Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / A quick 3-question survey

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 01:04
Hello there,

I have a few music related questions for all of you for the next issue of Untitled, my game e-magazine. The deadline for this is somewhere on Monday, as I hope to have the article completed by Tuesday.

* 1. How important is music in videogames? Is it a crucial part of gameplay?
* 2. Can a good game go without music?
* 3. What is the game with the best music in your opinion?

Would everyone please format his answers as follows:
1. [answer]
2. [answer]
ect. ect.?

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 02:49
1. Ohhh! very important! For me it isn't a cruicial part of the gameplay, but a good piece of music definitely helps you "live into" the game and generally deepen your gaming experience.

2. Yes, look at tetris. Altough no music would be booring in itself, it wouldn't change tetris' playability much. The music only gets on your nerves anyway when you have nearly lost, it get's really fast and counter-productive to say the least.

3. I can't name one game as i hold atleast 3 very much on 1st place. Unreal: the great atmospheric music really enhanced this game. Wouldn't be the same game without it. Final Doom (for PS1): It had some very neat ambient tracks that made this Doom a very different game than the other early Doom games, which had midi tracks. That difference really showed what music can do. I actually remember i was afraid to play the game because the music freaked me out. The Dynasty Warriors games: Consists of electric guitars and still manages to keep this old-chinese style with the flutes and drums. Very neat.

Sorry if the answers were to long...

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 16:48
Music is an incredibly crucial part! Imagine playing halo and storming a covenant drop ship landing zone... no music.... it sucks... its one of the most important parts to setting your games mood!

No.

Advent rising, Final Fantasy VII, Halo 3

all really well composed! set the moods perfectly.
Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 19:36
1. Yes, music is very important.

2. Not at all.

3.Halo 2.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 22:29
* 1. How important is music in videogames? Is it a crucial part of gameplay?

I think music is very important. It adds atmosphere and mood to the game.

* 2. Can a good game go without music?

Without music? Possibly... But without sound effects? Absolutely not.

* 3. What is the game with the best music in your opinion?

I'm torn between a few games. But my favorite music has to be from Final Fantasy XI (even though the game wasn't that great). And, to be specific, my favorite songs from that game are:
-The Federation of Windurst
-The Grand Duchy of Jueno
-Vana'diel March
-Ronfaure
-Moghouse
-Sarutabaruta

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 09:08
Thanks, you three. This topic will remain open for today, together with the two other forums I've posted on, I've gotten myself over 25 replies, so I guess that's enough to conclude some things.

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 16:52
1. A good soundtrack can only push the game forwards. As games and movies become more intimate, we come to expect a more hollywood-esque quality in our videogames, including soundtrack. Music can aid the gameplay in that it builds tension, disperses it and slaps you in the face with it at all the right times- if it's used properly.

2. A good game doesn't necessarily need a good soundtrack to flourish. Aliens on the PS1 used the sound of silence to build the same kind of atmosphere an epic musical score could. If music is used to enhance the players experience and pack the right punch at the right times, it should not be overlooked or half-arsed.

3.Bioshock has a great soundtrack, although it could be heard of more. But it's used at the right times to create awe, suspense, fear and immersion.

Visit GameArcadiaRETRO and CASUAl games from Mario to solitaire!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 11:04
Thank you , Pus in Boots.

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 11:39
1.The music is a large portion of a game, in my opinion. A game without music would be comparable to a movie without music. I mean, how would a movie such as Pirates of the Carribean sound without music?

2. If the game is really sweet it could. But... the game with the music would be even better.

3. Well... I kinda like the Elder's Scrolls Series.
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 18:31
1. Music is vital. It brings out the whole atmosphere. You cannot play a game without music.

2. Yes, but only if it were top standard in everything else. It's no good watching an amazing cutscene with no music, it makes it very lackluster.

3. I really enjoyed some of the music from both Homeworld 1 and FF8 (Yes I am an oldie game fan, hehe)

Sudoku arts, the rabi and Nancy DrewG
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 05:49
Thanks everyone. Together with the results from some other music sites I've been posting this on and from a special interview, we'll have a nice little result graph in the Untitled thread .

The survey is over, this can be locked.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 06:17:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 06:17:43