Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Collision and object scaling.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok so I downloaded DB about 2 days ago and I'm working on some stuff. So far my game consists of a box that inside of a much larger box. One box starts at position 0,0,0 and is scaled 1000% the other starts at 0,150,0 and is headed downward.(gravity) What I want is for the little box stop stop when it hits the floor of the big box. However when I scale the big box it doesn't seem to increase the bounding box. Does that make sense? How can I scale the bounding box of the big box to meet the size of the big box? Thanks!
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 05:58
That used to be a problem in DBC.

In that, the only answer was to resize the model using the 3D modelling software used to create it (or any another which is compatible with the file format).

TDK_Man

Rain Man
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think that the bounding box not being resized when you scale the object is the problem:

What kind of collision are you using? You may want to use an INTERSECT OBJECT() function to determine the distance to the bottom of the large box.

Ten minutes to Wapner.
Muqali
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 12:19 Edited at: 5th Dec 2007 18:42
Well I'm using the demo right now, since for some reason the DB site won't accept my debit card atm. So I'm guessing the demo is DBC with some snippets missing.

But I have more than one problem that I've come to realize. The big box I am trying to treat as a room. And the small box as my character object. This is just my own way of testing and finding this about the program.

But here are my two problems, correct me if I'm wrong.
I think even though the box is empty on the inside it will still treat it as a collision if the small box is not touching the outer boarder and is inside the big box.

And then also the problem with the bounding box not scaling because I'm using the demo. I don't appear to have the "show object bounds" um function.

Anyway, here's my code: Cat is the small box (Pic of a cat on it) And obviously room is the big box.

So do I just need to get pro then and problem solved? Also if I need to somehow hollow out the box so inside it's not a collision how would I do that? Or will I need a separate object for the floor, walls and ceiling? (Edit: Now that I think about it I think that's what you meant by checking for the bottom of the big box.)

Also another question..... since I don't want to start another thread and be viewed as an idiot... is it dumb to make my levels using milkshape?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 08:19:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 08:19:44