Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark Physics & AI gettin' ported?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 17:30
Hi!
Just wonderin', is DPhysics and AI gettin' ported/re-coded/wrapped/whatever so we can use it in DGDK?
That would be über nice

RPDan
Years of Service
User Offline
They're working on it.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 00:44
Quote: "They're working on it. "

I think this is low priority, judging by how you can downlod GDK for free now!

The Sun is trying to kill me!
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think this is low priority, judging by how you can downlod GDK for free now!"

I should hope not. They stand to gain a bit of money if people who are getting the GDK now (for free) opt to buy the plugins.

I have vague plans for World Domination
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 17:49
@ Miguel Melo

Me too, it would be very nice indeed. That, in my opinion is the only advantage dbp has over gdk at the moment.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 19:15
I believe you can actually get the AGEIA SDK for free (don't quote me on it). Wouldn't be as easy as DP I expect though.

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 20:44 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 20:45
Yeah, you can request a copy from AGEIA, but as you pointed out it wouldn't be anywhere near as easy as DP. As Miquel said, if TGC got a version sorted they stand to make a killing especially now GDK is free and working with VC++ express.

DarkPhysics and DarkA.I for GDK would make it a very nice game making package indeed.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 21:06
Yeah, you can get a free copy from ageia. You don't have to request either. Just register. It isn't as easy of course, because it is a professional tool, but I'm working on a library for it at the moment. A free one for that matter. Now, I am looking forward to dark ai though, unless I can find a decent ai library.

WC Physics - PhysX wrapper for Dark GDK.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 17:34
I love GDK. Not excited its free now - since I paid for it - as for physics? I agree - we need it. As for AI? I'm torn. sometimes - I find that writing AI code - and watching it "behave" as it comes to "life" is as rewarding as seeing a 3d scene come together - or a model animating in a cool way.

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 23:19
@ jason

Yeah it is nice, but it's time consuming and personally I would prefer to pay somebody £15-£20 to do the core functionality for me then tweak it to my needs. There is still a fair bit of flexibility in DarkAI that allows for unique behavour.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 15:24
Well - I agree with you monotonic.

If its that flexible and saves a ton of time - and the results are cool - OH YEAH - bring it on. Does it work With with DarkGDK (C++) Yet? when it does - I'm ready - in fact - its one of the reasons I've slowed Iron Infantry development. I've been thinkning that without "real" physics - at least in part - it's just not gonna be as cool as I want it to be. And from everything I've learned - I really need to work physics in from the beginning - rather than trying to retro fit - and the same for AI. the more I learn - the more I pause - because I know anything else might be coding myself into a corner. and I'm determined to finish this game.

alucart13
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that DarkPhysics and DarkA.I. would be a great help to people using the C++ version of GDK. I dont know a lot about how to write A.I. right now, but I'm going to learn and do it myself. I think its a great feeling to spend the time to write it out, and watch it when it finally works perfectly.

Bring the fire, as I fall into oblivion I'll be thinking of you
aersixb9
Years of Service
User Offline
Can the DarkAI pilot a spaceship?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 18:17
I suspect so - I read something about a demo - making a butterfly navigate successfully down a hallway - I imagine it handles the corners - or what's the point ... so I think it could probably do that - though I'm just going by what little I've read.

It's supposedly "Scriptable" or something - so you can "Teach" the AI behaviors - and I would venture to say "Rules" for the environment they are set in as well.

(On wheels, FPS runner/person/robot, flying etc.)

For Iron Infantry - I've been looking at Rotor Lib alot - not sure I'f I'll bite - but it has some neat stuff built in for heli's.

I think I could do it myself though - not as PERFECT - but in some ways maybe better (Landings look great until touchdown - they seem to drop 3 feet - I envision a back injury when I see it)

Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark Ai is basically 2d although it can handle levels

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
aersixb9
Years of Service
User Offline
I kind of want to see this generic AI - when is it coming out for darkGDK? I also want to plug in AliceBot for all the games' text...has anyone tried that before? Does AliceBot work for games? (For those not in the knowing, AliceBot is a generic AI that responds to textual queries - that is to say, you can "chat" with it)...plus can anyone recommend a good speech-to-text and text-to-speech api (or apis?)

PS - Sorry if I'm getting off topic...
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 12:33 Edited at: 11th Dec 2007 12:36
Quote: "I kind of want to see this generic AI"

Err; I wouldn't say it was totally generic. For instance controlling a spaceship mentioned above by aersixb9, I don't think it would be suited to that. Although I am sure if you invested enough time you could get it to work Ok.

Quote: "Dark Ai is basically 2d although it can handle levels"

Precisely, it uses A* to find paths, and containers can be used to represent different levels. DarkA.I only give you the X and Z co-ordinates of where it wants the entity to be, not the Y that is down to you. So in an FPS for example DarkA.I will control where the entity should be and you control where it sits on the ground or floats (butterfly).

Like I said I haven't tried to use it to create flying entities, but if you setup DarkA.I in manual control and spend enough time it might be possible, but doubtful.

But apart from that DarkA.I was probably the best plugin I have bought without a doubt, well worth the money.

Edit:
Quote: "speech-to-text and text-to-speech api"

Yeah I could do with a nice free t2s/s2t api too.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 15:56 Edited at: 11th Dec 2007 15:56
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 16:13
I wonder if the people who bought the plug-in for DBP will get a discount for GDK?

I would happily pay for it again, but would be even happier to pay a discounted price

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
I would happily pay for it again, but would be even happier to pay a discounted price
"

Just in case anyone at TGC is reading, I wouldn't.

I bought both DAI and DPH a few months ago, always in the off chance of them being released for GDK and me getting that version free, as WOLF does for his plugins.

I can safely say that, bar looking at the included tutorials, I have never used them in DBP. If it ever comes that they are to be paid, I at least hope you can optionally exchange your dbp plugins subscription of the dgk one...

I have vague plans for World Domination

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 18:23:25
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 18:23:25