Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Prophets of Elijah : MMO TPS >>[ Image Intensive ]<<

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 10:51

So, I'm taking a break from EOM, as it's kinda getting to be a major headache, and I'm waiting on some BIP files to redo the character animations.

So this is a secondary project. The idea is to create a large scaled tactical war game, where every unit is controlled by a different user. Kind of like an RTS, where each unit is a different player.

It's very early days. Of the 4 races, the human infantry units are almost complete, so I wanted to post this, see what you thought of what I have so far and get some encouragement! There's a wealth of back story for each race, and an overarching story for the game, of which I'll be posting soon.

Diablo 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! I've been watching EoM for a while, and that blew me away! And this project is looking even better!
The idea of an MMO TPS is just awesome!

Will this game be like CnC Renegade?

*adds to favourites*

Self Destruction Computer Entertainment
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 13:47
An MMOTPS like C&C Renegades... Mmm... sounds nice. If this one would actually be fun, contrary to Renegades. I preferred Tribes, if this game goes that way, you've got my interest.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like an nice game. Waiting for more details. Keep up the good work!

Darknes, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 18:29
Nice, I'd prefer an Single-Player game, but still i like PoE more than EoM...

Make games, not war.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 22:47
I was wondering where you went!

Good luck with the MMO part, and I have no doubts of your ability to create media.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 09:02
Nice looking WIP you got there, Butters!

Makes me feel shamed to post up a WIP thread without any beautiful looking media behind it.

I hope you do well with implementing the Online portion of the game, as that can be the most troublesome of aspects. (Believe me, I've tried it at least 4x to date )

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Urlforce:
Dude, I'd rather be declared a dbpro noob than an fpsc legend any day!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 03:40 Edited at: 28th Nov 2007 03:43
OK, now don't say I didn't warn you! I'm working on a new race, called the Iyasus. Here's everything you need to know:

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 03:46
I thought I'd do a new post for this bit. I've now actually got some ingame shots, although its VERY VERY early. Just wanted to show this grass shader. It's a mod of Evolved's fur shader, but it allows the object to use a RGB texture and a separate "grass-map", the "grass map" allows there to only be grass on grassy patches!... ie on the rocky bits, it doesn't shade grass.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 06:22
Very cool stuff, where's this story you've promised?

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 09:04
Oh dear. I like that alien race, the idea behind it is... actually quite good .

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 22:33
I love you.

Very nice stuff indeed.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 02:22
Those characters are bloody nice butters, kudos on the details around the head gear and in general, the great physique of the iyahsus. It really reminds me of some of the cyborgs/robots from UT2004.

The textures are very nice too, the materials are very convincing and i love the rusted/dirty armour on the 'prophet'

The in game shots (despite you saying they're early) look fantastic. I'm certainly going to keep watching this thread.

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 09:11
Sick cant wait to see more

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )Please join groves inc.....World domination
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 18:32
The models and the screens look fantastic Butterfingers. I think I see grass in the terrain, am I correct?

Support the indie!
Strelok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 20:03
Wow.. That's a other great project .
Very interesting characters and weapons , the textures are amazing.
The char from Iyasus looks freaking cool !
And I just love the grass , but isn't it a little bit to transparent?

I'm also going to keep my eye on this thread.

Anyway good job man !
DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
WEll just don't get a third project, then a fourth project, then a... ah nevermind.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 05:43
DrewG is trying to tell you not to go Fallout. Although I heard Fallout is about to better his life by finishing one of his uberawesome games.

DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
cool when? where?

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 17:03
I take it from the screenshots that this is no girls allowed?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 06:31
Impressive artwork! I like the idea of the grass shader, but real grass isn't quit so stiff and rigid. if you could have the shader draw each blade as an arc rather than a straight line and randomize the curve right/curve left directions I think it would give a good natural seeming chaos and look really awesome.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 17:24
What can I say, thanks for all the props guys.

I know I'm treading that dangerous line of having too many projects! But I just got funding from MediaBox to make a South London game, so all the media from EOM is going to shift over to that, as it's alpha deadline is March.

This is going to take over as my prominent solo project.

