Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Cyber Wars: Infestation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 06:33
This looks very reminiscent of Kernel Panic 1.0, a mod for TA Spring.

Looks really cool! I'll be excited to see it's progress.

This is a random sentence about squirrels.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 14:30
You know, nothing about the looks here - about the descriptions you're giving: they. sound. perfect. This will be an enjoyable game for us computer fanatics .

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This will be an enjoyable game for us computer fanatics"

Not really an computer fanatic here, more like someone who really enjoy computers... but this game will be an s***load of fun! I just love the idea.

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 08:32
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, but I'm starting to think this idea of mine is cursed.

When I woke up today I started thinking about how I didn't have a backup last time I tried to make this, so I went to go back it up.

SUDDENLY, Windows gets retarded and won't write to a CD or even a DVD. So I tried it with some music files, worked just fine, wrote them all flawlessly. Other game of mine wrote to disk too, just fine. But Cyber Wars would not go onto disk!!!

I figured I'd try again after school.

Got home from school, booted up my PC (Note, I am not on my desktop right now, I'm on my laptop) and open up Cyber Wars.

[UPDATE] (If it matters)

I've changed Constructors to NOT corrupt other programs at all. Instead when right-clicking on another program with a constructor selected it will attempt to "heal" that program.

It works, and I kinda wish I had a screenshot to go with it.

[/UPDATE]

Anyway, back to the story. I got up to get a drink and came back to implement other needed features for the AI to work correctly, when out of no where...

*TIC!*

Computer completely dies. So I reach behind the computer as fast as I can and remove the power cord in case it was a surge and more were on the way. (Yeah, I'm paranoid) But the strange thing was... nothing else in my room had the power cut. Not even electronics plugged into the same outlet as my computer, so obviously that's bad news.

I felt the side of the case and it was warm, like most computers are after turning off. So I start trying to smeel if anything got burned inside it. Nothing... I figured it was safe and maybe I had a virus. I reach back to plug the power cord back in and burned my finger on the Power Supply!

Crap!!! My Power Supply got fried!

So until I am able to get a new one and install it...

Cyber Wars: Infestation is officially on hold.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Urlforce:
Dude, I'd rather be declared a dbpro noob than an fpsc legend any day!
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
That was quite bad news, but I hardly think the project is cursed. I hope your problems solve. And very wiered with that non-beckup thing with your computer. Next time you can try with an usb thing. Or you can do as I: Get an extern harddrive that you install Dark Basic on and store your projects on (or that you just store your projects on).

And by the way, could you release an demo of the game when you have an functional version? I just can´t wait to play it.

Goodluck.

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 20:47
I say it's cursed because last time I tried to make this game, my Power Supply had a surge and nuked my HDD.

And yes, if the project is still in tact, I will most definitally be releasing a demo when I have a functional version. Upon getting back to programming, you may want to give me a few weeks before expecting one, though. I got finals, unfinished homework, Christmas things to do, as well as getting the AI node system up and running and fully tweaked to my liking.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Urlforce:
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 01:59
a g-d, I hope everything is alright.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 20:48 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 20:57
Okay, after a night of hard labor, I have managed to create a frankenstein computer out of the parts from my last two dead computers (The two that were killed while attempting to create this game, no less) with the help of my friend. Everything seems to be all right now... the HDD is safe and a backup copy has been forced out of Windows.

It looked like a small capacitor inside the power supply blew up. There was brownish burnt goop (well, dried goop once I got it open) everywhere inside it and extruding from the capacitor... pretty nasty smelling, too, I must say.

Welp,now that I have a computer, I'll be able to get back to work on the game shortly.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Urlforce:
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2007 10:05
[UPDATE]

Small problems are arising, keeping me from getting started on the AI. On top of that, I've still got some more things to implement that the AI will need in order to function.

The current problem I'm working on is a cheap effective way for programs to move AROUND other programs while on their set path. Since pathfinding is such an expensive operation and since programs are always moving around, I can't use that. I'm trying to use a method that utilizes psuedo raycasting, but there still seems to be points where programs will get stuck in corners and they won't always pick the correct direction to move around other programs.

Next items in the list once that gets cleared up:

- Drivers Interfacing with Components
- Downloading Capabilities only if a Driver is interfacing with an I/O Port

Once those are completed and I'm satisfied with them, then I can get started on the AI.

[/UPDATE]

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Urlforce:
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 22:06
Just an idea, but I think the virus from your game is destroying your computers.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 03:12
Hahaha, that's just about what I told my friend when it happened. I said to him, "Looks like my Anti-Virus team keeps ****ing losing!"

Small update while I'm here:

The AI is coming along slowly. The node system has already been implemented but scoring each move is proving to be quite a challenge. I'm thinking that certain things like creating units and components might need to be in a completely different node system to ensure that the AI won't completely neglect that aspect. Like when the AI only has one unit left and compiling MORE units is at the top of the list, a Medium or Easy opponent would never select a node near the top and so would never create more units as long as it had other possible moves to do (Like using his last remaining unit until death do they part).

So the problem right now with the AI is that the scoring between different moves is vastly different. Some moves will only return a value between 1 and 0, while others could return a value anywhere from -infinity to +infinity. And also, the fact that a Medium or Easy opponent won't act smart in certain situations where what they SHOULD be doing is completely obvious but because it scores so high at the top of the list, it's being neglected.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Urlforce:
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 06:52 Edited at: 9th Jan 2008 06:52
Okay, I know it's been a while since my last update and people have probably lost hope in my ever completing this, but...

[UPDATE]

Driver Interfacing with components is under way!

Here is a picture of my driver program interfacing with an I/O Port! Nearby are a couple constructors setting up defensive measures to keep viruses away from the highly vulnerable Driver.

While the Driver is interfacing with the I/O Port, the controlling player will be able to use the Port for downloading!

[/UPDATE]

I realise that I had promised a demo once the AI was complete, but I believe that Downloading capabilities will be necessary to consider the AI even remotely "complete".

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Urlforce:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi. It´s good to hear new. I haven´t given up hope, just so you know. Projects like this one can take a LOT of time before it´s even beta, so... well, I´m patient. Take the time you need.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 14:39
Exactly - I was expecting this to continue anyway. The interfacing looks nice and funky.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 23:57
Hey man good to see that you are back with this!

i was wondering if you would like some models to be created for this game. Not to say your models are bad, just basic, i would gladly do this for free for you and texture them. if your interested just send us an email

HMMMMMMM
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 01:47
Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone.

@tha_rami:

Lol, I'll take that as a compliment!

@Dr Parsnips:

I've sent you an email.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Urlforce:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:21:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:21:42