Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / AGCS Adventure Game Creation System By Aex.uni(aka. Aaron Miller)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 04:26 Edited at: 26th Oct 2007 13:27

Adventure Game Creation System
Description
The Adventure Game Creation System (AGCS) is a game creation software aimed towards development of Super Mario Bros. (SMB) style games (Platformer/Adventure). This is a 2D creation system. It will create game EXEs, as well as allow you to edit your levels, control scripting through the editor, and alter your games in nearly any way you wish, through a VERY simple scripting style. This will cost money, but it will only cost around $10 (USD).

Features Intended or In Use
* Easy to use 2D camera/scrolling.
* Segments/Entities
* Editor
* Runtime
* Intuitive Scripting
* Configuration system for both editor and runtime
* etc.

As part of my duty as Beta and 2d artist at Aex.uni I'm proud to annouce that Aaron Miller has cleverly made a Mario Style game creator which is currently W.i.p. So here is some screenshots(p.s. I did not make those sprites)

More Screenshots to come...
BTW the Windows GUI was made with Aarons free Windows GUI thingy.
P.s. This works in Vista quite well.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks nice, but im not picking up on what your saying, it sounds like your posting Aaron Millers work.

Your about to get pwned.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 05:56 Edited at: 26th Oct 2007 05:57
As a matter of fact he is. Now, here's two screenshots, and an explanation so this thread doesn't get locked.

First screenshot attached, second to come

Adventure Game Creation System
Description
The Adventure Game Creation System (AGCS) is a game creation software aimed towards development of Super Mario Bros. (SMB) style games (Platformer/Adventure). This is a 2D creation system. It will create game EXEs, as well as allow you to edit your levels, control scripting through the editor, and alter your games in nearly any way you wish, through a VERY simple scripting style. This will cost money, but it will only cost around $10 (USD).

Features Intended or In Use
* Easy to use 2D camera/scrolling.
* Segments/Entities
* Editor
* Runtime
* Intuitive Scripting
* Configuration system for both editor and runtime
* etc.

Cheers,

-naota

DBP, $80. DBP's plugins, $320. Watching DBP Crash, Priceless.
NG Website Aex.Uni forums

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 05:57 Edited at: 26th Oct 2007 05:58
Editor.

Cheers,

-naota

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
Why did he make a thead about your game?

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 07:03
@DrewG
This isn't a game. It's game creation software.

He said "If you don't post a WIP on this then I will!"
Then I said "Go ahead"
Then he said "kk"
Then he said again "You sure?"
Then I said "It's up to you... Go ahead."
Then he said "kk"
Then he said, again "Check the WIP boards"
Then I said "Already have."
Then he said "what?"
Then he said, again "Oh, the AGCS thread"
So I said "Yeah, lol."
Then he said "g2g"
Then I said "kk", but the message failed because he went offline.

Cheers,

-naota

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 07:13
Lol

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120....
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 07:28
I should also mention that only the "prototype" is getting built in DBP. The actual one is getting built in my own engine, and my own BASIC.

Cheers,

-naota

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Aaron: Sorry for cutting offline so quickly it was 2:42amXD.
But anyways the reason I posted this was...
a)What aaron posted of our MSN chat.
b)I'm apart of the company Aex.uni as Beta tester and 2d artist.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 15:56 Edited at: 27th Oct 2007 13:05
Another competitive product joins the masses Well, not exactly, the difference between this and mine is quite huge. This looks more like Game Maker, but way cheaper. Good luck

Due to missunderstandings I want to point out that "cheaper" in this post refers to the price, $10 compared to $30 for Game Maker

[center]
CREATE games with ease! NO programming required!
WIP
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2007 22:32
@Digital Awakening
... No need to insult this... On the criticism side, what makes it look less featured?

In addition, this software is only being built to help the development of WinGUI, and other software. Kind of like "donation software".

Cheers,

-naota

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 00:36
No, I wasn't insulting you or anything like that. What I meant was that this and my software looks and works quite differently, yes both are 2D but mine doesn't use scripting and there are other differences as well. From the shots this looks a bit like Game Maker, but Game Maker is $30 so this one is definitely cheaper at it's $10 price

I meant what I said "Good luck"

[center]
WIP
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
It's confusing, i dont know if Deathead or Aaron Miller is making this game.. or they're both doing it (not like that though), so i'll just post this to whomever is creating this, if you need any music for this game (for free). Send me an email or add me to msn

Here's some stuff i made http://www.soundclick.com/peacemaker , i'll make whatever you want, all the way from 8-bit songs to orchestral songs, i hope you'll let me help out

Lord Voldemort needs no signature!
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 01:59 Edited at: 27th Oct 2007 02:07
Okay here comes the bugs...
Legend¬
-Be-able to live with it.
-Bad!
-HORRID!

