Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / what IS uv?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 02:34
ok......I have looked everywhere!! What exactly IS UV? I wanna know ALL about it!!
"Today is the tommorow we worried about yesterday"
Ocean Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 05:57
In DarkBASIC I havew no idea. In the real world it is ultraviolet, powerful rays released from the sun that cause you to get sunburned.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 06:12
Usually when you hear UV it referrs to UV coordinates of an object. Those coordinates are assigned to an object for a texture. You assign these points in a UV Mapping program, like Lithium Unwrap. The program assigns parts on the model, to parts on the texture map. These are called UV points.

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
afecelis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 09:37
as RPgamer said. UVs are texture coordinates that help you display textures on 3d objects properly. This is called uv mapping. A simple uv mapping assumes uv the same as x,y coordinate directions (I think U is horizontal and V is vertical). Many 3d programs use this maping coordinate system for the proper display of textures. From the basic uv mapping many more are created. Texturing a rectangle shape would be basic uv mapping, then we have a box, etc etc etc. But there's alos cilindrical uv mapping, spherical, planar, etc etc etc.

Once the computer knows how it's going to display the coordinates in th U-V directions you can change the U-V values to make it tile and stretch more in one direction or the other.

phewh!

cheers!

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 13:57
The uv values of a vertex range from 0 to 1, where 0 is the top/left edge of your texture, and 1 is the bottom/right edge. By specifying coordinates between 0 and 1 for the vertices of a polygon, you can say which bit of the texture is to be drawn on that polygon. You are effectively using the uv coordinates of the vertices to (metaphorically) draw a triangle on the texture, the contents of this triangle on the texture image will then be pasted onto the polygon.

Here's a diagram (excuse the artwork):

In Dark Basic you can only manipulate UV coordinates directly using memblocks, see http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=10986&b=11. However there are commands to scale and scroll existing uv values, you can find them in the help files under Basic 3D.

If you specify a uv coordinate out of range (0-1), there are different things it can do, either repeat the texture over and over, or clamp the last pixel in the texture map, so every other pixel after it (outside the map) is the same colour. You can use a set object texture command to define this I think.

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 12:45:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 12:45:07