Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Text Adventure Compo - Reality Bend

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 03:16 Edited at: 12th Oct 2007 17:33
My first WIP. Yay!

This is going to be my entry for the 2007 Text Adventure Compo. It is set in the future, but the future has been turned into the past by the greatest evil of our time - REALITY TV.

I consider it to be nearly done, though I will adda as many new areas as I can between now and the deadline. I've been working on it on and off since June.

The major accomplishments (for lack of a better word) in it are a General Store where you can buy weapons, armor, and food, and the simple but effective parsing system that checks the user's input for key words.

Any feedback is welcome, I'd like some thoughts other than my own . Also, if you find any commands that don't work but you'd like to see added, I'll add them in.

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire!" —Jaya Ballard, task mage

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 06:20
Your story is horrifying! Absolute atrocity! Terrible!
Your world plunged into despair in a single line... The new president of the world...

I did manage to crash it, couldn't leave the store and kept asking if I wanted to sell a skateboard. Oh, and, I took 5 torches where there were 2 (city gate).

Quite fun, though.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 06:47
Lol, thanks, maybe I should do some work on the story rather than new areas, it's been completely unchanged since I started.

I fixed the skateboard thing, there was one 0 where there should have been a 1. Wow. I also fixed the torch glitch.

I'll update the download shortly.

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire!" —Jaya Ballard, task mage
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 06:53
The story is good, add some areas .

I couldn't go in the forest, btw.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 16:57
Ok, I did about 15 minutes of work on the story last night, and I believe that it is much better now.

Next, I'll probably add some kind of battle in the swamp, make the final battle with the TV Host an actual battle, and make it so you can go into the forest.

The first download now has the new story.
Thanks for the comments.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 00:34
I've played Reality Bend very briefly, and I will say that the concept is excellent, but the execution is perhaps a bit iffy. It's great that you've managed to get a parser working, well done there, but... well, in the first room I decided to open the closet, and found a travelling cloak. So I typed "get cloak", "get travelling cloak", "get worn travelling cloak", "examine cloak", "obtain cloak", "pick up cloak"... you get the idea. Every time, I was told that the command was not understood. Now, while I would be fine with being told I can't pick it up for whatever reason (I dunno, it's glued to the closet or something ) I don't like the feeling of being unsure what it's there for. I have the nagging idea that maybe I was meant to do something with it, or maybe I should have tried more words until I found one that allowed me to pick it up. This would have been ok, but, upon leaving the room and seeing that there were double doors leading to a bar, I tried "go bar", then "go to bar" then "enter bar" and eventually "go through double doors". None were understood. So I thought, well, maybe I'm not meant to go there. So I did "examine counter", which worked, and found that a door led to the office. "Enter office" and "go to office" yielded nothing.

I'm not much of a stickler, but I do like to know where I stand in an adventure game - I've played enough point'n'clicks to be morbidly terrified of leaving an area unexplored. And, again, I wouldn't mind about that if it were only in a few places, but I got this feeling with almost everything I did. Sorry to give such negative feedback, I mean the basic idea is horrifying, the whole reality TV thing... but, could you at least point me in the right direction, and tell me if it's me doing something wrong?

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm liking this. But same as Darth Kiwi there was some points like that.

-Go onto the forums its nice! Join now!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 02:48
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I guess Darth Kiwi is saying that I should expand the command library? For example, you are able to take the cloak, but right now you can only take it with "steal", "take", "grab", "store", "carry",or "remove". I see now that it would be good to "pick up" and "obtain."

Also, thanks for pointing out the bar and the office: the bar I simply hadn't completed yet, but I hadn't expected anyone to try and go in the office.

It's a three day weekend, so I'll probably have time to go through and find the areas that need expanding (time to hit the thesaurus!).

Thanks again, this is why I made a WIP

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 03:23
Haha, I tried Take on first try, so I didn't notice that. I wasn't able to get into the bar neither. Expanding the command list will surely help. "Go" would be nice.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 03:51
Yeah, I think the weakest part of the command library are the ones for going between areas. I've made some progress already, I replaced all the lines for taking items, which said:

with

BTW, I liked Duality a lot, Darth Kiwi..."Alec resisted the urge to write on himself." lol

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 04:12
Haha That's quite the difference .

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 05:05
Hmm, you may want a parser of sorts, instead of all those ands. Anyways, looks pretty good otherwise.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 05:27 Edited at: 1st Nov 2007 16:07
Quote: "Haha That's quite the difference ."

Yeah. lol. I hope to have time to do that with all the commands.

Quote: "Hmm, you may want a parser of sorts, instead of all those ands. Anyways, looks pretty good otherwise."

Yes, it is a little bit lacking on the side of efficiency. But I though I was already using a parser? My Search function takes the string entered by the user and looks for those words in it. If it finds the word, it sends the user to the appropriate location. In any case, I don't really want to waste time switching logic systems when there are new areas to be made

Attached is the newest version, 3.4

I did some of that fixing with the commands, and you now have to battle a Mud Monster in the swamp.

Thanks for all the comments

"Fire is always at the top of the food chain, and it has a big appetite."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 16:21
Just so you all know, I'm still working on Reality Bend. I may have more in the future! Some things I plan on adding:

New areas and new battles.
A system that randomizes which enemy you meet in each battle, for a unique game every play.
New items and new towns.
A new battle system including things such as critical hits, poison, etc
An actually battle with the final boss

The problem is that there is so much other stuff I can do, this is taking the back burner right now. But I will come back to it eventually.

1337 programm3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 04:19
This is pretty, good.

I really like the story lol
compliments to you, nice job
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 04:26
Hmmm, thanks. I haven't worked on it in a while, but I have laid out several new areas and such.

It's not hard to make a text adventure, but it is very time consuming.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 07:57
Did you actually notice there's a review about the game in last months' Untitled? I even made it a logo for lack of one, lol.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 15:24
I did notice, that made me happy

I'm going to stop working on Digital Hangman and move over to this again now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:27:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:27:17