Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / new project on the cards

Author
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 06:06 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 07:39
Ok, well first off. Apart from me not using fpsc long. However like many users wanting to produce a good playable game.
I have been working on a game with some other people (mainly not fpsc users)called Era Blaze, after i started to work out different things and put the suggestion forward. And have been working on it ever since.
After the PS game contest was announced I decided to do a mini game based off the main game in production.

Anyway, the full game was planned to involve a underground tunnel system under a old war prison leading to something that has been underground for many years.
Giving the mix of pre date (by 20years) feel to the game, leading to a modern based game (1000 or more years from now) look. And I am still keen to see it completed, however Im not sure if the game idea is very interesting to players.

This lead me to thinking, now matter what place Era Blaze M.I.A gets. It would have been great to work on it or something different with someone or a few that also enjoy using the engine alot.
I have read many comments from non-fpsc users saying that games made with it are bad etc etc. Yet I believe that it is possible to make something worth while (as seen in the showcase by many users).
Anyway this has lead me to thinking to push my time into a bigger based project however not limited, as Ive read people moving onto DB and x10 and so forth. and personally would still like to make one with x9version and hopefully others may be interested some day. As I dont like asking people if I can help, as Im not sure if my stuff is any good. And Im sure alot of users enjoy doing their projects alone.

To rap things up.
As I was keen to try something new, I made some screens below of a level using segs and entitys I allready had ready, it only took about half an hour. Just an example of some ideas I have. And was keen to see what people thought.

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 06:14 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 06:17
Oh, just to keep people update, yes the shots sit in the 30's on f.p.s. And on the 2nd shot you may see mountains in the background on the left, these are not in the skybox.

Also a funny thing, fpsc kicked into over drive for me last night, hitting a all time high 65fps-72fps. not sure what was the cause, and only lasted 1 level test run. Glitch or too much coffee . . .

Also here's a shot that shows up the grass bank on the right a bit better.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 07:19
Moving to the Showcase forum.

Please have mercy and use the search function.
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks FredP, wasnt sure. And dam I go on a bit. Allways too much for me to type.
Thanks again
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 14:12
Great work; although I'm wondering what the source of the light near the ground/rocks is?

-Keith

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 16:31
Quote: "Also a funny thing, fpsc kicked into over drive for me last night, hitting a all time high 65fps-72fps. not sure what was the cause, and only lasted 1 level test run. Glitch or too much coffee . . .
"

Thats funny, every time my friend plays my games he hit some button and have 3x speed. I dont know which key he presses, maybe its a cheat.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 18:36
Quote: "Great work; although I'm wondering what the source of the light near the ground/rocks is?"

One of those magic glowing mushrooms from the Thief games! Those were weird...

From what I can see, this looks very good. Half the battle with FPSC seems to be knowing what to put into a level: it's all very well saying "I'll make a bunker" but it's got to feel like it's a bunker. Your screens show that you have that skill. Good work. Afraid I can't help since I'm up to my eyes in other projects, but good luck!

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
@KeithC - Thanks, and Im glad someone picked up on that. My try at doing a spotlight, it's aimed from the building not seen on the left. I will post another screen tonight to show what I was trying.
I was thinking of maybe trying lyteFx outside at some point.
Thanks again Keith for taking a look.

@BIG Viking Games - Hey, I like your work. And thanks for letting me know about that. Now when i think about it, I think its the letter X.

@Darth Kiwi -
Quote: "One of those magic glowing mushrooms from the Thief games! Those were weird..."
hahaha.

Thanks for your comment. After making a demo I found some interesting factors to reduce fps problems. So Im keen to apply more outdoor areas to upcoming levels. Let me know if I can ever help yourself. However good luck with Duality, text adventure takes skill also. Keep up the good work.
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 12:08 Edited at: 5th Dec 2007 00:43
For KeithC and others, here is a shot from the other side, of what I was trying to put together. Sorry its a bit dark, was trying new things.

here is some other angles.

This one is kinda like the 1st shots.

Working on a new title now in progress.
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
It is the letter x for unlocking sync.

Nice shots! Your media and level design is superb, keep working it!

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
@Satchmo - Thanks heaps. I really wanted to se what fpsc forum users thought. Kinda helps me find direction, if I know its worth while spending the time.

And in saying that, after reading some more threads around here. And limited time may be around the corner. I plan to go into full action with this next project.
I decided to run this thread first to show some ideas i have with level design, and now plan on contacting selected people directly.
Either way, I would have asked if I could help someone on their project. However since a full level design appeared in my head last night. Im keen to give it a shot.

People are welcome to leave comments here, yet until I can upload sketches or a screen Im happy with at a later date. I will look into starting a new thread or update this one or something. I will also be around here from time to time, yet will be at good old fpscx9 for the following time it takes to see a completed version.

Thanks again to all people that have helped me, good luck to all new and old users working on projects.

*oh and so I dont keeping posting in my threads, moving mine up, when others are more worthy. If a MOD has time, I was thinking that my SMALL ISLAND TEST thread could be moved to Models&Media, as I have since uploaded 1 of the island models for free download. If not, I dont really mind, as Im sure you have seen it.

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 01:36
Wow! this is great! your really going well with this, your level design is spot on! keep it up

HMMMMMMM
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
@Dr Parsnips - Thanks.
I see you've been busy with x10. And working on Chain of Freedom with darimc. Good work from you all involved and good luck with it.
Thanks again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:13:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:13:35