Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Game Idea..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 07:19
Since im currently waiting for a reply to a question i posted, i guess i can ramble about my idea to see opinions. I realize that it will probally be near-impossible for a noob like me to finish the product, but im a skilled modeler.. so i figure i can get a basic generic version of the code down with all the pretty art stuff in it and then i can get someone who actually knows what they are doing to help me!..

For some reason i really like the combat system in pencil and paper RPGs, and i like FirstPersonShooters, and i Liked Max Payne Slowmo stuff, and.. i like grungy sci fi (like FF7's world). so duh i wanna make something like that. I also like RPGs buti dunno how that will fit in there..
So basically, i think it would be cool to have a game that plays like a FPS, but when a combat situation occurs the game speed slows to a crawl.. and you can see bullets dodge them, etc.. yeah yeah sounds alot like the matrix or just max payne.. but i want to include various abilities, highjump, flight, melee, misc magic powers.. a actually usefull dodge system.. instead of the generic strafe back and forth stuff.. so the game will be more about tactics, predicting enemys moves, attacks, and avoiding attacks. I figure bullets will move about as fast as missles in normal games, and missles will be extremely slow. Once all agressors are dead, the speed resumes to normal. The first time you are attacked again and take damage, or afflict damage on another person, it slows again. I think ill also made damage quazi-random.. as in RPGs and that will be easy.. just use a damage system like damage = 19+rnd(20) so damage = 20-40
It seems ambitious but i actually had a small part of it done for q3 at one time.. but q3's engine blows for adding new effects.
realistically, i figure my first draft will be really generic, have clunky controls, and most of my ideas wont be implemented, but i think i can eventually get it done..

ok im done yammering, any flames, opinions, advice?
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 09:09
The idea isn't too bad, but something tells me that fighting in slow motion will not be very exciting....not matter how it's done...

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 09:27
Fighting in slow motion should be an ultimate move

It would be a cool part of the game but I don't agree it would be interesting for all combat to be forced into this method.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
You should only allow the slow mo to be activated by the palyer and it can only last for a certain period of time like energy or stamina or something. Other wise its to easy and gets boring. And the guns should be powerful but they would be useless if you cant hit anything.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 07:26
Just make a couple super moves for each char. so when they use them the game slows down, and your character uses that super move.
It could be something like in FF9 where once you get on a trans mode.
You can use one of those super moves.

For example:
Once your player deals 100 total damage to enemy players a seperate bar on the bottom of the screen will be filled, then you can use your super move, and it will do tons of damage.

Because having the whole game in slow motion would get old pretty fast, and kinda boring.But you can build off of what you have already.

This is just my suggestion.

Yellow's Modeling site
http://www23.brinkster.com/yellowmodels/default.htm
Check here to see my various 3d models
Uriel The Ignoble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 08:22
thanx for the suggestions.
i figured slowmo would be fun, because i constantly play Perfect Dark in slow-mo mode.. i love getting the bots right in the eye with the crossbow ^.^

hmm i think ill consider some of your suggestions.. i could make slow combat selectable.. i think ill make most of the levels filled with wussy enemies, and there could be a boss at the end of each.. and the player would have to save up enough slow-mo to be able to survive the boss, who will be pretty tough..

anywayz, thats kind of getting ahead of myself, all i have now is a randomized textured matrix with a Box that can move and jump :-p its a start tho!!

Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 19:27
In the game "Enter the Matrix" you can turn slow-mo on and off at will and when it is activated, you can do special moves.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 21:04
Hey shadow in EtM have you been able to pull off that Triple Height Kick?

No matter how much i try i alway end up doing it wrong and kick them twice. And the backflip kick is another one i've not quite mastered yet
frustrates me so much i decide to take a spell and play Oni to cool off (Oni's Moves just kick ass hehee)

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 02:45:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 02:45:10