-Writing on segments has to be clicked on to show up.
-Sometimes if you click on a segment it sometimes doesn't meet up with the mouse.
Well I have only came across 2 bugs.
And even more description...
[center]The adventure game creation system (AGCS) Is going to be as Aaron said...
Quote: "In addition, this software is only being built to help the development of WinGUI, and other software. Kind of like "donation software".
"
As he said he will be making the proper version in his own language(Lunar Basic) But even Iam wondering if Aaron will release a DBP version(probably he will) and a Lunar basic version.

Edit: Lucifer:lol.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 02:10 Edited at: 27th Oct 2007 02:21
@Digital Awakening
Ah, when you said "cheap", I thought you meant quality wise. Thanks though. And good luck with Simple Game Toolkit as well, I really like it. I'd donate to it if I had money.

@Lucifer
lol. Sure, you can add some music and such if you like. However, I can't implement them until I get a new sound card, nor would I be able to listen to them. :/ 8-bit based is fine though.

@Deathead
I'll release/sell the DBP version as version "1.0 - The holy crap wtf is that?" version. Okay, it'll just be called 0.9 actually. 1.0 is when it is actually complete, and as DBP is only for prototyping this, I'll take advantage of it's simplicity, and already existing plugins, and give 1.0 as a free upgrade, as it should be. In addition, the DBP source to the runtime will be released under certain licensing terms to those who buy it. It'll be used mainly for reference for programmers lookin' to make a game.

Edit
Also, these are the commands currently implemented in my engine.

Edit2
All commands prefixed with "twd" are development functions. They are intended for internal use, and for plugin developers.

All commands prefixed with "tw" are normal commands. These are used by the "game/application" programmer.

All commands using the VDDFUNC are commands for the video device driver, and are used for support across multiple renderers, such as Direct3D 9.0c. Some of those commands can also be used by the "game/application" programmer and plugin developers, to get a better interface to that particular rendering device.

Cheers,

-naota

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 08:31
Awesome work so far

Visit The Aex.Uni Forums

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 12:17
This is looking very cool at the moment, good work

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 13:12
Aaron Miller:
Feel free to buy it when it's released

BTW, why the tw/twd in front of the commands if this will be released as a software and not a plugin to DBP? If I was coding I would be annoyed having to type those letters every time.

[center]
WIP
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 13:40
Very slick looking indeed. Dont know if this has been asked, but how does it save games? Does it make an exe? Could we try any game demos made with it?

Good work

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 15:34
Looks cool. I always like these kind of apps where all the hard work is done for you, after working all day seeing something so nice come out of just dragging some things around is a great feeling. Also good choice in your IDE

Synergy Editor - Available in the WIP forum
Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks cool, I think this will be the next big thing lol Good luck on it =]

Nream is DONE! 3D Adventure Maker
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "lol. Sure, you can add some music and such if you like. However, I can't implement them until I get a new sound card, nor would I be able to listen to them. :/ 8-bit based is fine though. "

great i hope to be able to speak with you more on msn, and you could tell me better what kind of music you'd like.

maybe you could send me a video of the gameplay? so i can see how i could make music that would fit well?

Lord Voldemort needs no signature!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2007 06:37
@Digital Awakening
Many commands would conflict with Windows commands, or other API commands. Using tw is better than using a namespace for many reasons. Plus it allows the users to know what API they are actually using for that command, and can better reference it. The BASIC won't use the tw/twd prefix though, just the C/C++ engine.

@Zotoaster
It uses a runtime EXE which goes through a series of scripting events, which are so easy to understand that you could probably make your own game with just the scripts, lol. I'll release a demo when one is ready. All the game engine framework (For example, jumping control, level camera, etc), is likely to be turned into a plugin and then used from there to avoid code theft when the source code to the runtime is released. I've decided that the people who have bought AGCS will get the full version of the plugin, and that the code will be released to everyone, but with the demo version of the plugin. It's not really a plugin per-say though, more of a "code-vault".

@John Y
Indeed.

@Lucifer
We've already spoken on MSN now. Just letting others know that really.

