Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / new nvidia driver warning

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 20:23
er!..if you want to continue using DB then don`t install the latest Nvidia detonator driver, for some reason DB decides it`s running on a 2d graphics card and is unable to use directx, this isn`t a snap rant or something, I spent the last few days playing about with DB and the drivers, (I thought it was DX 9.0a for a while), if you install the new detonator driver DB won`t run, I had to go back to the driver that came with my video card (Ge Force 4 MX), my mate had just bought an fx card and the driver had the same effect on his system (pro couldn`t run) so wait for the next update would seem to be the best bet, cheers.

Mentor.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 20:29
DetonatorFX runs oki on my machines... infact speeds things up and makes alot of features actually work right.
If i were you i'd look at your Systems setup - oftenly it isn't the drivers that cause the problem but something trying to access them, and remember if you install whilst you have an Anti-Virus proggie open (suchas Norton) they won't install properly.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 20:56
except I have reformated and installed twice both times the drivers failed to work, and I am not the only one, just saying it might be wise to wait for a later update, it`s not as though my install was exactly old or laden with the wreckage of previous installations, I reformated, installed from the windows cd then installed a firewall and downloaded all the updates from msn, then tried to install the latest driver, didn`t work, removed and then re-installed, didnt work, went back to original driver, works, followed installation procedure, installed new driver, didn`t work, reformated, updated, installed old driver, works, new driver, doesn`t, looks pretty much like a driver problem to me, what else could it be?, on a system that comprises windows, IE6 and a firewall (and drivers for modem and video card)?, tried it without the firewall too, has to be the driver (plus DX diag crashes).

Mentor.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 22:14
Always keep a copy of the drivers you are using before installing new ones. Don't do this and you could be forced to use old crappy drivers and spend hours searching for some that work.
Nvidia drivers are not the worst for this in my experiance but they are not the best either.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 23:18 Edited at: 10th Jun 2003 23:19
Haven't had any problems using them on any of my three machines - and I generally keep the ant-virus software running too - I dont see why I should have to disable them for every software installation...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 23:41
My system completely up to date and everything works perfectly.

GF4 Ti4600, WinXP, Latest Nvidia driver 44.03

There are a lot of DBPro users with Nvidia cards and no-one else has reported any problems.

You say that dxdiag crashes - what error?

Are you using Windows XP?

Gronda, Gronda
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 00:38 Edited at: 11th Jun 2003 00:40
running Win 98 with all patches and dx 8.1 with a Geforce 4 mx at the moment since I blamed directx initialy and only re-installed to dx 8.1 since I knew I had no problems at all with that installed, I am not running DBpro at the moment (I went back to classic) but my friend is and he has the same problem, when db starts it gives a message about being unable to initialise a buffer and then crashes.
you can use the computer fine as long as you don`t try to run DB, Quake II, RTCW, etc work fine, just DB has the problem, my mate was attempting to reinstall to try to fix the error but has been offline for the last few days, so he may be getting problems, he had just bought his fx 52000 and installed the Nvidia drivers off the website on my suggestion, rather than the ones that came with the card, going back to his original card and driver everything works fine, but he can`t get pro to work with either the downloaded or supplied driver and the new card, when I attempt to start DB classic with the DB 3D card reset tool it tells me that no 3D functions are supported on this card.
if I attempt to run any DB program I get an unable to initialise a directx buffer error, if I install the driver that came with the card then everything works fine, since the only thing I change is the driver, and that over two seperate installs, I assume that some people will get problems with it at some point.

Mentor.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 00:50
There was a lot of stuff on the Blitz sites about how the latest NVidia drivers stuff up DX7 apps, I guess DBC fell victim to this as well.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 01:23
I hope Longhorn is going to get rid of DirectX3-7, its not needed for the latest games, and if you wanted to play a DirectX 7, you should have to download the DX files seperatelly.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 22:04
Some older games were written using the DX7 libs. Blitz3D and DBC are good examples of this.

Personally I hope that the fix the shell in Longhorn, I know that it is fully accelerated, but I hope that has lead to faster operation on the non-GFX side of things as well. Windows XP's explorer really suffers because of its GDI roots.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 22:24
Its time really to stop backwards compatability - it becomes too inefficient for any real use.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 22:49
Quote: "but I hope that has lead to faster operation on the non-GFX side of things as well. Windows XP's explorer really suffers because of its GDI roots."

its not the GDI which slows down explorer... its the File System
FAT32 just isn't upto the task of 32/64bit operations and XP primarily relies on 64bit operations, this is why FAT32 systems can take almost 3-4seconds to access the HDD and searching is just a joke.
You use NTFS and things are greatly improved, being close to WinME speed which is still THE fastest WindowsOS - what the hope with the new File System in Windows .Net will be to enhanced on the Architecture of NTFS to be alot cleaner and faster.

however you have to remember that each windows has increasing ammounts of information that needs to be included in files, especially with Piracy more rampant than ever and all of the companies crying out for an operating system solution to this rather than having to setup thier own - plus added security against hackers for home users as well as business's and additoinal data to makes sure that scandisk on extremely large harddisks doesn't take forever.

