Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / fspc x10 review

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 12:37 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2007 12:40
Well yesterday my copy off x10 came threw the post and spent most the day playing around before putting up this review.

The first thing you notice is the new clean look but still using the old layout of x9,there a nice vid and samples that you can turn off so it dont start all the time.

Going threw the samples I was impressed with the speed using my geforce 8600gt(OC),it was smooth and no lag at all.

After going threw the samples I went threw building a level and this was just like using x9 apart from some nice new features but you can be up and running very easy if you used x9.

So far Im impressed using some of the new guns and chars that come with fpsc x10 and the new rooms but it dont end there.

Next was to put in some custom stuff and this is where dx10 let me down, in the docs pdf it says you can use your old games built in fpsc x9 but this would only be the case if you used only default stuff.

Custom segments dont show just clear only a very few worked also chars become invisable and entity items was the same,going threw all the stuff that ive got over the years and hardly any work.

Segments made in signs and magic fps dont work anymore,packs that been sold on the forum most didnt work you see it in the editor but its just invisable or messed up in test game.

Then come's the model packs by tgc none off these worked as well but at least we know this as they said on the forum.

All in all its a new engine the scriptbank is in my doc folder and pretty hard to understand where all your custom stuff should go,I expected that some 3rd party stuff would not work due to the new shaders and stuff.

So lee we need a tut on how we can get are old custom stuff to work in dx10.

Pro's
Awesome program well done TGC clean,easy to use and the new features and effects are great.
It had great speed on my system.

Con's
Custom stuff don't work that great from dx9.

So there you have it my review, I'm impressed with dx 10 and the new features does make it worth the price but keeping with the default chars and rooms has lost my appeal so back to dx9 for now untill there a methods to help get older stuff up and running.

Best s4real

Computer specs on test :

Intel dual core 3.6 cpu
Geforce 8600 gt (oc)
2gb memory using 2gb readyboost.
Soundblaser audigy2 sound card.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 13:52
Some of us media developers don't have (nor intend to get for some time) Vista, so it seems our custom art will have to be for X9 only...unless TGC fixes this.

-Keith

game lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Well how is the AI? Do the allys work well?

We all want to be awesome, but does awesome want to be us?
Dark Overlord
Years of Service
User Offline
This is just enough to pressure me to buy vista, an 8 series card, and x10. Although, I'm also curious to the AI. Are they good allies? Better shots? Do they do some actual damage?

Overlord comes out June 26th, 2007
[IMG]http://www.triumphstudios.com/Overlord_Tower_Minions_Final.JPG[IMG/]
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 15:52 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2007 16:10
When you say your custom stuff doesn't work, could you elaborate more? MOST of my custom stuff works fine, with a few exceptions, and most can be fixed by a few fpe or texture adjustments.

For characters:
For best results characters need 3 textures now. First is a diffuse texture, if you want some transparent parts then use an alpha channel in the diffuse texture, otherwise no alpha in the diffuse. Second, they need a normal map to look decent, it doesn't HAVE to be anything fancy, just flood an image with RGB values of 128,128,255 respectively, and you will get much better ligthing than not using one at all. NO alpha channel in the normal map! Lastly they need a specular map, and this one MUST have an alpha channel, white in the alpha is used for self illumination (like lights on a character), but it MUST have an alpha channel, just fill the alpha with black if you don't need self-illumination.

All characters use Darkai now, at least for now you can't use old fpi commands from X9.

Instancing uses a specific naming structure, look at the scifi character folder for examples, and make sure your naming system for your own stuff isn't interfering with it.

For entities:
The scale property doens't work at least for now, export your models at the size they must appear in game.
The animate=x fpi command doesn't seem to work for now either (for entities).
Some doors I've made needed some adjustments in the fps file to line up right, adjusting the offy value fixed this.
That's what I've found so far, and like I said most things I could fix, except for a few things I made back when I didn't know what I was doing.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks bond for the info Ive got the segments to work changing the textures to dds and making sure they have the three textures like you said also works with one as long as its name yourtexturename.dds.

