Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Wartorn: Battlefields | Battle Card Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 00:29 Edited at: 9th Nov 2007 05:58
Watch the Intro sequence of Wartorn: Battlefields

After Wartorn: Jarod's Fall I'm proud to present my next WIP, Wartorn: Battlefields. I personally enjoyed the alternative approach to gaming in Jarod's Fall (which was a text-adventure), and decided to embark on yet another alternative idea. Also, I'm combining this project with my first step into multiplayer gameplay. After reading the "Are card games marketable" thread in Game Design Theory, I decided to take my fictional universe with the struggle of Jarod, Keith and their companions as a setting for a game once more.

TGC Theory:

Wartorn: Battlefields
I'm trying to take a new approach to the genre. Wartorn: Battlefields will hold a complex strategy element found in TBS's like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, allowing the player to conquer cities and bases, upgrade and equip units and tactically use available resources. There will be the infamous and disposable soldiers for conquering and basic fighting, and ground vehicles, airplanes and spacecrafts and huge battlecruisers.

Ofcourse some hero cards will be available as well. The goal of the game is to destroy all Control points a player has over his forces. This can only be done if there are no defending units, or no defending units of a capable type (Ground units cannot defend against Air units).

I'll be posting an image of how the game looks at this moment. It is reaching a playable state as we speak, and I hope to have a demo ready within one or two months - this due to some extreme amounts of things that have to be done, allowing me to sleep about 4-5 hours a day. Nevertheless, Wartorn: Battlefields is advanced enough to post about it.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 00:37
Looks fun. Looking forward to playing.

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 01:27
olgi.

PS Osiris, Who is Max-Tuesday? I pay my deepest regrets (well second deepest)

alus.portbb.com go there.
[quote]A book. I hate books. book is stupid. I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes.[/quote} -zenicanin14 the stupidest user in the world.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 05:12
Looks nice, should be very interesting and fun to play considering it's in the Wartorn universe . Keep it up, I hope to see more progress soon.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 10:51
For a digital TGC rules and layout are very important. I suggest you download the online version of Magic the gathering and see how it looks. I like it and it is perhaps the most playable cardgame I've seen for PCs. You can also take a look at the online version of Yu-gi-oh, the rules are terrible (cards are not balanced like in Magic) but the layout of the PC game is quite good.

* Most Trading Card Games revolve around the concept of collecting and winning cards through buying cards or winning games.

They are also known as Collectible Card Games. It's not a TGC/CCG unless people can collect and trade cards and thus build their own decks. Otherwise it's just a card game.

* Most TCG's have a form of action requirement, as Mana, Power or Sacrifice.

In various forms.

* Most TCG's have a medieval or fantasy approach.

I would say less then half. There are tons of TGCs out there, Magic is the biggest.

* Most TCG's are based upon using units to attack an abstract value as HP or life power.
* Most TCG's are unit focussed.

Some don't use units (you are 1 character) and some use your deck of cards as "life" (you lose undrawn cards if you are damaged). But yeah, most seems to be units attacking a player's life.

* Most TCG's have an attack and defense phase that sums up to a full turn. After a turn, the other player gets his or her turn.

In some games both players play in all turns, they just shift initiative. So if it's the attack phase the one with the initiative attack first and then the other attack back.

There are a ton of TGCs out there and I have only tried a few.

[center]
CREATE games with ease! NO programming required!
WIP
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 13:39
Looks good!

STOP reading my signature!
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 16:26
ooooooooo rami! Looks very nice so far..I wants to play.

Dr. Mannete- OMG It's Zombie's voice, it's so Suave!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 17:43 Edited at: 8th Nov 2007 18:47
I've got all rules layed out in a Words document. I'm struggling with some equipment rules and special rules for cards, probably requiring a rewrite of some things. Not that I care, I'll probably be rewriting this a lót before I'll be able to do some multiplayer and rewrite this to plains instead of sprites. Although I'm thinking of not doing that and seeing how this turns out being sprites. I think I can do some nifty effects if I mix both of them, in any case.

Relatively, Fantasy/Medieval holds the majority. Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic and Pokémon are the biggest card-games I'm aware of, and they all have a fantasy approach in either the past or present.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 20:46
Rami:
I wouldn't exactly call Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon fantasy (I would call them manga/anime or comic/cartoon) but still that's only 3 games. If you count the games (there are many available that only few are aware about) I'm sure the fantasy games does not make up half. But then Magic probably counts for more then half the players and even more when it comes to money and cards printed. I can mention card games built on DC Comics and Marvel comics as an example, Lego's Bionicle is another.

I don't think you will have any problems drawing that few sprites on screen and a lot of effects, but that part of graphics is not really required. Good artwork is always welcome. It is however very important that the user can easily follow the game, which is where many digital card games lacks. One thing that I really like about Magic Online and Yu-Gi-Oh Online (I don't like Yu-Gi-Oh as a game) is that you can hover your mouse over a card too see a larger image of it.

A good TCG is a lot of fun to play so I wish you good luck

[center]
WIP
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 00:29 Edited at: 9th Nov 2007 05:57
Heh, I call anything that uses weird monsters fantasy. Heck, Alien vs Predator is fantasy in my book (Although the subcategory Sci-Fi).

Thanks. Do check out the link at the top for the intro. It's updated and now contains some extra footage.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 12:01
Rami:
The intro movie doesn't say much about the game itself, it's a cool thing to have but not necessary compared to a good gameplay.

Anway, I kinda like your movie. It have a good sense of drama and a feel of war, I wouldn't change a thing on animation and camera. 2 things you need to change though:

1) Skip the whole deal about mentioning the coordinates in the beginning, it's distracting, ugly and unrealistic. They should simply mention that they have reach the destination, everybody involved should know where that is; the rest of us have no clue anyway.

2) You need a cool background for the 2nd scene, the flyover. But I guess that's a work in progress and that a 3D scene is in the making?

[center]
WIP
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 13:11
Yup. It's a WIP, it'll be a desert environment. I'm keeping the coordinates. Something to do with three things: the story, Wartorn: Jarod's Fall and my real life. They are chosen for a good reason.

In the story, the Gail is preparing an assault on a heavily fortified base. The coordinates are not coordinates (well, they are, but not of the planet we're watching at), by the way. They do present them that way, but actually it's a code and fake signal for the Allegiance. In the story, the Allegiance falls for the trick at first and that saves the Remnant forces 30-40 minutes of time before Allegiance reinforcements can arrive.

This assault has to start simultaneously to avoid warning other planets and this signal was the green light for the other Remnant Battlecruisers that the Gail was both in place and starting the assault. The combined assault is intended to scatter Allegiance forces.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 15:50
I see. Still, it's a bit off to have them in the movie itself; especially for people who have no clue about them. If you have them explained in detail somewhere else they are not necessary to have in the intro movie, which should be short and attention grabbing. Don't keep them in there just because they have a special meaning to you or a few people ("kill your darlings"). Well, it's up to you; it doesn't make or break the game.

[center]
WIP
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 17:44
Quote: "PS Osiris, Who is Max-Tuesday? I pay my deepest regrets (well second deepest)"

Oh, it's just Max, it was my dog, he died on Tuesday.

So Rami, is there gonna be a make your own card feature?

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 19:54
Yeah, there will be a make your own card feature through an external .txt file.

The coordinates will be explained in the games' story mode.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
The Intro looks more like a intro to a stratergy game. That would be awesome actually if it was.

[href=http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116635&b=24][center]
[/href]Sig is temp as I'm making another now.
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 01:32
Is doing a card game difficult as far as coding goes? I've written out psuedo code and it doesn't seem to difficult but was just curious.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 04:21 Edited at: 10th Nov 2007 04:28
Depends on how far you want to take it. Up till now, it's been relatively easy compared to Wartorn: Jarod's Fall and my first full project (cancelled, tho') Awakening.

I'm taking it to the point where there is a story mode with preset scenario's, customizable decks and quite complex rules for a cardgame.

Yes, it looks like the intro for a strategy game. If it's up to me, this game will be as much of a strategic game as it will be a card game. If I get good enough, I might try taking Wartorn to a 3rd person hack&slash and later on a RTS. In the meanwhile, I've got another fictional universe (Working title being Exodi) that I might exploit into a game.

It's just that I think Exodis' storyline is more fitting for an RPG, while Wartorns' definitely is more of a strategy type of game. Jarod grows in single battles and training in confined area's. He doesn't travel or wander besides from what he is ought to do - he's quite obedient, I'd daresay. The lead character in Exodi is more of a wanderer.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 07:38
Update
30 out of 100 cards have been created and are ready to read in. I'll playtest the engine and balancing rules with a 100-card datafile. I might add more later, but a player can 'combine', or better said, stack a lot of the available cards to make them more powerful.

By combining, the possibilities are open wide: You can equip an anti-personnel tank with heavy AA-guns, for example. Or group up a number of Wasps into an Wasp squad to assault carriers more efficiently. The Dominican had a hard time with those pests in Wartorn: Jarod's Fall.

I've made one compromis: All air fighters will be able to attack orbital carriers/cruisers. The reason for this was that adding a fourth type card (Soldier, Ground Vehicle, Air Vehicle and an added Space Vehicle) would become rather longwinded and complicated.

Parsing data from the external textfile is a breeze thanks to Latch and PcRaider in DarkBASIC Discussion. I thank them for their help - learning how to parse files is surely a help in this. In other words, thank them for card customisation and addition. I think I'll have the engine support up to 250 cards.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 21:29 Edited at: 10th Nov 2007 21:30
I've added a description field for every card. It's a small addition but it surely increases the playability a lot.

Attachments

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2007 23:43
rami, this looks really impressive. I didn't post about your text adventure, but I played it and was really impressed with it as well. I'm not sure what to say but that from what you read it sound like it's worth playing. I'll be following.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 02:11
Thanks, those quite are the compliment from the creator of Dream. Seems we approach the 'art' in games from different angles . If you have ideas, well, if anyone has ideas, or sees things they don't like, press the big red button and tell me.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 10:01 Edited at: 11th Nov 2007 10:02
Rami:
I like the description field. Here's a thought on layout (although you might already have plans to change it):

1. The type should be clearly written out on top or displayed with an icon, not mixed with the stats.

2. Replace HP, ATT and DEF with icons.

3. Use icons for soldiers, vehicles and crafts and write the ATT and DEF values as #/#.

4. Only write out the others that have a value above 0, hide the rest; that will make it less cluttered.

5. If it's possible it would be nice with larger images of the cards in the description field, it makes it easier to look at the images

BTW, I think you should make the card places stick out less, now they are bright white. You could consider using just a frame, something that doesn't stand out too much from the background. I think it would be both easier on the eyes and make the cards stand out more.

[center]
WIP
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 11:36

Keep up the good work tha_rami, its looking very nice.

Zombie's Early Morning Lament

*sigh* Oh cruel timeclock, why must ye evade the calling of its master? Will I ever complete a game worthy of the eyes of the mighty apollo?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 20:27
Quote: "Rami:
I like the description field. Here's a thought on layout (although you might already have plans to change it):

1. The type should be clearly written out on top or displayed with an icon, not mixed with the stats."

That's an idea. I might do that.

Quote: "2. Replace HP, ATT and DEF with icons."

I beat you with that one .

Quote: "3. Use icons for soldiers, vehicles and crafts and write the ATT and DEF values as #/#."

It's a bit weird, I'm having some problems with text printing over sprites. There is a tooltip when you hoover your mouse over a card, displaying HP/ATT/DEF in that format.

Quote: "4. Only write out the others that have a value above 0, hide the rest; that will make it less cluttered."

It's an image: it will output everything. I was thinking about replacing "0" with "-".

Quote: "5. If it's possible it would be nice with larger images of the cards in the description field, it makes it easier to look at the images"

Would be a possibility later in the project, if/when I decide to make larger or individual cards for some of them. They now share an image based on type of card.

Quote: "BTW, I think you should make the card places stick out less, now they are bright white. You could consider using just a frame, something that doesn't stand out too much from the background. I think it would be both easier on the eyes and make the cards stand out more."

They used to be a soft orange. I've got an idea for them, though. You're right they do screw up the contrast of the card images.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 23:32
looks cool, id like to playtest it if you need anything like that
Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 01:33 Edited at: 12th Nov 2007 01:39
Hey,

This looks awesome, I would recommend making the cards rectangular more like real cards so people feel aesthetically at home, you could remove the bottom bar for space and add it to the right hand side bar instead.

Also The white backgrounds look a bit out of place, maybe a cool little background could replace this.

EDIT: Also a higher resolution background would really make it look professional.

DaZ

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 02:01 Edited at: 12th Nov 2007 02:04
Glad to hear you like it, Casper. I hope to hear your, Bozzy's and Danny's updates on progress soon .

Thanks, both of you.

Heh, the background is a temp. As most people might've noticed with Wartorn: Jarod's Fall, the graphics come last in the development. I'm considering creating new 'empty' card slots.

Update: Equipping works perfectly. You can equip the right cards with the right cards. Problem is, I've not yet created the 'equipped' logo yet. Nor have I created the 'stack'-logo. I'm working on those now.

Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey man,

If you really get some polish on this game I would be willing to donate some free music.

Let me know.

DaZ

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 04:06
Heh, sure. That probably means you're either impressed or sympathetic to my goal of world domination.

Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

I like the idea of your card game and I think it has some great potential!

DaZ

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 05:50 Edited at: 12th Nov 2007 06:05
Thanks .

I've worked for hours on fixing a bug with the equipment system where it would not add any negative stats to a card when equipping with a card with negative side-effects in the description panel. After two hours of searching, I found the bug:

However, the result is quite pretty. Will Jarod, our brave hero, be succesful in defending the City behind him from the three aircrafts and the battlecarrier attacking them; that is, until reinforcements arrive?

His Energy equipment cards might just make out the difference.

The logo's for the Bonus attack/defense stats have just been added. Not in the screenshot yet.

Attachments

Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 20:09 Edited at: 12th Nov 2007 20:10
I felt a bit creative, you can use this or not, lol up to you

DaZ

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 21:08
Heh, thanks DaZ. I like how your card uses the same style and color-scheme as my pause menu. I'll be trying to create everything myself though (except 'non-crucial' media for this project, i.e. custom music, custom SFX).

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 02:26
i just noticed all the opponents cards are upside down.. i know its more 'real' as if youre sitting at a table, but some people have trouble reading upside down and not everybody has one of those swivel monitors ya know
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 02:56
There's no actual text on the images . The description of a card is displayed at the bottom - and don't worry, the text is not flipped over .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 05:04 Edited at: 13th Nov 2007 05:04
Quick update:

Added - Game Menu; Next Phase and Quit are functional.
Added - Stacking ; Fully functional now.
Added - Phases ; You can now switch between Brief, Attack, Defense and Debrief.

Attachments

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 05:05
Looks like it's coming along nicely . What are the different phases for?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 05:10
Briefing: New card is drawn and eventual cooldowns processed. Equipping, Stacking and laying down new cards is done during Briefing. This phase is about done now.

Attack: A player gets the possibility to attack hostile targets. I'm not really sure if I'll go with the battlesystem in mind, where location of a card will matter too, or with a more simplified version.

Defense: The opponent is allowed to attack during this phase. Basically, you see how much damage is done to your cards and the like.

Debriefing: Optional. Will give detailed information about the last turn and will be mostly there for people that like to get indepth. This will most likely be textual.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 03:00
This looks great;

The intro video I found especially interesting; hardly ever you see intros in games here on TGC.

My interest in card games goes as far as Pokemon cards but I'll keep an eye on this. Making a deck of 100 cards must be a mission!

Check out the WIP boards for "Schmump Go-Karting" - screens & videos
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 05:04
This game has the potential to be of the utmost coolness. Good job!

Have you figured out how to do the single player AI? I never thought about AI for a card game, might be tricky!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 05:58
It is tricky, but it seems I'm holding out. The AI uses a workflow in which it:

* Checks for equipable cards and equips if desirable.
* Plays any Control card to increase Control Pool.
* Plays a location card if there are enough soldiers to conquer it.
* Plays as many unit cards as the Control Pool allows him to without limiting attack possibility.
* Attacks as efficiently as it can.
* Debriefs by eventually putting hurt cards in locations.

In other words, it won't be an easy AI.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2007 02:53 Edited at: 15th Nov 2007 02:57
Locations can now be conquered and used to heal damaged units. Stacking is fully functional. You can no longer play cards outside Briefing Phase. You will not recieve backup (new cards) besides in the debriefing phase. The intro is implemented, although I'm not really glad with the compression.

A blue arrow indicates a stack. A yellow plus indicates equipment. A red cross indicates an unconquered city. I'm currently working on implementing the cooldown rules for the cards, and implementing icons to seperate ground from air troops.

I've finished the draft of the story for the game, which will be an alternate version of the story in the actual trilogy (kinda like in Wartorn: Jarod's Fall) - in other words, it will be heavily inspired upon it, have events similar to the actual story but not give away too much of the story.

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2007 04:28
Been busy rebalancing most cities and cards today. After some initial tests I found some cards just have an unfair advantage over others or cost too much for their use.

I've started work on the attack phase.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 07:49
Attack formulas implemented, and that makes the defense ones much easier. Starting on their effects today - I might consider giving cards a life bar as in an RPG. That could be kinda stupid, too - I'll just have to see.

Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Would be a nice way to show how much 'health' a given card has.

DaZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:29:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:29:22