put in my order. £12 is nothing compared to the time saved trying to make something like this.

[center]
X Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 12:29
Good pack, I planed on doing a pack like this too, you beet me to it

Have a look at X Games NEW website!
Leaning Objects To The Side
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 12:37 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 12:46
OMG...Butter fingers this tool is AWESOME!! I will get my bid in BTW...AWESOME Job!

Cheers,
Tanya
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 12:47
Quote: "Not to be mean, but arent these just windows?
The Price is kind of high to. But other than that i love the idea, and it."

You're not being mean. No, they're not windows. Windows have glass in them.They work out at 12pence per segment, you think 12pence is expensive?
Quote: "
Butter Fingers this is an awesome idea."

thanks Braden
Quote: "looks, incredible, nice work again butters"

Thankyou for your support general *salute*
Quote: "How does it work? I know you need FPSC... But, is it a segment add-on with all the cutting scripts, or is it a hack to FPSC?"

It's an add-on. There are no changes to source code or anything like that.

Drew
Thanks man. I went to bed after Forturax posted, and was pretty upset, so it was lovely to have someone talking sense. Made my morning.

and in response to the question, the boards do actually break on time. I'm not quite sure why they didn't in the video, I think it was either fraps, or just the fact I was running so many simultaneous processes

Quote: "Damn i have no paypal and no creditcard,only bankwire"

Cram, drop an email to me, we'll see what we can do. And I went to brussels in belgium recently, and it was a blast.

DIsturbing 13
Quote: "Whoa! just watched the vid, are the destructible barricades included? If so man it is definitely well worth "
it!
Thanks buddy, they are of course included! there are 10 destructible ones like that.

Quote: "Awesome tool there, i think the price is fine its just that too many people on the forum are used to silly prices.
The amount of work that had gone into this is well worth the price."

Amen S4!

Quote: "Yes we are very lucky to have so many generous people on these forums. I put in my order. £12 is nothing compared to the time saved trying to make something like this."

Thats an excellent point thraxas, the time-cost saving will be huge.

X Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 12:54
Quote: "i was just wondering if those were windows. "

By the look of them i think they are punch mesh's without any frame, well that what i planed on doing for a pack, no need now!

Have a look at X Games NEW website!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 13:08
Yeah, they are punches, although the FPS file uses more than just the CSG punch, it also inserts other details into the punch, like girders poking out, or those destroyable barriers.

In the interests of price and quantity an so on....

We cannot release anything until Friday when our bandwidth and storage space is increased, therefore in the meantime we will continue to add to the pack, as the destroyable segments seem to be the most popular we will be including more of those, as well as some other unique features. By final release we'll endeavour to have over 100 different segments, and other variations of the destroyable sections.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 13:21
Quote: "They work out at 12pence per segment, you think 12pence is expensive?"

I guess when you put it like that, its not that bad.

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice stuff, i'll put my order through as soon as I get the money (stupid Dark A.I took my money)

It's very well priced, and saves heaps of time, like Thraxas said, what sucks is that Paypal takes so much off you.

Strelok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 13:30
wow , this looks very nice and very useful.

This tool will save a lot of work for everybody. And you have a lot of variations.
It definitely give a new look to each FPSC game.

So I highly recommend this tool for everybody.

Good Job Butter fingers , I'm sure you will get a lot of sales.

Cheers ,

Oleg.
Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 13:36
Cool idea, and I love the name... ButterCutter...

Make games, not war.

pigs can fly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 14:37
Dude, this is genious
Thinking of buying this...

The Swarm of flying pigs is coming...
Killer&Slaughter Machines Pack too!
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 14:55
too expensive for me but looks amazing

Soldier of Fortune Episode 1
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 15:15
Great idea!
If people dont want to model their broken walls etc
this is the answer!

When i saw the first 2 pictures i thought....huh?!?
But then when i scrolled down i saw the other pictures and i thought
ohhh...so thats how he did it.

Looking very nice man!
Hope you sell some.

Cheers,
Cheese Cake.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 15:28
To those who think this is too expensive...

