Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Midi plugin

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 18:26 Edited at: 1st Nov 2007 18:28
Greetings.

I got quite a few views of my previous post about this project (ten times or so more than I had expected for this kind of thing, so thanks, viewers ).

Anyways, I got stuck with a source that wouldn't compile correctly last time; I've still got no idea why it wouldn't work, but I have this week off, so I decided to rewrite it...

And here's the result.

This time both midiIn and midiOut is supported (anybody up for making a tracker/sequencer? )

The plugin's about finished, but I'd like to get your ideas on it, so if you feel that somethings missing, please tell me and I'll see if I can get it into the final version.
Current commands include, amongst other things, noteOn/Off, setting instruments (a list of standard Midi instruments is included with the helpfiles), possibility to change midiControls, with shortcuts to the most common ones, such as volume, panning and pitch, listing midiIn/Out devices on system and a midiIn buffer constantly being updated whenever a midiIn message is received.

Currently there's no included functions to get any individual data from a midiIn message; you'll have to break out things like note number etc. from these yourself if you'd need to (it shouldn't be to hard though).

Also, there is no example source at this time, but a really simple demonstration is included in the installer.

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
thebulk71
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 15:49
this is exactly what I needed for a project of mine.

i'm going to try this out as soon as i can. thanks for the dll
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2007 21:58
Nice, you're welcome

Hm... now that it's been updated, there's almost no interest at all.... chagrinning

aristid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 16:37 Edited at: 6th Jan 2008 16:42
Hello Rudolpho, I am an old darkbasic user, even released a game a while back (phoenicas), but mainly a musician.
This is a godsend.
I have been looking for easy languages supporting midi and was not really expecting to find this, it is greatly appreciated.
DB is currently out of my computer, so I'll have to reinstall etc and I dont know how well this will go, but I would encourage you not to stop development (if there's anything left to do).
This is probably not the right place to advertise though, but I am certain many musicians-programmers will love to have the power of DB combined with midi. - myself included -
Maybe check out max users, c-sound users etc.

anyways, thanks so much in advance, feel free to email me, I'd love to hear from you.

Off the top of my head, and not having seen your plugin yet, I'd love it if you had small examples doing trivial stuff, like simple midi recording and playback etc etc.

best of luck,
aristides.

phoenicas - a frantic 2d shooter
http://www.phoenicas.com
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 22:37
Very nice to hear that it appeals to you, aristid
I'm a musician myself (maybe you guessed that already) and seeing as there were no midi (at least not any midiIN) oplugins around for DBP, I thought I'd give it a try.

Unfortunately, I don't know if a DBP application runs fast enough to give you the desired latency for the midi message sending.
Perhaps you could have that sorted out by letting the plugin do more work, however that would loose you some of the control....
Maybe if I added an option to let the dll callback function handle midiTHRU itself, that would save quite some valuable time. I might look into that when I get the time.
Should you be interrested to talk about any future development of the plugin, you could always send me an email; I would be glad to see such interrest in my work

I've taken the time to write an example that does some really simple recording and playback using arrays, the timer() function and my midi plugin.
Apart from the slightly slow latency between pressing the note and hearing it (which could be reduced by rearranging the command order, however, I thought it better to prioritate the saving of the timestamp), it works pretty neat.

(Maybe slightly overcommented, but just so that there won't be any problems understanding it).

Thank you again aristides, for getting me to write a real example finally (the plugin's been out here for over two months :p )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:25:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:25:32