Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Are there any original viruses or worms anymore?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 02:07
I was looking thru my Apache server logs, and ever single attempt on the server anymore is some mentally retarded cousin of Code Red, or some similar hack trying to sneak into IIS or NT systems through back doors that were closed long ago (even the worst systems, by now, have to have at least crashed if they weren't fixed!).

And the last time I saw hide of a virus was Hanta, the unwavering friend of 99% of all Kazaa downloads, and doubtlessly the most perplexingly pointless virus ever.

Has anyone seen anything interesting, or have we finally reached a point in computing where every worm and virus sort of sucks?

Not that I'm bitching, but why even spread a worm or virus if it is not going to make any real effort?

It seems like there are three breeds of hack anymore: e-mail fwds, lazy little server worms that try to propogate into everything, and the really hard-core, focused efforts on major institutions-- essentially efforts to get in as a user where there are real resources (money, info, etc.) to be exploited.

I suppose it means people who have any skills at all have finally realized that pissing off the whole world is pointless next to hiding away as the user who never was in a bank's computer.

I imagine with all this talk about virtual computing and what not, this will only become more the case.

Am I high, or am I on to something?
Blanka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 02:27
Dongles and chips...

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 05:56
live another thousand years and wait for the Y3K

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell