Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Getting to be an Administrator...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 00:10
How come some people are and some aren't? RPG Gamer is only 14, and he is one. No offense to anyone. Just wondering why some people have those powers. I understand why Rich and them are.
Xander
Bolt of Bolt Software Productions
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 00:11
Actually I meant Moderator...

Xander
Bolt of Bolt Software Productions
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 00:18
Because they know the Art of begging
There are sound reasons behind all of the current Moderators, but whether Rich chooses to reveal them is a different matter.

I know a few were taken on because it was felt they needed the extra hands, and a few people were up for the jobs (regardless of age) ... i think most are off thier trial period where Rich keeps an eye on them and are now trustworthy.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 00:29
Rich explained his reasons in the last major topic on this issue, I don't think that there is any need to go over them again.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_103.zip
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 02:11
Most of them are DB oldbies and many have proven their expirience in moderating before. Age isn't a huge issue, they're doing a good job.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 02:22
administrator? u wanna take over Rich's job? lol!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 05:06
Basically, I just posted all over the place helping as many people as I can. I have posted 2213 times, and I have asked 4 or 5 questions. Im not saying its bad to ask questions, they are great. Im just saying that I try to help out a lot.

There is always a lot of debate about "hey I want to be a moderator, Im a good person" but in the end its really up to Rich. Being a mod is nothing special, you dont get anything cool or anything, I like doing it because im giving something back to the DB community for all they have given me! It's basically a 'thank you' to Rich and the DB crew for a great product.

Believe it or not, sometimes it can be a little frustrating! That Team Request forum can be VERY hectic in keeping the peace over there! Honestly, I wish we could put BIG RED FLASHING CAUTION SIGNS around that 'Team Request Rules' post! Boy howdy!

When I started being a mod, it was when they were short in the help area. Yarbles and FroggermonSE were MIA (Missing in Action) and a couple of slots for mods came around and Kang and myself filled in the slots I asked Rich (tried to keep off the begging side ) and I was very happy when I was allowed to be a mod. I just get a good feeling with helping people, and there isnt much more you can do helping then keep the peace at an entire forum!

Well, Im going to go ask one of the higher mods if I should lock up this thread, as thats what happend last time

Cheers,
RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 05:32
Hey you've reappereared rpg.
Welcome back

Yellow's Modeling site
http://www.geocities.com/yellow1dbp/Downloads.html?1055717634367
Check here to see my various 3d models
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 10:12
=P I'm an oldbie... experienced... lovable... and I think I begged for a couple years... ^_^

EVERYONE LOVES THE PUFF!... =\
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 13:16
there should be a read counter.

Being a moderator is about showing maturity and sensible logic .

It should not matter how many posts, i have a moderate post count which does not mean i spend little time here, i read pratically all posts and only reply to posts where i think my point is valid.

I have been rooting to be a mod since day 1 (day 3 actually, the 14th post if it remember correctlu ) but casue i am 16 and am not 'seen' around as much as others i never got in.

But i am supposed to be on a short list. I have got some other things going for me, like a proper Beta tester, until DBDN came along and we were not needed

Well hope i am still on the list, now back to planning my next DB project which will be a scortcher i hope, 2 months full time (5 hours a day) Dev on it and i hope to have some tech demo's in October.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 14:30
I have no Idea, why I could want to be moderator. My opinion is that I should use Darkbasic more than this forum. "Why should I spend time to talk, when the best way of getting better is practice ?"

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 15:06
Hehe, excellent point Damokles, I'm glad I can post at work because I hardly post at night when I work on DB stuff - it distracts me way too much.

The thing that strikes me is - why would anyone beg to moderate?

I mean no offence, but when someone begs to be a moderator, Rich must ask himself why they're so desperate. We know your not power tripping on it or anything Puff, but I can imagine some totally unsuitable folk using the same tactics.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 17:40
Actually it is somming that looks good on your CV above all. (even giving somming back.)

I have know poepl who have modded for communities before, they put down the sites that actively moderate.

It shows employers that the person is trusted, sensible and mature. Although it has to be a big cummunity otherwise it seems a little bit pointless : i mod a forums [Forum total post count: 156]

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 17:53
Quote: "Actually it is somming that looks good on your CV above all."

One real-life example is ME!
I dunno whether my manager *really* went over & look at the forum site that i mod, but i did put it down & got a job

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 18:40
See, always a good thing. i mean i would play CBBC Bogies (?Spelling?) if it would look good on me CV.

Perhaps study leave aint too good for the mind

Tommeh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 19:15
To be honest, i woulnt really like to be a moderator

I've owned my own forum before, and appart from having to spend ages Deleting or moving topics. Theres also the hassele i mean. I had this person come up to me saying "This guy is harrasing me" and i said "Have you got any logs or anything" and he said "Its on a damn post" So i looked at the post and Yes it was nasty

So i deleted it and banned the guy for a week the other person started shouting at me because 'I hadnt done enough ' And he wouldnt stop going on And trying to help people you don't want to get that sort of annoyence

So before you say i'd love to be a mod think about it come on they don't even get paid

-Tom
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 19:23
Quote: "Perhaps study leave aint too good for the mind "

Very true.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 20:23
well i think those who beg to be mods must not have alot to do - i mean personally it'd bore me having to tone down, watch how i act, make sure i don't swear, making sure i'm always ambiguous around arguments, bleck! all seems like too much work just to be nice.
Though no doubt it'd calm the ammount of moderating the other have to do.

probably have a personal moderator lol

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 20:25
Swearing? God lord, if that was censored and/or punished, we'd lose half the members!

Not that I'd mind a little cutting down of the local crowd...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Tommeh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 20:55
Bah, raven would never subject little children to such pofanitie ummm... Would you?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 21:01
Of course not
:: looks at his SwearJar full'o'cash ::
... i dunno how the f**k that got there, i swear it ain't mine

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 22:51
Quote: "well i think those who beg to be mods must not have alot to do"

i dun have much to do (god, i luv my dayjob! haha!) and *almost* everyone can see me posting day in & day out, plus i'm a good peacekeeper & Very Very Good in dodging flame attacks!

*me luv topics like this, free for self promotion! did i boasted too much? who wanna vouch for me! lol!*

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 23:14 Edited at: 16th Jun 2003 23:15
hey, i'll hire you to find the code fairies! Go here: [href]http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=11072&b=2 [/href]

---Mattman
"Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done." Andy Rooney
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 02:23
A moderator does need to be able to write English words in the correct order...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 03:11
... sometimes its the thought that counts

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 04:49
I got an idea...

Rich or sombody should set up a demo of what a mod does, with scenarios and fake users and stuff. That would really cool and might discourage posts like this. People could see how hard your job really is (or so you say ).

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Click Here!!!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 05:45
The interface is really no different. On the posts page there are just checkboxes next to the thread name, and on the bottom there is just a little bar with a drop down menu that says stuff like "Move, Stick, Delete, Lock" etc then another menu (if you select MOVE) which has areas.

Under a post there are checkboxes next to the part that says when the post was made, and at the bottom there is a dropdown box with just delete and undelete.

Thats it

RPGamer

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 19:10
Oh sounds like fun

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Click Here!!!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 21:15 Edited at: 17th Jun 2003 21:16
Indeed, on my own forum, I hate the cat 'n mouse game with people causing trouble.

> They post something stupid

> You lock the post

> They spam you

> You block their IP...

> ... Only to find that they have a dynamic IP so that doesn't work

> They spam again

> You delete it all and block their email...

> ... except they have another email address (sadgayemail@hotmail.com)

> They spam again, in all forums, repeatedly, with different user names.

> You spend half an hour cleaning it all out, ban all their emails, spent several hours editing the forum code to try and auto-detect and ban / remove / clean out the forums...

> Only to find it blocks everybody else...

aaggh! and on.. and on...

And my forum only has 300 or so members.

Sigh. Mods don't have it as sweet as it may look. This doesn't happen very often, but it can do.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_103.zip
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 21:48
Yep thats happend a few times,,,wont mention the user name but was posting everywhere here with the same spam post. At first I was just deleting the posts then I started locking them up with a message like "Get a clue buddy, your posts arent magically dissapearing" but of course in nicer, please stop text

RPGamer

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 23:01 Edited at: 19th Jun 2003 18:37
RPGamer! Where's the doughboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Did you kill him????????????NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!GRONDA GRONDA

---Mattman
"Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done." Andy Rooney
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 23:10
Doughboy was getting over used on the forums, wasnt just me anymore

RPGamer

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 06:53
mattman, please edit that post. All those '!!!' streches out the page, it's really anyoing!

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 02:45:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 02:45:55