Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / X10 logo?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

just to ask: if I buy commercial license, I have to include logo or reference to the use of X10? I think that for 700-900 euro it's not right to oblige me to put the X10 reference.

thanks
Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure, but I believe you wouldn't need to mention x10 if you have the full license.
Greek freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 17:10
I think you have to though I am not sure...

Oh and why do you guys are making such a big fuss about stupid things?
I mean would it hurt to just put a small logo at the back of the game that you will have created (and if)? It is not a big deal. Will it stop you from selling? No. Will it make your game look less cool? no. So what's the problem everyone has?

I mean... look at big companies like EA etc. At the start of games like battlefield2142 the user has to see that the game was made using dice technology or in crysis using crytek technologie and the user has to see that every time he opens the programm!

The problem is not if there isn't after-death-life. The problem is if there is no life in life!
Black Terror
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 21:13
Yes, but wasn't Crysis developed by the Crytek company? What exactly does EA have to do with this? Of course the publisher's logo will be on the game. But to put First Person Shooter Creator X10 on your game will honestly make it sound unprofessional. I wouldn't mind giving credits to them in a credits section or a read me file, but when they pay 1000 dollars, I don't think it should be forced. Maybe it should be required for people without the license. This way people that don't like advertising the engine or think it will hurt their product, can buy the full license and not worry about engine credits.

Custom graphics, textures, and segments
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Just mention them in the EULA, nobody reads the entire thing for games anyway.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 22:13
true that, true that.
Quote: "Just mention them in the EULA, nobody reads the entire thing for games anyway.
"

join the x games forum: http://www.fps-x-games.com

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 22:17
yeah. they should've renamed this one. like...idk, the Spitfire engine. lol.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 01:40 Edited at: 5th Dec 2007 02:01
Quote: " I wouldn't mind giving credits to them in a credits section or a read me file, but when they pay 1000 dollars, I don't think it should be forced. Maybe it should be required for people without the license. This way people that don't like advertising the engine or think it will hurt their product, can buy the full license and not worry about engine credits."

Key phrases:
"I wouldn't mind giving credits"
What is the difference where the credits are?
It seems that you do mind giving credits to the point that you deem it as unprofessional...
"to put First Person Shooter Creator X10 on your game will honestly make it sound unprofessional. "

"I don't think"
You should try it sometime. lol Just kidding.

Post Script
Also, you do not pay the $1000 up front. You can make up to $5000 before having to pay the license fee.
So, how unprofessional is it if it has already made you 5 times more than the cost of the license before you even pay it?
If you think it sounds unprofessional then maybe you should not be thinking about using it commercially.
There is no difference in crediting TGC, or Crytek, or Unreal, or anyone else, if you use their engines.
It is a decent, considerate, and respectful thing to do, whether asked or not.
I credit them in the license agreement, readme file, loading screens of levels, final scrolling credits, and webpage of downloaded games.
Adding another credit to the box of a boxed version is no problem for me. ( I would have done it anyway )

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment

DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 10:05
If they don't like to give credts to TGC, it's up to them, not up to you. It isn't them making a big deal about this, it's YOU makign a big deal about them.

It's very true that if someone sees the first screens of a game made by FPSX10 may be like "woa, uber pwn4g3, 1337 graphics", but when they stop and see FPSX10 logo, lot's of them will simply stop carying about the game and give ugly comments like "lulz, game'z made on FPSX10, he'z a nub, haha, suxz major *censured*" and most likelly, won't give it a try.

Doesn't matter if the game only uses custom media, that there will be a majority thinking the game isn't worth it.

Why this? Becouse in no time there will be thousands of FPSX10 games with ONLY default media and giving reference to FPSX10, wich gets tiring really quick and it will hurt a lot FPSX10 games made with pure custom media.

You won't notice that in this forum, but try going to sites that give indy game reviews.

To prevent this, and for those that simply don't want to bother giving credits to TGC (more that using their game engine), there should be a second alternative license, much cheaper (dunno, like 30€) so they can remove teh FPSX10 reference. (cheap for the indy costumer, and 'still' more money rolling to TGC pockets).

Everyone is happy.

Just my 2 cents.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 15:47
It seems like the arguments are:

1. You don't want to credit the engine on the game or box because you or others consider it to be unprofessional. Yet you aspire to make a professional quality game and sell it. Or do you hope to make a less than professional quality game and hope no one will notice until after they purchased it? Might I suggest you purchase a more professional engine?

2. You think that the license fee (1000.00 after the first 5000.00 income) should allow you to not credit the engine. Do you understand the concept of branding? By having their name and logo on products that sell, they expand their visibility and sell more product. This is the reward they get for selling you an engine that made a sellable game for 50.00, and allowing you to make 5000.00 before have to buy a license (which is required by any other engine up front and at a much higher cost).

I understand the concept of getting everything you can at as little cost as possible, I really do, but at some point you must allow the company which put years of development and cost into a product to recoup the expenses and make a profit, else they go under.

My two cents.

