Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Digital Hangman - 2D Puzzle/Action

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 04:36 Edited at: 26th Dec 2007 16:34
An action version of the classic.
I was planning on finishing Reality Bend, my text adventure, but to be honest text adventures are incredibly tedious to code. I'm amazed I managed to get the 5000 lines I did. I'm working on this now because:
1.) It's graphical and therefore, more fun to code and more satisfying to see done.
2.) David Gervais made all these cool graphics in The Artist's Challenge thread and nobody ever used them, which seemed like a shame .

Screenshots:

Done:
Game logic, including:
--Functionality for words of any length
--Win/Loss
--Options to change music, sound volume in-game
--Other...
All graphics (Thanks David Gervais!)
Uber-cool Background Music (Thanks Fallout!)
Scrolling Background
High Scores
Action Mode. Letters are flying across the screen. Let the right ones through!

In Progress:
An intro sequence, something funny involving the old west.

Ideas: (FEEDBACK NEEDED)
To make this game a bit different from just a boring, average Hangman Game (albeit one with really good graphics ), I'm considering adding an action element to it (I.E. Asteroids and fighter jets fly across the screen at your hangman, if he gets hit you get one wrong answer. You can destroy them by clicking on them. Does anyone thing this would be more fun, or do you like it the way it is?
Story mode. Break innocent people out of prisons on enemy planets, shooting down asteroids and fighters while guessing!
Time attack mode. How many can you solve in time?

Removed:
User-defined wordlists

Demo is out! See a few posts down.

"Ok, so that wasn't funny. I don' have any good Christmas jokes."
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 04:50 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 04:50
How about random letters flying at the hangman, no normal input and instead every letter that hits the hangman is counted as a try?

So if you think the word is "Idiot", you'd let the letters I-D-O-T fly, and shoot the others.

I love how there's so many pro WIP's here tonight.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 04:57
Hehe, I actually like that idea. I should add that to the list of modes. So far I only have normal mode, but...

Time Attack Mode - How many can you solve in time?
Story Mode - Rescue prisoners, avoiding asteroids and baddies
Action Mode - Letters fly across, let the right ones through!
Normal Mode - Solve those words!

Quote: "I love how there's so many pro WIP's here tonight"

Thanks .

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 05:12
Definitely looking good Bmac! Some input about your ideas:

Quote: "To make this game a bit different from just a boring, average Hangman Game (albeit one with really good graphics ), I'm considering adding an action element to it (I.E. Asteroids and fighter jets fly across the screen at your hangman, if he gets hit you get one wrong answer. You can destroy them by clicking on them. Does anyone thing this would be more fun, or do you like it the way it is?"

Depends on how you implement it. If the first level doesn't have anything else, but the next level has slow-moving objects, and they start moving faster as the levels progress, I think it would be a pretty welcomed change to classic hangman .

Quote: "An intro sequence, something funny involving the old west."

Seems like it would be pretty cool, but why the old west? I'd personally stick to the sci-fi/ space theme you have going, say a space man suffers from "space madness" and this is his trial, hehe.

Quote: "Story mode. Break innocent people out of prisons on enemy planets, shooting down asteroids and fighters while guessing!"

Would be an awesome mini-game I think, unless you have a good story to progress the player through level-after-level.

Quote: "Time attack mode. How many can you solve in time?"

Maybe instead you could time each word, know what I mean? Or have two simultaneous clocks running... if you get a word right, it tacks time onto the round's timer, and the faster you solve puzzles the more time you'll have to earn points per round.

Quote: "Action mode. Letters are flying across the screen. Let the right ones through!"

Also a cool idea. You might be able to release this as an educational game if you keep the content child-happy

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 05:15
Quote: "Seems like it would be pretty cool, but why the old west? I'd personally stick to the sci-fi/ space theme you have going, say a space man suffers from "space madness" and this is his trial, hehe."

Naah, pull an Assassins Creed here. Present the game as a Sci-fi and overhype the hidden Western aspect, and then completely blow the surprise by showing the sci-fi element in the first 20 seconds of the game.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 05:19 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 16:57
Quote: "Seems like it would be pretty cool, but why the old west? I'd personally stick to the sci-fi/ space theme you have going, say a space man suffers from "space madness" and this is his trial, hehe."

Hehe. The intro I had in mind was a humorous one - Old west, cowboys, ragtime music, and then...BAM! The futuristic menu slams down on it. But it could go either way.
Edit: Just like tha_rami posted at the same time.

Quote: "Maybe instead you could time each word, know what I mean? Or have two simultaneous clocks running... if you get a word right, it tacks time onto the round's timer, and the faster you solve puzzles the more time you'll have to earn points per round."

Good suggestions, guys. Thanks!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 02:12 Edited at: 8th Dec 2007 02:21
New Stuff!

You can see the letters flying across the screen now in the screenshot below. They don't do anything but fly across the screen yet, but later I will, of course, code that . You can see how far I have gotten in the DEMO attached

I know, the action mode is not done yet, but normal mode is in perfect working order, and so are the high scores. So you guys can check out the demo while I finish that .

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:32:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:32:43