Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Real Estate Magnate

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 04:05 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 04:18
Build your Empire!
Do you think you have what it takes to manage a real estate business? Can you maximize your profits with rivals breathing down your neck? Can you find desirable tenants for the lowliest apartments, and deal with their various issues and complaints? Can you keep your fleet of employees happy and productive while still preserving as much money as possible? The realty world is tough... thankfully, you can now find out what it's like without ruining your credit score. Welcome to Real Estate Magnate, the newest simulation game from MISoft Studios!

A new breed of Simulator
We know what you're thinking... "great, another Tycoon game." But rest assured that Real Estate Magnate is anything but! Before we started the design phase, we spent countless hours researching the "Tycoon" games of old, from the best to the worst products ever released. We designed this game from the earliest conceptual phase to make total use of the best features fans of this genre have come to appreciate over the years. The end result is a game rich with content and aesthetic appeal that is easily and without question the highest quality game MISoft has produced to date. Featuring beautiful 2D imagery created by MISoft's Art Director Adam (Agent Dink) and stunning music created by MISoft's lead music composer Liam (Epithika), we're proud to say that Real Estate Magnate is the first MISoft Studios game your computer will thank you for playing .

Test your Business Bravado
There's plenty of ways to earn (or lose) money in Real Estate Magnate. Purchase empty plots of land or barren, abandoned city blocks and sell them to money-hungry developers. "Flip homes" by purchasing old, run-down residential properties, renovating them, and then selling them to families looking for a new place to live... or simply work with current homeowners to get their property on the market. Manage an empire of apartment buildings and commercial properties, finding and dealing with tenants from various walks of life as they make demands and end up being late with their rent. From the tiniest bungalow home to the most epic skyscrapers in the city, you'll work your way up the real estate food chain to beat out your competition and become the world's wealthiest developer.

Know your customers, love your employees
"Tycoon" games are infamous for faceless, nameless customers and employees who lack personality. You won't find this in Real Estate Magnate! Every customer has a name and a personality... you can get to know your clients on a first-name basis and work toward finding their dream home or ideal apartment. And your employees have real-time statistics that change based on how you treat them, what their work conditions are like, and how busy you keep them. You can adjust salaries and benefits to be a rutheless weasel or magnificent manager depending on how you want to run your business. Hey, it's your money, you should get to handle employees how YOU want to!

It's up to You...
Will your business flourish or fall apart? There's only one way to find out... play Real Estate Magnate when we release it. Tentatively scheduled for early 2008!

Join the MISoft Studios Family!
We're currently looking for one or two artists to join our team. Working directly under Agent Dink, you'd need to create 2D imagery of people and buildings for our game (currently, images of buildings and people in the screenshots posted above are temporary, as is the map system). If you're interested in this position, please email me at mattrock[AT]misoftstudios[DOT]com, or by using the email button posted below.

Other Info
REM is about 80% finished as of the time I'm writing this and we're hoping to release it early in 2008 (February or March hopefully). I'll be updating this thread constantly as we develop new screens and as we finish working on the REM website. This game has previously been referred to by the MISoft Studios dev team as "Project Domesticated Ferret," for those of you wondering when it would be announced. "Project Sewer Rat" will be announced in a few weeks . We'll be posting new screens in the next few weeks and hopefully we'll have a working demo finished soon as well. Anyway, your feedback is welcome as always .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 04:26 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 04:28
Finally, a WIP. Does that mean I don't need to shut up about it anymore? Besides that, this is looking far more impressive than the things I had heard about it: really, really pro stuff here, Matt. I'm honestly impressed .

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 04:27 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 04:28
hehe yes, consider your mouth weapons-free, clear to engage

Edit: Oh, and if you and Gil need some content for the next issue of Untitled, you know my number lol.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Finally, a WIP. Does that mean I don't need to shut up about it anymore? Besides that, this is looking far more impressive than the things I had heard about it: really, really pro stuff here, Matt. I'm honestly impressed .
"

Hmm considering that all the art in these screenshots was done by me, I thank you for your kind comments ^_^

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 04:39
Actually, ask Matt how positive I was about you in the mail I just sent him!

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 04:40 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 04:43
Have no fear, Rami emailed me shortly after I posted it and said, direct quote:

Quote: "Congratulations on an extremely impressive WIP post there, Matt. Love what Adam did for the frontend, millions of times better than what I made back then."

