Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / MP flight engine Script Problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I took the tempest plugin, and a space flight engine that I modified for my uses...yet i seem to be having some problems I just can't figure out. I've searched these forums for tips, and worked for days on this...i'm finally to the point to where i think i need to ask for help(my wife is giving me hell for spending so much time on it). I'm basically creating a MP space flight battle sim, and I feel i've made some progress, but i'm stuck in a couple places...here are my questions....

1) a radar box, I know i can use an overhead cam...but not sure how to create a small split screen in the corner to do it.

2) I am trying to get chat to working. I notice the messages flash to the players, but since it's in the middle of a loop, it's not time enough to read the message. I'm afraid to use any type of wait function because I dont want to slow the loop down. So the problem is that the messages dont stay on the screen long enough. (look for the message$ variable)

3) I can't see the other ships. I tested many simplified examples, yet the tfloat doesn't seem to be shared with the other players on the network. I've had it working with the MP script examples and even my own simplified scripts...but for some reason i'm having a hard time getting this to work. Not sure if i should do something with object 10 or not....i'm focusing on OURID. This part he really giving me a headache, though i'm sure it lies somewhere in the network function at the bottom of the script. HELP!

Anyway, i'm sure if i can figure these details out, i can figure out how to broadcast bullets, explosions, etc in MP...but until i get these problems fixed, i'm kinda at a standstill. I've already worked out a may/ship plug and play system using raw files(not included in this script), i've put alot of work into this. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Here is my code....

PresFox
Years of Service
User Offline
i didnt have time to look @ your code, but maybe this helps

1. Dont use a overhead cam, it really slows things down, use a mathematical solution, you have the position of all the ships, scale the distances down, and print dots on the screen

2. you dont print them immideatly, you add them to the a array, and make a seperate place in your code where everything in that array is displayed

Microsoft isnt evil, they just make really crappy operating systems -- Linus torvalds
XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, good idea about the array, and i'll see what i can do about using a mathmatical solution for the radar. Note this code in the network function, it appears in the sample i provided that it doesn't call the function in the loop...it did, it's just not pasted as i was testing something else. Note that i can connect to the host, and send messages back. I think the problem is the variable i'm using to send location packets for the ships(OURID), should i send the cone(Object 10) location as well? Maybe i can try that, but of course, i'm still needing help in this area as i'm just brainstorming on that.

Your post was alot of help actually, though i'm still not clear on making a little window for the radar...probably something simple that i'm not seeing. Also, i wont be offended if anyone has a better ideas for execution of this program....especially when it comes to the MP code.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 05:14:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 05:14:48