I mean think about it, NTFS Scandisk 4.0 can scan the entire surface of a 120Gb HDD just as thoroughly as Scandisk 3.3 could on FAT32 in under 20mins ... if you tried the same size for a FAT32 system in Scandisk 3.3 your talking the better part of 12-13hours.
As Windows now checks on bootup the actual surface of the disk rather than just the overview making sure that this is working at optimum speed is essential.

there are so many things that the File System does which keeps Windows as probably the best maintained OS available which most people don't even realise.
And unfortunately back compatibility will always be an issue because home user just won't be willing to update ALL of the software they have at home when they upgrade thier computer will they?
Most people put off even buying new OS's because of price, if the price of the OS was ontop of a brand new Office + all of thier games etc...
you know that, that would just be poor business sense.
Just look at how many home users avoided WindowsNT like the plague until Windows2000 had full DirectX compatibility, and the fact that if you wanted both you had to setup multiple boot options which home users just dont' want to do.

perhaps they'll release 2 versions of .Net - seperate NT and 9x again the experiment to bring them together was sucessful but the technology was buggy and they really need to start from scratch for a new business model.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 23:17
I hope WinFS will stop files becoming fragmented (much like Linux)...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 01:31
me too... defragging is a pain in the ass, 2hrs when i can't do bugger all every week, then a further 6hrs for virus scanning - ho hum

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 01:35
Better memory managment wouldn't go amiss either - if you've got 512Mb free, why use the swap file ??

Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 01:46 Edited at: 12th Jun 2003 01:46
On a kind of sidenote, windows memory management is a joke, it should be self flushing like on most linux dist's. why this isn't the case for Windows, I really do not know, however there is a free solution and it's called FreeRAM XP Pro.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 01:52
even after 20years i still don't think that Microsoft have a clue how the memory even works mate

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 02:37
Indeed - they really need to get their act together with memory.
What would really help would be if the whole OS was in ROM, with patches ran at boot time from a specific directory (which is how RISCOS worked) - You can get using a computer in around 10 seconds and most of the important files wouldn't get corrupted (and if they did you could use the recovery console).

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 02:50
yeah unfortunately due to the complete DirectX dependancies and MFC dependancies, this would mean the Rom would have to be around 250-300Mb ... would probably cost about the amount that XP Costs now just for the hardware + Microsoft would kick on thier OS cose, i certainly wouldn't fancy having to pay $200 just for my OS.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 02:51
"You use NTFS and things are greatly improved"

I am using NTFS, it still sucks, and apparently this mysterious WinFS is even worse. New shop-brought PCs do it as well. With FAT32 it was indeed slower, but that depended on the HD.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 03:13
Quote: "and apparently this mysterious WinFS is even worse"

that would be some feat to know as a basic version hasn't even been coded yet, its all still in development - "longhorn" currently still uses NTFS lol

as for NTFS sucking, compaired to what exactly?
and FAT32 being slower based on HDDs is a load of bollocks completely outright ... i've got several HDDs i've been reinstalling over the past few days, all different sizes/makes/speeds/cache - not one even one would i say FAT32 performs even halfway decently under XP.
you want to see that NTFS is truely capable of get yourself a SCSI system, i have on here 4HDDs right now 1x DMA/66 20Gb 2x ATA/133 250Gb 1x SCSI Raid 300Gb ... now the SCSI is naturally faster than the rest as it's Raid allows it upto 200Mbit/sec with a 4Mbyte Cache - as opposed to the 133Mbit/sec ATA drive with 1Mbyte Cache.

now with FAT32 i can move 1Gb folders around my SCSI within a matter of 45seconds which yes is impressive, and on NTFS i can do in around 6seconds.
On my ATA however this is a different entirely as in FAT32 i can move a 1Gb folder within 3minutes and on NTFS i can do it within 73seconds.

so although yeah a harddisk would make a difference on that scale, as most people only use ATA/EIDE drives, then really i don't think you could even come close to comparing those speeds ... and the difference of the DMA/66 against the ATA/133 isn't really too big, just like a matter of a 30seconds for FAT32 and 10seconds for NTFS.

it also depends heavily on the data set you've given it though... as my NTFS is on 4096 but a format of 512 would be one hell of alot faster. FAT32 is the same, but if you go under 64k then older DOS's will not regonise the drive and the speed gained really isn't as close to NTFS, so not really worth it.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 12:12
What I dislike about NTFS is that it seems that the $BITMAP metafile is always needs modification when chkdsk'ing - it doesn't seem to be as stable as Windows NT NTFS...

And whats with 3 different CHKDSK programs (and they all give different results too) ?
The security is a pain if you swap hard drives around or with another computer - you cant access anything thats been secured..

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 12:15
Be was a very good OS - shame they went bust...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 13:22
i wouldn't worry thier back up again Toad with BeOS Extra/Max in the works - happened with Blaxxun like 2months ago, was amusing actually ... the companies site declared them in bankrupcy, no news for like 2months ... then last week "We're under new management now" lol though it has happened to them like 5times, i wanna know how the hell they keep reviving the company would be good to know lol

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 13:57
"as for NTFS sucking, compaired to what exactly?"

Linux' ext3. I'm not sure it is NTFS though - as it seems a pretty good design and certainly does well in performance tests. The problem is not say speed of copying data, but, for example, when I click copy on a file there is a delay before I can move out of the folder to paste it elsewhere, it happens on new setups, although it was worse since SP1, and I have downloaded the memory bug patch for SP1. Weird.

In any case, KDE has always seemed faster than explorer for me.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 14:07
Do Palm still own Be Inc., or have they sold it on (if so, shades of Commodore there).

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 15:40
Rob that sound like a Fragmented HDD to me, because accessing file data on my system is instant apart from on my FAT32 drive ... and that only has FAT32 because i've for WinME on it.

And yeah i think Palm are still the majority share holders ... probably how they survived total liquidation, they probably declared bankrupty had a new share investor buy out atleast 25% of thier shares and brunt atleast 10% of the bank debt
i'll see if i can find thier new site and get you an email, might be easier to ask them about it direct.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 15:49
I've found the OpenBeOs site - at the moment it looks like its going to follow the Linux school of development...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 18:48
polly best until it can actually compete against Microsoft

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:43:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:43:50