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I concur, the WIP post looks very nice, even without my art. Grats Matt, 's all around!

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 04:45
lol thank you . Although Dink deserves the real credit, it's his screens that make the game look beautiful!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 05:10 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 05:10
Very nice stuff. Seems pretty exciting. The name doesn't do much for me, but I'm loving the screens and the description.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 05:12
@Bizar Guy: The name doesn't do much for you?! For craps sake! It rhymes!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 05:17
Oh wait!!! I thought it said MANAGMENT! Sorry, the name is a lot better than I thought. Is there some way to make it easier to make that out though for people like me who can't read?

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 05:18 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 05:19
The title was originally going to be "Real Estate Mogul," but someone out there in indie-land had already made a game with that title, sadly. And we didn't want to call it "Real Estate Tycoon" because, well, this game is too good for the "Tycoon" title, to be one half arrogant and one half honest, hehe.

At any rate, glad you like it Bizar . I can't wait to get some more screens up and a demo down the road.

EDIT: OH!!! hehehe awesome, yeah, if it were Real Estate Management I'd hate it too . I probably used the word management too much in the descriptive text, I'll see if I can fix that

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 08:42 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 08:42
Neat! Glad to see this finally up! I had heard from Dink that you had an undercover project underway (no, he didn't tell me anything about it).

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for covering my tail Uncle Sam! Pheeew! JK JK!

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 11:10
Wow...
That's gotta be one of the best interfaces I've seen on a Dark Basic game.

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 11:50
The game looks interesting and I like the artwork as well Keep it up!

[center]
CREATE games with ease! NO programming required!
WIP
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 21:19
very pro indeed, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... wanna play it

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee cappacino, JAVA!
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 21:26 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 21:28
this looks great

Free music @ WWW.Soundclick.COM\Peacemaker
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 22:40
Quote: "I had heard from Dink that you had an undercover project underway (no, he didn't tell me anything about it)."

All of our project's are top secret, hehe. He may have been referencing "Domesticated Ferret" (REM), but he MAY have been referencing "Starving Fox." Muahahahaha! I love our code names, lol, but not as much as I love leaving people guessing . Sorry hehehe, I had to do that! This is the part where dink says "no, sorry, I was referencing DF," lol.

Quote: "That's gotta be one of the best interfaces I've seen on a Dark Basic game."

That's 100% Agent Dink . These screenshots don't really do the game proper justice. The frontend is fully animated, with buildings popping up, clouds moving between buildings, and the sun spiraling in the sky. And all of the buttons tastefully light up and change colors as well, very gorgeous. I'm so anxious to wrap up the demo and put it in this thread .

Quote: "very pro indeed, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... wanna play it"

We're hoping to have a demo released by late december or early january .

Again, I should mention that we need artists! The building and the vector-image guy in these screens are both temporary. The game has tons of buildings and tons of characters that need to be created, in the sort of cartoon-style Agent Dink has created so far. If anyone is interested, email me as soon as you get the chance.

Glad to see that everyone likes this so far . I can't wait to get this game's demo released... I need to get back to work on it, hehe.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the positive comments so far everyone

Yes, I'm pretty sure I just mentioned "Domesticated Ferret" to Sam... I may have mentioned the pure awesomeness of the future "Starving Fox" but nothing beyond the fact it will be awesome has been disclosed.

About the artists. Finding someone with skills in the realm of Vector art (or just a pixel artist who can get a similar look) is pretty important to this project if it is to be released in a timely fashion. If I had more time I'd do these myself, but unfortunately this isn't the case at the moment and I still have a good deal of menus and buttons to finish up for this project.

If you'd like to help, just e-mail me or post in this thread with some similar styles of artwork you have done 100% yourself. If you don't have anything, but you think you can do it, we'll give you a description of a needed image and you can do your best to create it. If you can finish it up nice and we like what we see, consider yourself employed by MISoft Studios

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 23:02
Quote: "Yes, I'm pretty sure I just mentioned "Domesticated Ferret" to Sam... I may have mentioned the pure awesomeness of the future "Starving Fox" but nothing beyond the fact it will be awesome has been disclosed."