I think if I respond to everyone then I'll end up typing about 3 pages, so I'll just say a few...
Quote: "Those characters are bloody nice butters, kudos on the details around the head gear and in general, the great physique of the iyahsus. It really reminds me of some of the cyborgs/robots from UT2004.
The textures are very nice too, the materials are very convincing and i love the rusted/dirty armour on the 'prophet'
The in game shots (despite you saying they're early) look fantastic. I'm certainly going to keep watching this thread. "

Thanks Jon. I've been loving your little droid thing in the 3D chat. Please do keep an eye on this, and if you perhaps fancy having a go at doing a race for it or something, then you know I'd be overjoyed. I seem to recall you'd started making a really nice dropship, but I never saw it finished. If it's lying around somewhere I'd love to have a go at finishing it off.

OLEG/Ortu

Yeah, that's my first forray into the world of shaders, and I admit to getting a bit lost. To be honest shaders still confuse the heck out of me, and I've wasted so many nights until 3am, trying to write a shader that invariably looks crap.
Curving the grass will be a nightmare, but I can perhaps make it wave slightly? At the moment it's at the same quality as the grass shader in Shadow of the Collosus, which was my bench mark for it.

Quote: "I take it from the screenshots that this is no girls allowed?"

Why why why?! I've not considered it to be honest, but the Iyahsus were going to be voiced by a female. Novels like Herland and Left hand of darkness have inspired me with the iyahsus, in that predominantly female societies can be more harmonious. It's not something that's going to be said straight out in the game, more an implicit feature.

I hate the idea of doing an all female race in the game, although I had condidered doing some female variants on the Prophets. The Orks reproduce heterosexually like humans, although they prohibit their females from taking part in war.

Actually I'm confused.. Did you mean no girl is going to want to play this, or there are no girls to play as? I don't think that a lack of female characters makes a game unappealing to girls.

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 23:47
Wow butters! just wow! you still manage to amaze me! you models and textures seem to get better every time i look at one of you many threads (hehe) I really like the look of that shader, that screen shot reminds me of quake wars, don't ask why because to be honest i don't know!

I think you have a heck of a talent when it comes to modeling and i really wish i could be as good as you! probably sounds a bit cheesy and gay but i thought i would tell you that anyway! If you do need any help (i know you like to model everything yourself and i respect that totally) just ask, although what i would do to help is beyond me as media quality isn't as good..........maybe just make you tea or something.

HMMMMMMM
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 00:14
Quote: "But I just got funding from MediaBox to make a South London game, so all the media from EOM is going to shift over to that, as it's alpha deadline is March."

Good for you, dude. But what's MediaBox?

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 17:17 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 17:38
Quote: "Good for you, dude. But what's MediaBox?"

It's a Media funding programme for under 19's. It's for Brits only I think.

Anyway, great looking projects Butters. I hope you're still working on Estate of mind though.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 12:57 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 13:06
Quote: "or there are no girls to play as?"

Basically, yes. From the screen shots, I see no feminine qualities to any of the player models and get the impression that the only options are male.

Quote: "I don't think that a lack of female characters makes a game unappealing to girls."

On the contrary. Recent studies have shown that women overwhelmingly prefer to play female characters if given a choice. I know that I for one, on the game Kal Online where each class is either strictly male or strictly female, I've played each of the female classes but never any of the male classes.

Of course, another reason to avoid creating an overwhelmingly majority of male characters is all the guys out there who only play female characters because and I quote what many have told me "staring at a guy's ass all day makes me feel gay."

I and a lot of other girl gamers that I know, will actually be far more likely to play a game with a decent choice between genders than one without. What you should strive for is reaching as close to a 50/50 split without going over. So 2 out of 5 female choices is good. 3 out of 7, etc. This is of course assuming you're not going for a perfect 50/50 split.

If the Iyahsus are to be voiced by females, then it might help if at least one of their models shows at least some of the face like the first one does. Armor can do a lot to conceal gender and make a girl look male. But even so much as showing the eyes can do a lot. I'm autistic and even I can see the difference in gender by just eyes alone usually.

As much as I hate to admit it, making armor a bit more skin tight and showing more stereotypical female proportions like a more slender waist inorder to illustrate a more feminine hip/shoulder ratio would do a lot even without having to show skin. There's no reason to make the models overtly sexual like on most games where a metal bikini is the female equivilent to full plate armor on a male. But a a stealth cat suit sort of deal, or bulky armor with a slender waist (think Samus Aran) works well too.

