Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Does Mars have clouds? Yes it does! At least in this simulation...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 19:08 Edited at: 28th Nov 2007 19:37
Hi all!
I was pretty bored and I was playing DooM 3, when I thought why not to make Mars in DBPro.
So here you go, Mars in DBPro.
I am going to improve it from time to time, so hang in there!
Screenshot:

Thanks for reading and please leave comments!! If you do, please leave your FPS too!
-Jeff

PS: next post has download of the program in .RAR format.

You're the 'th to view this signature!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 19:21 Edited at: 28th Nov 2007 19:22
Here is the .RAR, have fun!
<--

-Jeff

Attachments

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Haven´t downloaded and tried it out yet, but it seems to be able to be an nice screensaver. At last if you like space... which I do!

Darknes, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
Joeeigel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 19:32
"a" Mars? Theres more than one? Please post images of these other mars' if you have them! No seriously, try on the grammer a little better next time.

Its not really a WIP, but it looks good, but after one model and a few effects, you shouldn't post a WIP.

Sorry if its a little harsh.

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 19:39
It's not harsh, it is critique. Sorry about the grammar, but it is a WIP, I want to improve it and making more planets etc.

-Jeff

Joeeigel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 19:44 Edited at: 28th Nov 2007 19:57
Ahh, you didn't say you were going to make more planets, now it's going somewhere, I'll follow this WIP

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 19:50
Thanks!
Quote: "I'll follow this QIP "

I think you mean WIP?

-Jeff

Joeeigel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 19:58
Edited it, ;P Thanks for you and Cowbox for spotting it, I would have never known ;P

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 06:12
You can tell a lot, but Mars does not have clouds. I'd recommend a lot more work on it before posting it again, though. Mars has no clouds, thats' not how Mars looks and the stars are all blurry. The idea is good, though.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 17:17
Look at the title: "At least in this simulation..."
And I liked the look of it, since it uses vertex shading (lighting) and that is only what my computer can do: Vertex Shader 1... I have an nVidia tnt2...

-Jeff

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 22:07
Hehe, but I mean, why does it have clouds? It would look like, 10 times better without?

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 17:01
Well ok, I will make an option to turn the clouds on/off . If you like it without...

-Jeff

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 18:06 Edited at: 30th Nov 2007 18:11
As I said before, I would really like to have this as an screen saver. Mind if I turn your simulation into one?

Darknes, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 02:41
make a halo

4 player 3D space combat sim! Coding nearly finished! Visit WIP thread!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=112036&b=8
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 12:41 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 12:46
And yes, Mars DOES have clouds, even outside of simulations.

Martian Clouds on space.com

An old photo of Olympus Mons with clouds around it at the University of Arizona

More examples abound... The Pathfinder as well as Spirit and Opportunity bots have sent back photos of the Martian sky with clouds. Most of the clouds I've seen from those bots are cirrus type. Of course this assumes you aren't one of those people like redphantom34 on YouTube that thinks that everything any space agency does is automatically a lie. Which I doubt you are

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 18:22
@Mr Z: I don't mind, but if you do, please put it online at this, board...
@qwe: What is an halo?
@Lucy: Thanks, I already thought it, because when I took a close look to the Menu in DooM3, I saw clouds there too....

-Jeff

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 19:46
Lol, yes, Mars does have clouds, and, yes, they consist out of actual water. But definitely not as dense as shown in this simulation.

The Mars clouds seem to focus around either the poles or the equatorial plane. There is no obvious explanation what causes the clouds - and they do not rain. It's probably too cold for rain.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 13:12 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 13:13
Quote: "There is no obvious explanation what causes the clouds - and they do not rain. It's probably too cold for rain."

Not obvious without a little research. I've looked into it. The explanation is that matter doesn't simply go solid to liquid and then to gas. There's something called a "triple point". What it comes down to is there isn't enough atmospheric pressure to maintain a liquid state of water at any temperature except around the equator. Especially true in that huge canyon near the equator, and only at certain times of year..

There are a few occasional signs of liquid water flowing within a few weeks before photos have been taken. Namely, signs of previous flow where there was none before. This is probably due to weather systems creating high and low pressure like on Earth. Get the pressure high enough and suddenly the water vapor or ice becomes liquid.

But you're right, it doesn't rain. You need much higher pressure than Mars has for that to occur. But it does snow, and mostly around the poles. The clouds around the equator come mostly from the evaporation of ice straight into vapor. It then flows to the poles, condenses and falls as snow on the poles.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 14:17
Not obvious for anyone but space fanatics, maybe . You've done your research there, but yeah, as far as I can recall (I must admit Sol isn't my strongest point of knowledge), you're correct about the snow on Mars and the origins of it.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Mr Z: I don't mind, but if you do, please put it online at this, board..."

Sure, I will post it here when it´s done. Won´t be very different from this one, was mostly thinking of taking away the choosing stuff. But then I have just one question. Is it just to rename it to an .src file, instead of an .exe file? Or is there more to it?

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 17:02
You can just rename it to an .scr, because .scr's are actually .exe's.

-Jeff

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, thanks .

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 03:34 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 03:34
I think i read somwhere the martian sky is indeed blue if you look up from the surface but NASA alter it red so you don't think it's a photo from the Arazona desert

http://mars-news.de/color/blue.html

A sand storm would be red though.

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 04:17
It's all lies then!

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, here is the screen saver. It will just be an version of the program jeffhuys posted, but with no options and that shuts down when a key is pressed, an mousebutton is pressed or the mouse is moved (it will also terminate if the mouse wheel is turned). I also changed one more thing... do you see what it is?

Hope you guys enjoy it!

P.S.

Is there anyone with an rainforest planet texture that could fit in here? It would be better of with my standard theme.

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 11:33
Check out the Meteor Showdown topic for that texture, maybe?

Mars sky indeed should have somewhat of a blue color when no storms are present. There are some pictures of the planet with the original blue color of the sky. Even though I've known that for years, it still feels wrong to see Mars with a blue sky.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:18:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:18:16