We are spoiled due to the model packs and the kindness of forum members who cut us one heck of a deal.This pack is worth quite a bit more than he's charging for it.
Let me explain it simply...There are a wide variety of cut outs and they work on any segment.I have been priviledged to have tested this and so far this has worked flawlessly on every segment I have tested it on without fail.
To do this with Signs (a great app in its won right but I digress) or what have you you would have to make a new wall segment or entity for each cutout for each segment...I won't get into specifics but all but the newest members get the idea.Now using Buttercutters you just pick the Buttercutter you want and left click where you want to place it.
Not only is it infinitely simple to use ti works flawlessly allowing even the newest developers to add literally infinte combinations of segments.
If you are serious about developing games in FPSC you want this.Trust me.Buy it.Butters has outdone himself this time.

Please have mercy and use the search function.
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 15:46
I agree that the price is definitely reasonable. I will be buying this one for certain.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 16:44
Leave it to Butters to come up with another revolutionary idea. I was impressed until I watched the video and noticed that the barricades don't just disappear, but fall to the ground. Now I'm in awe.

Very well done and super useful!

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 16:48
Quote: " was impressed until I watched the video and noticed that the barricades don't just disappear, but fall to the ground"

Watched the vid, and I still like them, but the destroying barricades are animation, but I know it's limited by FPSC...

Make games, not war.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
The idea behind this and the thought gone into it is worth the price alone

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 16:54
Quote: "Watched the vid, and I still like them, but the destroying barricades are animation, but I know it's limited by FPSC..."

I don't think you understand my post, or you're just kidding with me. It's hard to tell around here.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 17:02 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 17:05
It needs more detail, at the price its the asking price of the top end packs, like the official media, the top tier media needs to be commercial quality, this pack needs more details, at present its 80 subtraction shapes, with some planks, interior walls that are broken don't look like how you have made them, they have internal cavities with joists and boarding over them, these have wooden planks inside them, external concrete walls have internal metal frames or posts, now I understand that you have planks inside them to shoot and be able to move through the gap, I don't mind that, but make them more realistic, at least a flat sheet with an alpha and the strutting or metal mesh painted on, at present these are just holes (or windows as someone said) just needs more work, for amateur projects they are perfectly fine, but for a commercial project they need more, at present they cannot be used for that, which is a shame.

I say if you are going to charge the top tier price for these make them commercial game quality, add more details in them, make them more realistic, for the price it should be the total solution.

Try adding some holes that don't go right through, or how about decals for the walls with bullet wholes and damage, or even chunks of masonry for the floor, or even broken floors, holes in the floor that one can see inside, as in see inside a real floor, not just a random shape that works as a subtraction through the BSP.

Just needs more work to make these usable for anyone wanting to make a commercial game, I hope you work on them and don't sell them short, could be excellent if you spent more time on them and brought them up to the next tier up.

Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 17:04
No, I just said my opinion about it. You said what you liked it, but I don't like it as much.

Make games, not war.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 17:16
Fred said most of what I was going to say. Jake made his model packs available at an extreme discount, because he was aware of the finances of most FPSC developers. Jake has made media for EA games before...he is a professional artist with shipped titles. I did an interview with him for our latest Newsletter, check it out. All the other TGC model packs are also extremely underpriced. Some people here have been spoiled. How many times has Butters put something up here for free?? Instead of supporting him (and other developers who do the same) financially for an extremely versatile/useful product, you complain about the price...if anything, it's a "thankyou" for all the free work he's done in the past.

Don't forget, many of the talented developers here could very well move on to other engines to support and make much more than they currently charge.

Thanks for making this for us Butters; it would make a nice prize in one of the many compos running around here. It should show up in next month's Newsletter...thanks to Fred.

-Keith

X Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 17:27
Yeah, I would say the price is spot on but I would more than likely make them myself.

Quote: "it would make a nice prize in one of the many compos running around here."

yeah it would be ideal for the segment comp, hint hint lol

FPS-X-Games.com needs a web host, contact me!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 17:55
If people think it's too expensive, that's perfectly fine. They can always make their own, in whatever time it takes, and repeat the same painstaking work every tim ethey want a new hole in a wall.