And by the way, I wouldn't even be saying any of this if I wasn't impressed with what you have so far. So don't think I'm being mean or anything

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 16:27
Lucy, this entire post is just for you....

It interesting what you say about girl's preferences to playing as female characters. My girlfriend is a keen gamer too, but for the most part she will opt to play as male characters because the female ones are represented steriotypically (pendulous breasts and bikini body armour with stilletto hooker-boots). I felt that if I was to add female characters they would be accurately done. For example, a female Prophet marine wouldn't have any defined breasts at all - most atheletes have very little definition there - and as you said, perhaps a pinching at the waist.

For the most part the entirely male setup has been a logistical one. BY reducing to only males, I have need of only creating 1 sound set for each race, as opposed to 2. The Iyahsus too, had muh more detailed waist lines and legs, (similar to thier arms), but due to polycounts, I had to reduce these to a more simple body design.

You've raised an interesting issue of representation though. I had not considered that people of a certain ethnicity or sex would want to have an ingame avatar representative of that. There are for example, no black characters either. Although I know that given the choice, most of my black friends would prefer to play as a character of their race. Again, much of this comes down to creating more modelling an texture work for me, at the moment there are 5 Prophet classes, but if I were to add the option of being caucassian or black, and female or male, that would up the count to 20 characters.

If (here's me being cheeky) you were to create a female head for me, I would be happy to do female versions of the human characters with that head. THe Iyahsus will remain as they are, heck that mesh and rig took me 4 days to complete anyway. The Orks are a tough one. I can't visualise what an Ork female would look like! I have one race left to make too. The Hecate. I'm open to ideas with them, so perhaps they can be more representative of the fairer sex.

Rest assured whatever I do, I want to steer well clear of the gaming cliches of female representation, both anatomically and morally.

I don't take any of you comments as unkind or inflammatory. I value your response, as one of the few females on the forum. And I'm glad that you like what I have so far!

Strelok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 22:03 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 22:51
I know that you didn't posted a lot of information of your game.
But it's looks truly impressive , I was wondering how many players the engine can handle with all the effect and particles..
And would there be any vehicles in the battle ? Like hoover tanks or bikes ?

Anyway if you need any help with models , textutes ,landscape...I would love to help you.

Cheers , Strelok.

Rise and shine Fpsc x10...rise and shine.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 17:01
I like the graphical style. It reminds me of Riven.

*Adds to favorites* Can't wait to see more!

"Ok, so that wasn't funny. I don' have any good Christmas jokes."
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 11:26
Quote: "You've raised an interesting issue of representation though. I had not considered that people of a certain ethnicity or sex would want to have an ingame avatar representative of that. There are for example, no black characters either. Although I know that given the choice, most of my black friends would prefer to play as a character of their race. Again, much of this comes down to creating more modelling an texture work for me, at the moment there are 5 Prophet classes, but if I were to add the option of being caucassian or black, and female or male, that would up the count to 20 characters."

And again, indeed, Lucy is right. Women dó feel more comfortable playing with a female character and do feel less confortable playing with a 'hypersexualised' character than with a male. In other words, they will NOT dislike the heroic traits as beasts, hind quarters and waist, but they will dislike traits that can be (in)directly connected to arousal (fast breathing, stance, red lips, heavy eyelids). This has been scientifically confirmed by investigations with appropriate scientific names as SICS-T (2005) - painful reading, that one, Graner Ray (2004) and Holland (2005).

It is strange, but one of the best known examples of a good female character, according to those studies, is Lara Croft. Why? She is a perfectly capable yet not hypersexualised character. Yes, she does have big breasts and the like, but that's, apparently, heroism in the physique no more than broad shoulders are in men.

Women blame this on the industry: I do not. I can understand why the industry rather appeals to a large, consistent group than a group of unknown size and dedication. In any case, some companies are clearly opening the path now - EA with The Sims must be a pioneer. It is established in both investigations that female gamers are 52% of the internet gaming market (time-passers) and that male or highly dominant on the real game market.

Race, for some reason, doesn't have half the impact. A white man will feel almost exactly as comfortable playing a white guy as the other way around. But after all, if everyone feels comfortable playing an italian plumber with heavy moustache...

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 07:44
Wow I'm glad you're keeping on with POE even if its taking on a slightly different theme. Supurb work as always and if you need any help in any way , you know where to find me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:33:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:33:08