Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 2 in 1 Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 22:24 Edited at: 31st Oct 2007 22:26
I created an engine to use as a space battle sim(Multiplayer) which is going well, but though i'm not to this point yet I wanted to collect ideas in advance since i'm still not clear on how i'm going to do this(but I know it can be done in one way or another). Here's the trick....

If a player has a collision with a planet, it's going to show a short video of his ship going in for a landing, and then switch to almost another game, but with the same stats. It will then load a level of his ship parked on the surface of a terrain, and him driving around in a little rover with a cannon, able to shoot other rovers. If he collides with his parked ship with the tank...once again a video will show him taking off and it will go back to where he left off on the space sim part of it.

I know how to handle the FPS part of it, but not clear if i can go from level to level like this without disturbing my main space sim loop. I thought about just placing the FPS part of it somewhere in 3D space outside the space sphere. But before i went to far into it, thought i'd get some suggestions from the community first. I'm also not clear on how i'm going to switch screens and views so quickly, especially with two different loops going on(assuming thats the case). When this project is complete, I plan on posting all of it's code up here for others to learn from(I see alot of requests for space sim MP code). In the meantime, if anyone needs to see my space sim code, just say so and i'll post it up here. As of right now, here is what my loop looks like so you can get an idea of what i'm working with...

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 01:44
Quote: "I'm also not clear on how i'm going to switch screens and views so quickly, especially with two different loops going on(assuming thats the case)."

It won't. DB isn't able to do that.

One idea would be maybe detect the distance from the planet and when close enough, turn fog on with a long fog distance so you don't see it. Then quickly decrease the fog distance so the screen goes misty, then completely white.

You then start the video running which just happens to start in the clouds and end when the ship has landed. At which point, you fade out the video clip and fade in the new scene.

This should all be seamless - well it is in my mind anyway...

When you are on a planet, I would suggest that you jump to an 'OnAPlanet:' procedure where program control gets trapped by a loop. After the take-off video sequence, (where everything above gets done in reverse), your program drops back into the main program loop.

TDK_Man

XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the tips. Rather unsure how i'm going to create a plain without affecting the rest of the universe. Is it possible to just put the hovertanks on the planet themselves assuming the planet object is long enough? If so, instead of creating some new plain, the tanks can just do thier battles on the surface of the actual planet object...if they look up, they will see ships flying overhead and such...same starmap, etc. Would this be the easiest approach? If so, is it possible? If not, will I be able to refresh my screen with a totally new world, without affecting the latter? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to get a focus on what i'm doing here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 08:27:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 08:27:22