@Everyone
Credits
=======
Lead Programmer
Aaron J. Miller

Music and Sound
Kári Sigurðsson

Artwork
Deathead

<The Nintendo artwork will not be used in the final product, only for testing until more artwork is made by Deathead>

Cheers,

-naota

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah. So far I'm designing Grass and Mud segments for this. But I lost everything I made last night

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 06:36 Edited at: 1st Nov 2007 06:37
OKAY. I happened to do some programming for this... After putting it off for around 3 days and instead reading much, much, much glorious Planet Zebeth web comic reading, I decided to work on this once more. <Sorry for the 3 day delay> However, you can thank Planet Zebeth for one thing, as it happened to remind me of something... It reminded me that some adventure games aren't simply horizontally scrolling, hell, even SMB 3 has some vertical scrolling.

So I decided to add a wide range of support to both horizontal, and vertical scrolling! You can have 320 horizontal tiles, with each tile at whatever tile at the tile width chosen (default is 16 pixels), and 240 vertical tiles at the tile height chosen (default is 16 pixels). Giving a default range of 5120x3840 pixels! And this may be changed to around 32x32 sized tiles, giving double that! Now, the size of the level might change to a larger amount, or to an OPTIONAL amount This is because of the AGCS plugin, as mentioned earlier, which will help me by implementing some good old fashioned C++ awsomeness to the code.

In addition, I fixed a scrolling bug with the level editor, and reduced the complexity of the scrolling placement (On the programming level). So that's a good thing Next up is to make the scrolling, erm, not so fast, then to allow the level to load up in a "fly-through" mode on the runtime.

Cheers,

-naota

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 14:20
Quote: "giving double that!"

Actually 32x32 = 4 * 16x16

[center]
WIP
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 21:36
I meant on each individual axis.

Cheers,

-naota

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2007 02:17
Sorry for the double post, but I'm sort of venting my frustration with DBP, and explaining progress here, so here goes nothing:

The good news
Well, I've been working on the AGCS plugin, which now has several commands, here's the INI file actually:

And so, the plugin is making progress. In addition, I've allowed the ability to include the msvcr90.dll file, which the plugin requires, into the main executable. Now if only the guy building the newton wrapper did this with newton.dll, eh? Anyways, it's making some good progress here.

Compiler Problems
Whenever I try to compile the damn thing, the DBP Compiler crashes! I've even rebooted my computer to make sure nothing was interfering. So now we can see how many loose pointers are in DBP, eh? <No offense, it's for it's own good>

After several tests, I found out it occurs at the exported "GetNumDependencies" function, which simply does this:

So, as you can see, there is quite a bit of frustration at what I can't do. Furthermore, I have those debug tidbits scattered all over the place so I know where the compiler "strikes" at. And that's the ONLY function that "gets hit". So, that's why I believe there's loose pointers in the DBPro Compiler. Which is never any good.

More Frustration
Due to all the frustration I'm having with this damn thing I feel like just writing it ALL in C++/My Basic. And I would too, but I haven't got support for PNG, TGA, or any image format besides BMP. Otherwise I would.... Oh man I would DEFINATELY do that, but PNG and JPG are pretty difficult for me to get working right. I have a book somewhere which explains how to load TGA though, so I could add TGA support pretty easily I suppose. Adding DDS support, but that's all buggy for some reason. Haven't bothered to update the DDS loader <Which doesn't work>.

Plus I finished reading all the Planet Zebeth online comics, so now I have NOTHING to do when I'm this frustrated! Damn keeping a strict "This project only" type of attitude sucks. :/ Oh, and I somehow lost my 2 hour long Super Metroid save! So, yeah, no help there, stupid crashing emulators... No sanity around here!

Monkeys
As for scripting, I decided to use GameMonkey. I'm not gonna get DarkScript <Even though it uses GameMonkey>, because I need to be able to implement it through C++. Here's a link to GameMonkey, btw: http://www.somedude.net/gamemonkey/. And here's some example:

For AGCS, there will be functions like that. For example, "OnPlayerCollision", "OnControlUp", "OnControlFireA", "OnStep", etc. Pretty much like the Game Maker events. I'm thinking of providing a way to "compile" said scripts as well so that they'd be safe. That, or just offer some neat encryption.

Conclusion
Well, that's what's been happening lately with AGCS. Deathead's been working on artwork. I've been getting pissed at DBP. etc.

Cheers,

-naota

"I'd newbie slap here, but I've no idea how far I'd need slap before they'd come back with a clue." - VanB
Aex.Uni forums
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Haha! And BTW I'm thinking of having more artists on the team. because I mostly think that you'll be better than meXD.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:35:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:35:59