No worries hehe, I trust you . This is the first time Starving Fox has ever been publicly mentioned or discussed. I'll bet other people at MISoft are looking at this thread and saying "what?!?" lol, only three people at MISoft Studios (myself, Colin (MISoft's other co-owner) and Dink) know anything whatsoever about this project. So now we have all of our cards on the table, sorta hehe. REM, "Sewer Rat," Capital Punishment, and "Starving Fox" will all be released in 2008 as commercial products . We have a really busy year ahead of us!

epithika
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 18:19
Wow! The screenshots look amazing! I can't wait to play the demo!

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
If you haven't allready I will try to make you a website for it.

[href=http://www.freewebs.com/deatheadstudios/]

[/href]
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
That's alright Deathead. I think I have that covered. With the update to MISoftstudios.com (or MINet as we call it for short) we are planning a game subsite creator so we have it covered. Thanks for the offer though.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 00:29
Quote: "Yes, I'm pretty sure I just mentioned "Domesticated Ferret" to Sam... I may have mentioned the pure awesomeness of the future "Starving Fox" but nothing beyond the fact it will be awesome has been disclosed."

Of course.

This has a very professional air to it. It's going to be amazing.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn just started making one. Could I just make a Fan website.XD

[/href]
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, Deathead, if you wanna keep making it, we can see how it turns out, I suppose it doesn't really matter. If it looks good I'll talk it over with Matt. We can use it at least for temporary then as it will take some time to build the subsite creator.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 03:40 Edited at: 8th Dec 2007 03:42
And if we don't end up using it, a fan site would totally rock . We could finally create a "Fan Sites" area on our MILinks page!

You know what this game release is going to need? Some serious promo offers . I'm going to talk this over with everyone tomorrow and see if maybe we can offer some promo stuff (like free games ) to people who make fan sites for MISoft or specific projects by some particular date. Would anyone think that'd be a cool promo, or is it silly?

EDIT: Maybe we could throw together some sort of special walkthrough or cheat codes exclusively for fansites as well .

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
I'am not making this fansite with any free website maker. I am coding it in full .html.

[/href]
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 11:48
Looks just purty.

Sudoku arts, the rabi and Nancy DrewG
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 12:01 Edited at: 8th Dec 2007 12:22
Ok made a screen shot the image in the middle is not there "yet" so I placed it it on where its mean't to be to show you.

[/href]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 12:30
Woah, I just found the email in my inbox about this! Looks stunning, I'm very very intrigued since not only does the game appeal to me, but the team too: there's something nice about not just having a faceless bunch of lawyer-slash-bureaucrats dictating what the game should have! Interface looks wonderful, and you seem to have added interesting levels of detail on a personal level, like the way you get such a detailed description of the "he won't stop playing loud music" problem.

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol @ Deathhead... you pretty much had the same idea I had for box art... Keep on working on the site, the only major compaint I have is the pink border... make it blue, like the planet, or possibly orange. Also, the gray gradient over the image doesn't seem to do it for me, maybe make it black?

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok.

[/href]
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 00:54
I concur, the pink line was the only thing I wasn't keen on, otherwise, fantastic .

Quote: "Woah, I just found the email in my inbox about this!"

hehe yeah, that was a sort of "oops" moment on my part. When I was assembling our SOTS email list ("SOTS" is our "State of the Studio Address," an internal newsletter for MISoft team members and close friends of the team), I accidentally put a few Text Adventure Competition entrants and one or two people affiliated with the TGC Webring on the roster. It actually wasn't intentional, hehe, but if the recipients didn't mind getting it you can all keep getting those emails quarterly. Really, anyone on TGC who I consider a "regular" in the community can get them when they go out, the stuff in the SOTS that would require an NDA to know is all code-named anyway, hehe. And naturally my SOTS mailing recipient mistake has brought up talk of creating a proper newsletter again . Might stir up some conversation about that again on the MINet forums.

Quote: "I'm very very intrigued since not only does the game appeal to me, but the team too: there's something nice about not just having a faceless bunch of lawyer-slash-bureaucrats dictating what the game should have!"