Personally, I couldn't afford to make my own. If I add up the time I would save by using the tool, I would be seriously out of pocket by doing it without the tool.

If you can make £12 in an hour or two, then you are incredibly short-sighted to criticise the price and not buy it for spite. If you can't make £12 in an hour or two, you shouldn't be playing games, you should be learning valuable life-skills to increase your self-worth!

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 18:09
This is great work buters!
i put through my order! this is exactly the type of thing that makes FPCS so much easier and makes your games that huge bit better!

HMMMMMMM
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 18:19 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 18:26
Don't forget, many of the talented developers here could very well move on to other engines to support and make much more than they currently charge.

Could they! mid priced engines, two platforms, 60k to 100k, Id do a list but I cant remember what engine I'm under a NDA so Ill do ballpark on the mid, High end platform, lets say UE3, 1.25 million USD, that's not listed any place, but I know the price from direct experience.

Low range, engines, say 200 USD say for C4 engine, up to lets say Unity engine 2000 USD, you get 2 platforms for that which is great for entry level devs wanting to dev for the wii, many low range engine lack lots of features and require coding them in, so that's cost on top again, finding talent to do that work as well will require looking for, and paying for as well, you get what you pay for, and that doesn't come truer than staff for game dev.

FPSC is different in that you can make a commercial game with it, it has everything you need, it has faults, I wont go into those, don't want fan boys getting their knickers in a twist, but for an entry level engine it can do the job but that's a big IF, you have the talent and the hard work to do so. Now as for saying many people here could work on other engines, good luck to you, if the publisher is not paying for it, and getting money out of low tier pubs is like getting blood out of a stone, then FPSC is one of the few options, I will say, if you cant make a game out of this engine, forget it, you wont make a game with any and developing is not for you.

As for low prices for FPSC content, hell are they just, you will not find cheaper around period, if you don't get bulk sales its an insult to sell content so cheap, If high end asset makers cant make a lot of sales from fpsc, then forget it, don't insult yourself with the cheap prices, so I guess its up to the fpsc market, if they buy in good numbers fine, if not then commercial artists will not distribute.

As for this pack, its not at commercial artists level, its not commercial game quality, its a a bit of an insult to sell it at the same price as what artists and developers who have worked in industry jobs are selling there content at.

Like I said, its a few hole punches, anyone who thinks the same amount of effort has gone into this as official packs, go make the same quality product as what is sold at rock bottom prices as what is officially sold to fpsc users, I think there is perhaps some ignorance in exactly what degree of skill and time is required to produce work at the quality of the official art packs. This product is not in the same degree as it at all, its a days work, how long do you think official packs take to be made, and for commercial quality models by professional artists, how much do you think you would pay, for a high poly next gen character we are talking 1500 USD minimum, that's not game ready or rigged either.

If FPSC users are going to buy this in numbers then I think the pro packs are probably either too cheap or too high a quality, perhaps the professionally made stuff will have to go up in price, perhaps at least double, I'm sure they are going to look at this and get that impression, why spend all the time needed to create commercial quality products at discount prices for FPSC users when someone comes along and just produces random shapes for cutting holes in the BSP, that you could model in a day, its just unbelievable, I'm sure they are watching this very closely and thinking about some price changes, if they will pay that for a bunch of hole punches, what should they be paying for goods that take weeks or months by professionals to make.

cram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 18:25 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2007 19:00
Butter fingers I give You 40€,if i can pay with bankwire.
marc.caals@gmail.com
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 18:31
fallen one.
Seriously i dont see what the problem is with this pack.
Okey fine, you made some very very good points in your post but remember...

That some users dont own a modeling program, or maybe they do but dont have a single clue how to use it.
And of course there are some users who dont have the time to make these sort of things themself.
For those persons, this pack is extremely useful.
It would save them a hell lot of time.

Okey maybe this isnt A-class game quality like you said.
But then again...there arent many packs out yet who have this sort of quality. (of course, there are some...maybe 3 or 4?)

Cheers,
Cheese Cake.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 00:29:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 00:29:58