Best.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 16:24
The license is quite reasonable and better than you will find for most engines...if I make $5000 off of a game I will not only be more than happy to give them their $1000 I will put a big,huge banner at the top of my site that says "THANKS FOR FPSC X10!LEE IS MY HERO!"
If you have issues giving people credit for their work then maybe you should make your own engine.But when you do you will undoubtedly use someone else's stuff and you would have to give them credit.Looks like you're stuck playing video games instead of making them.
This issue some people seem to have with giving people credit for their work makes me sick to my stomach and ashamed to be a developer.
Back in the day (before most of you were born) developers had a code of honor.You gave credit where credit was due...even if someone ripped a game and made a trainer for it they still got credit...that's right...even the pirate's name would be in the credits.I guess as long as they were hacking they hacked themselves into the credits as well.
But if you check into a lot of old Commodore 64 games the programmers,the pirates,the hackers and the trainer programmer all get credit on some of them.
What a sad day it is when we use someone's resources and don't want to give them credit...

Please have mercy and use the search function.
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 17:08 Edited at: 5th Dec 2007 17:15
Didn't some topics like this came to FPS x9 forum long ago in 2005?

Anyway, i really don't see what's the problem of giving or not giving the credits to FPSC (not free custom media, thats totally diferent), the user buyed the software, so it's a start, no?

I'm not thinking on making commercial games with FPSx10 (so right now, this doesn't concern me), but if i did, i know something, i would NEVER be able to sell a worth ammount of games (to pay all the time i lost making custom media), if i had something stating it was made with FPSx10, a "'click and drag' indy game creator".

Perhaps it's just me, but i guess who read my posts already noticed that i'm crazy, paranoid and all that *censured*...

(I'de also like to state another opinion, but i think it's a bit to jerk to write it down in 'this specific' forum, so i stick with this)
Greek freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 17:53
Quote: "I will put a big,huge banner at the top of my site that says "THANKS FOR FPSC X10!LEE IS MY HERO!""

LOL (caps off)

The problem is not if there isn't after-death-life. The problem is if there is no life in life!
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 18:05
Quote: "What a sad day it is when we use someone's resources and don't want to give them credit"

When you think about it. Every move you make is because of many others. We could spend our whole lives giving credit. When it comes to product, it's not about credit or homage. It's about marketing. Otherwise we should have Lee's name displayed. Or my truck would say Karl Benz instead of Chevrolet.

That being said, the license is awesome. Lee did the community a real solid by revising it. The community spoke, and TCG listened and responded. Now it's time to move to constructive stuff and focus on excelling at X10 game development!

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 20:27
Quote: "Anyway, i really don't see what's the problem of giving or not giving the credits to FPSC"

First of all it's part of the license...
And since your name is not the one in question on the credits (it is TGC's) you may have a different viewpoint on this...especially if you spent in excess of $100,000 working on this (that may not be the exact figure...).TGC has invested their capital as well as their hopes and dreams and future (and ours as well).
Now that you have some idea of the scope of all of this maybe you will come to the understanding of why TGC expects credit.
They don't expect you to splash x10 all over the place...probably a mention in the credits would probably work.
If you don't want to give credit to TGC I am sure you will find another point and click first person shooter engine that is this good for this price and they surely won't care if you give them credit...

Please,people,just give people credit for stuff.It's that simple.
You shouldn't have to...you should want to.This shouldn't even be discussed in a thread.We should just give credit where it is due.

DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 15:43
Ok, SORRY for trying to help TGC make a little more money to pay their magnificent work.

I tough that there would be plenty of people ready to buy what i said some lines above, but having people denny profit for TGC gotta be laughable.

Hoppe you're happy

Cheers

(Ohh, and i better not come back to this topic, or i get smithed by the big flamming boot of ban, so don't worry Fred, i'm out )
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
My view is you should be pleased to give credit to TGC for making such a good engine, if you feel you should not give credit than you dont feel the engine is worth making a game in it in the first place.

If we make a good game in x10 and does well shouldn't we be given credit to the engine to show that good games can be made with x10.

So I say be proud to show the x10 badge.

best s4
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 17:14
Quote: "(Ohh, and i better not come back to this topic, or i get smithed by the big flamming boot of ban, so don't worry Fred, i'm out )"

No worries...

My personal postition on this should be clear.You give credit where credit is due.As a moderator whether I agree with what the poster is saying or not most of the posts in this thread fall within the AUP.
Despite my reputation as being hardnosed I can assure you that moderation is the last step that I take to resolve an issue.As long as we all act like reasonable human beings with common sense there won't be any problems.
I think this license is excellent.If you don't make money then TGC don't make money.That's the way to put your product on the line and your money where your mouth is.
And I like the fact that you have to make $5000 before they ask you for any money...they give you a chance to soak in the profits for a few and then when you've made some cash you fork it over to them.
The worst that can happen is you don't like x10 and you're out the cost of purchasing that (I leave out the cost of the computer upgrade as many,including myself,will have to upgrade anyways) and if TGC ever releases a downloadable demo of x10 you wouldn't even be out that.
This is the future.It is exciting to be part of it...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:01:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:01:03