That's the beauty of being a self-publishing development "company" (not a proper company yet but this spring or summer, can't wait!). The only third party who can say "we don't like such and such feature" is the fans . On the team level, *everyone* has a fair and equal say in what the game does and doesn't do, with some managerial commentary of course. And as a team we try to be democratic about quite a few things, with votes and polls and all that. I think that's how we got this game to a presentable level so fast (we started serious dev work May 30th 2007!), and also how we're going to get at least four games out in 2008 .

Hopefully we'll find the other artist(s) soon, I'm thinking maybe I should make a proper team request over on the 2D boards, not sure if that'd be alright though. Any mods following the thread?

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
BTW the way that could just be your opening website. Like a connecter between websites. So then we could have both websites!

[/href]
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 02:38
So, you mean the official MISoft Studios website and then the Deathead fansite, both connected directly through one page? Might be pretty cool

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
You know like some pages which show the publisher etc.. and then it goes to the official website.

[/href]
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 05:08
I dig it, ultimately it's Dink's decision, being that he's art director and webmaster, but if he decides to not use it for any reason, I'd be extremely honored to see a fansite for a MISoft game, and I'd be willing to offer you special, exclusive cheats and walkthroughs and stuff for some added content . And really, a free copy of REM when we release it, probably a few days before the launch, too... that's how awesome it is to hear about a potential fansite, for me anyway. I must say, the offer or even suggestion of a fansite related to MISoft definitely makes me feel pretty dang cool, hehe.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 13:51
I'd love to keep getting announcements about MISoft! A quarterly newsletter, or even just brief email update would be most welcome.

I'm afraid I can't really help since my total experience of 2d art on a computer is occasionally making textures.

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 15:00
I'd love to get a proper MISoft newsletter going, maybe a monthly one, but we simply don't have the manpower (or girlpower lol, can't diss the females on the team ) with everyone working on four different games at once. So for now, the SOTS will have to do . If anyone else wants to get on the mailing list for our quarterly newsletter, email me and I'll be happy to add you. Just don't be confused by MISoft's definition of a quarter... MISoft's "birthday" is May 10th, so Q1 is may, june, and july, Q2 is august, september, october, etc.

A question for all of you about art: A while back I had an idea about creating a game based entirely on photographs, but Cash Curtis eventually talked me out of doing it. But we're having a really difficult time finding additional artists for REM, so I'm left wondering... what if we just used photographs of buildings instead of drawn 2D images or vector images? Would that be cool or outrageously tacky? I kind of like it in the screenshot we posted up above to be honest, but then I'm the guy who made the art for Cheney Hunter, and I'd make a full game in MS Paint if I thought you guys would actually play it . In other words, my opinion of art should never count for anything, lol. So what does everyone else think of that idea?

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good and professional. This may not be my kind of game (not inte the buisness games) but I was really impressed by those images. Goodluck with your project.

Darknes, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 16:19 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 16:22
Send me the photos and I'll trace em and vectorize em. That could work out.

Example? Sure!

Don't want more details, though.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 16:32
Dink and I were discussing using vector art, that could very well work. Plus, you and Chris Franklin are the only two MISofters (hehe, there's a new phrase) not assigned to projects right now, so you both need work to do, lol. EE2 doesn't quite count since serious dev hasn't started yet (beyond the EESL), although you're creating an entire island and a completely unique culture from scratch so I'm in no place to question how much you're getting done . Joking aside, I dig it, I'll have Dink email you about it . It would be awesome, then all we'd need is a character artist and we'd be all set. And it's always better to do stuff in-house and not have to have people sign more contracts and all that . Speaking of contracts, I need to get you the new TMC soon and get your pay sorted out, I keep forgetting to send you that! Next time you email me remind me to send you that lol.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Sent you an e-mail Rami.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 18:18
Jeez, I feel third in line . But sure. Mail me whatever houses you want and I'll look at them .

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 19:59
I'll drive around tomorrow and take pictures of some houses. The only problem with it is I need to walk up to the door and ring the doorbell and get them to sign some type of waiver or something, lol. Might be slightly embarrassing

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 20:09
"Sir, I plan to use your house as a picture to portray the home a annoying, loud man. That okay?"

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 20:20
LOL yeah, or "Excuse me sir, I'm making a video game where a house can catch fire and be conquered by roaches, and I must say, you have the PERFECT HOME for this new title!"

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 20:22
I'll buy you something to drink if you can proof that you tried that one with a random unknown house.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:33:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:33:24