Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 6 questions before I start !

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Before starting to buy and use DBPro & related products for a major project in France I would like to ask 5 important questions:

1. What are the 3D models file formats that can be imported/load (some are mentionned like 3ds but not all others...): x3D ? max ? collada ? please could you list them all ?

2. From within a gaming world is it possible, when a visitor/player clicks on an object, to
- first display a set of text lines (e.g. within a specific world window), containing also a standard www URL
- when the visitor then clicks on this URL, the system opens a conventional www window for this URL
??

3. Do you have functions for
- statistics on what visitors/players are doing, how many of them etc..
- dealing with user accounts on the systems (registration,...)
- proposing payment of goods to the visitors, via credit cards and banks processes
??

4. In a multiplayer game, can people communicate together via chat and/or IM ?

5. In a multiplayer game, what are the requirements on the Server side, or Master side ? What is the minimum needed there to synch the arrival of users etc.. ? In which language can it be done-- I for instance is it possible to use a cheap PHP type of hosting company for the server side ?

6. Not actually the best place to ask the question but .. do you know where I could find 3D models for South France (Provençal)/Italian types of houses, on the net or elsewhere ?

Many thanks in advance for your responses !
-michel
Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 23:27
1. X, DBO, 3DS, MDL, MD2 and MD3. Might be more.

- Yep. You just have to be able to program it.
- See previous answer.

- You'll have to create the functions yourself, but sure.
- See previous answer.
- Not that I know of, but usually this stuff goes through web pages and not ingame. You could make a webpage where you can pay, and have the game show that webpage ingame.

4. Sure, if you can code it.

5. Whatever you code. DBPro is it's own programming language. You have to code the server program, and you have to code the client program.

6. Nope, sorry.

PS: It looks as though you believe DBPro does everything for you. However, you have to actually do a good amount of work.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 01:31
Quote: "for a major project "

I wouldn't worry about one of them quite yet.

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
primevest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 02:12
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 09:45
The answer to nearly every of your questions is: Can you code it? Darkbasic Pro is a programming language, not a drag and drop editor.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Silicon Zombie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 11:23
I echo all of the above points. The statements you made that concern me are: "starting to buy and use DBPro" & "for a major project in France" If you were serious about a major project, you wouldnt (IMO) initiate it on a language you have to learn first.

Maybe you should learn the language first and worry about major projects later? I dont believe anyone could be competant in DB unless they devote alot of time to it first....unless of course you dont mean DB and are talking about fps creator or similar, but even then its not a question of just sitting down and completing it.

The fact that you had to ask questions 4 and 5 in particular hint that you dont even understand the concept of db.

Ive been "plugging away" at Dbpro for quite some time and I wouldnt even consider major projects in the near future...i need more time.
michel
Years of Service
User Offline
First of all, many thanks to all of you who replied.

I have been using the "standard" BASIC language for many years, but not DPPro -- you are right: I am learning the concept of DBPro like I have been doing with a number of other Gaming and Virtual Worlds toolkits. Before going in depth into one or more of the toolkits I first go "horizontal"

For a project I am first investigating what is the best "platform" to use: the requirements are not "sophisticated Game requirements" but rather to create a sort of Virtual World with:
a) several objets around (a world editor would be useful, to place objects imported from the outside !)
b) people able to chat/IM like in Second Life, in a small window
c) synchro between the "worlds" that the various players are seeing- both when they pop in but also when they move, do something, etc...: as players are initially not aware of each others a full straightforward peer-to-peer is not possible but some server types of functionality is needed: if DBPro was running on usual hosting servers (ie Linux ones) I could easily write a server program for this, but .. DBPro works on Windows not Linux, isn't it ?

Any more suggestions, feedback ??

-michel
Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 08:20 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 08:21
a) Unsure about what you mean here.
b) Chatting can be done.
c) Again unsure about what you speak of, but to answer that last question: DBPro is built on DirectX functionality, and therefore works only with Windows.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 15:23
a) is absolutely possible. Go to the WIP board and check out PoPR.
b) is absolutely possible. There was a tank "MORPG" in the WIP board.
c) is absolutely possible, but not on Linux. You could set up a server on a Windows PC. Google for Evochron Renegades, a spacesim in DarkBASIC which has a server system like you describe.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 22:08 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 22:10
Welcome to the forums, here a few tips,

(1). Don't act like Serjo Adjo. (i.e. Here)
(2). Please start out with pong, I had to learn this the hard way.
(3). Don't attempt an MMORPG or any other MMO.
(4). Don't start out the way I did (i.e. This Thread)
(5). Enjoy the forums and stick to one project at a time, I learned that the hard way as well.
(6). Use proper grammar please! Don't talk like this, (hallo! i wnt 2 make n ubr mmorpg. can some1 gizme teh codez?
(7). Don't ever make a religious or love life thread in Geek Culture. (I learned that the hard way).
(8). Always read the tutorials and stickies, sometimes they can have a load of information about 2D and 3D games as well.
(9). Need some help? Use the search button before asking questions.
(10). Want to play around or use code for your game, search in the Code Snippets or the Codebase.
These tips by KYP:
11.) Don't jump in to threads saying something completely random.
12.) This is an example of a noob (I think he was fake). (XxX emerson lol xoxo)

These tips should get you to a normal TGC member. If you break one these tips you should be okay (as long is the tip isn't the one about me or Serjo or the emerson dude).

pirate
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 21:17
we all had to start somewhere..even if its just an idea you can accomplish it if you want it bad enough..darkbasic pro is powerful even though it has a learning curve..i would recommend that you try not to get into the online game making right away and try to get a single level working properly..go through as many tutorials as possible and make sure you complete the one you are working on before starting a new one...before you know it you will have enough knowledge to make your dreams come true!

thanks, pirate
Michael Jackson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 15:09
hello michel, thank you for joining us ! my answer is "yes, everything is possile with DarkBASIC ! " so buy it and make your video game !

michel
Years of Service
User Offline
Helloooo...

What about Avatars ?
How do you guys make them for your games ? Or use an existing collection ?

Thanks,
-michel

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 08:30:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 08:30:19