The old ai scripts work fine for me as well as the darkai long as they in the scriptbank in mydocuments.

Yeah i noticed the scale deal dont work but at least Im getting custom stuff in now.

@game lover Yes he new ai great and works well.

Well with a bit off work and some help from bond I can move forward a bit, its just learning where and what does what.

Many thanks bond s4
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 17:47 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2007 17:49
No problem.

Great to hear the old ai scripts are working for you! I'm still using an RC version of X10, so it's great to hear that everything's working in the final version.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 00:26
Told you it was texture issues S4. Thanks for the info Bond.

Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 07:09
To be honest, I wouldnt mind if TGC made models for X10 only as long as they were the nextgen of FPSC then im up for it.

But please this time if your going to make weapon packs with hands showing, make the hands 1 texture. Its weird having 1 gun with gloves on and the next weapon without.

LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 15:39
I have been having terrible results with custom media as well with the last RC that was released.

I have been working with Lee on a few of the issues, and seem to have my model issues figured out.

My segment and script issues still are giving me headaches. Thanks for the info Bond! That hopefully will resolve my texture issues and I will know what commands to look out for while scripting when my boxed version arrives.

It's easy not to get lost when you have no idea where you are going
Ice Cube
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 04:30
I haven't purchased X10 yet and I was going to ask some questions but I found the answers here, so
Thanks for the info guys!

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 05:36
The targa format has been dropped from microsoft dx10. This is not a TGC issue. DirectX 10 just does not load .tga files. Besides .dds - the .png format loads fine also.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb172694.aspx

"Segments made in signs dont work anymore"

Yes they do unless you are using an older version. TGA support was dropped from Signs around 8 months ago.

As far as characters Bond1's word is WORD.

Also, if you didn't see it before, try the Bond1 waxed floor effect. Raise the water just above the floor, smoothness to 0, speed 0, change the water color and lower fresnel. So many cool things, so little time.
RJ is out Leave a message
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 05:50 Edited at: 5th Dec 2007 05:51
First off. I'd like to give a big congrats to the dude who got his FPSCX10 first...But! I was and everyone else over here on the other end of the planet was hoping for a video of the various problems or bugs with what ever level you made with X10. It's way, way, way to early to make any heads or tails of it. I'd like to see some video of those who have X10 and are playing around with it. I say fraps it,Then slap it on youTube so we can get a better look at your levels and see what problems that person is having. It is vital that everyone should do this. A screen shot is good, A video with crispy clear compression on the tube is better.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
After some time using x10 things are getting a lot better and using custom stuff has become pretty smooth.

@tschwarz Sorry bro I was not pulling yout product down as its great I feel more info on getting custom stuff should be at hand.

Im very impressed with x10 and I feel my review tell people how it is when you first use it as Iv'e said before there should be tut on how to get things up and running and whats not support, I wish to thank everyone who help me.

Best s4
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 14:18
It would be nice if folks started a thread showing how they figured stuff out, or overcame hurdles/learning curves etc. Basically we need a Nicky's guide for X10. Too bad he's taking a break.

But please tell us things such as how to get custom media working etc.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 17:02
The first hurdle to get over would be converting any textures from .tga to .dds or .png.

As that was the de facto standard from FPSC X9 days, most official and community created was in that format. Most everything I created also used that format. Once I have converted my textures most issues have been resolved.

Changes to the scripting language is another hurdle I have yet to fully get over. But I have been making progress. I'm sure there will be an offical list of the changes, if there isn't one already.

It's easy not to get lost when you have no idea where you are going
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 23:52
Ill be interested in seeing what review dx10 fpsc gets at the engine database devmaster, they give an in depth review of engines from experianced reviewers that know what they are talking about.
http://www.devmaster.net/engines/

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivita.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:07:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:07:44