Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / update on video driver problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 12:23
FINALY!, I have managed to find the problem with the new video card drivers and DX9, it took 3 days to work out what was happening, when I installed the latest Nvidia driver alongside my DX 9.0a install suddenly my video card ( GeForce 4 MX 440 ) decided it was a 2D card, at the same time Programmer_holic was installing a new fx 5200 video card with the same drivers and it refused to work, also thinking it was a 2D video card, in both cases DX diag gave the same sequence of error messages and we have spent the last few sorting out just what the problem was, for example, on my system I had no errors on directdraw (same for PH), but we both got the same errors in DX diag (although initialy PH had some problems with crashes), as follows

direct 3D 7 interfaces
test failed at step 8 creating 3D device Hresult=0x80004005 (generic failure)
creating DX8 device
test failed at step 8 creating 3D device Hresult=0x8876086c (error code)
this test uses hardware accelerated direct 3D 9 interfaces
test failed at step 8 creating 3D device Hresult=0x8876086c (error code)

after a lot of fiddling with settings and installing different drivers and windows several times we found the problem, but it has TWO solutions (depending on your motherboard), PH REMOVED his AGP port controler driver and allowed windows to install the default driver (not specific to his MOBO), while I found that removal did nothing but downloading the latest driver for my AGP controler cured the faults, now we both have working systems .
so if anyone has problems with DX9.0a and Nvidia drivers (this may also apply to Radeon drivers...not sure), then you may well be advised to remove or update your current MOBO AGP controler driver, since this gets everything working properly, cheers.

Mentor.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2003 13:25
lol... good to know, i use Via Hyperon & nForce though (^_^)

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:33:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:33:16