Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Seppuku's Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 19:20 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 15:21
Don't know what to call it, it's too early for names - I know a few people are working on engines - FPS ones, RPG ones etc. well I was working on a RPG engine and due to certain dll problems I've had to ditch it and decided to start from scratch - and am approaching it differently.

What can you expect from this - well at this current moment (of posting) all you can make is simple maze games without a title screen or music (the code for music is buggy, so it's excluded)

But I'm going to cover different things - it'll be a 3rd person game engine - the current plan will move from Simple Maze Games to More Complex Ones to Adventure to Horror to RPG - (rather than going into a straight RPG) of course in the end the final should be able to develop all types without modifying the source code.

It's in its early stages, only started work on it on saturday and have been playing with m code with free moments I've had. I've also mastered the loading system which I was incapable of doing with my previous engine attempt.

I've tried uploading a demo, but it's not uploading right -> I'll try my file front account later.

This is an engine the basically requires to use the scripts. I'm using Zotoaster's file script system and Sparky's dll and will be applying Evolved's shaders.

Screenshots:

Not much in terms of appearances, but how the engines works:

Well so far you can run as many levels as your heart desires - at the moment the first level has to have its default file name - following levels are define in your level scripts - the script functions will be separated between different files later on.

The scripts really just cover loading objects, setting up their types (object, world, player, key, door - object and world are currently the same thing) and parameters.

A current list of scripts 'commands/variables':

I will use an example code for objects:
with the 'number_of_objects' all of your object numbers have to be between 1 and the number you enter for that variable, and you have to use up all of the numbers between.

I love Nancy DrewG, but not insert brain here
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 19:28 Edited at: 6th Dec 2007 20:16
nice, will you release it?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 01:35 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 01:36
Cheers man,

yes it will be released and probably open source too.

As I am replying, may as well tell you a small progress update - just to prove I'm working here.

I have a working inventory system (I say a system, I mean the character carries the values only at the moment - no fancy UI or anything)- though only one object means something at the moment and that's the key (Still needs work - as the inventory reads off of a script - the script might want to be updated for saving purposes), but what the hey. Also there's loading screens and the music now works - it seems to be DBP not being able to play my midis, so I had to use mp3s.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 02:33
Heya Seppuku,

Nice to see some stuff from you again! Been a while, hasn't it?
Glad to hear you're making progress. I'd call this game "Rise of the Evil Empire" and call this level "Hello Kitty Cookie Factory Basement".

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 10:49
Thats pretty nice

Im gonna speed up my scritping system so i can read scripts real time really fast!

IF you need help just look out of me in msn

Click For Details!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 16:10
Quote: "
Im gonna speed up my scritping system so i can read scripts real time really fast!
"

Yes I noticed one method found that the FPS rate dropped, it seems Zotoaster's method is capable of reading them speedily in real time, my current inventory is reading in real time, though it shouldn't be - but I was experiementing with 'real time saving', but I think I'll go with the classic RPG 'find me a save point' route.

Quote: "Nice to see some stuff from you again! Been a while, hasn't it?
Glad to hear you're making progress. I'd call this game "Rise of the Evil Empire" and call this level "Hello Kitty Cookie Factory Basement"."

Cheers man, development road has been rocky - never found a method of development that's been able to tie in with my busy schedules - but I am happy with this engine - as it's more of a building on top that a building towards - if you catch my drift.

As for the game - this is current for the purpose of developing an engine, but why not, I mean the engine needs something to test itself with. (Plus everybody knows about our evil empire!)

Next update I'm going to try and have the inventory system complete and then use it to have sets of keys and items to interact with the environment - first different Keys + different doors. But I'll leave it for a few days, one - I've got work to do and two- I have a nasty cough which made it impossible to program last night when I started cough...bloody English weather is all I can say.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 16:52
This is a great way to build a base for all your games. I'm doing the same as well in the background, and can't recommend it enough.

I look forward to seeing updates!

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 18:35
Quote: "Yes I noticed one method found that the FPS rate dropped, it seems Zotoaster's method is capable of reading them speedily in real time, my current inventory is reading in real time, though it shouldn't be - but I was experiementing with 'real time saving', but I think I'll go with the classic RPG 'find me a save point' route."

Hehe.. Ill choosed the 'find me a save point' way because im so used into it

I just fetched my scripts into arrays and when map changes i delete the scripts from memory. Now i can read all my scripts ultra fast with variables and math formulas

Im pretty happy with it.

Click For Details!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 18:50
Roxas, sounds similar to the script code Zotoaster made - it seems to have worked there, so I'm glad it's working for you - you did the hard work of making your own whilst I cheated and begged for a script system.

Quote: "This is a great way to build a base for all your games. I'm doing the same as well in the background, and can't recommend it enough.

I look forward to seeing updates!"

Cheers man, I actually feel it's a better way to work things - I did this method with my last engine - but I didn't prioritise the right elements - plus lua went cookoo on me.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 18:55
Quote: "Cheers man, I actually feel it's a better way to work things - I did this method with my last engine - but I didn't prioritise the right elements - plus lua went cookoo on me."

Yes.. Ive had many failed attempts too. Its pretty hard to make good engine what you can use always to make new game fast as you can

Btw seppuku come msn ^^

Click For Details!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 19:11
Looks nice so far, keep up the work .

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 23:41
Yay, you have something up now, good job...quite an acheivement for doing uni as well..that has to be stressful. We're paitent and your genius will be unveiled soon.

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee cappacino, JAVA!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 14:32
Quote: "Yes.. Ive had many failed attempts too. Its pretty hard to make good engine what you can use always to make new game fast as you can

Btw seppuku come msn ^^"

Indeed, looks like we're succeeding in those respects - though I won't speak too soon.

As for MSN - I'll go on when I've got time to chat - this weekend I got to go down town and come back here to get on with my uni work. (And MSN would be a big distraction)

Quote: "Looks nice so far, keep up the work"

Quote: "Yay, you have something up now, good job...quite an acheivement for doing uni as well..that has to be stressful. We're paitent and your genius will be unveiled soon."

Cheers guys, with the uni, as I am living on my own and my contact hours consist of 3 days a week it makes it much easier to schedule, with the current amount of work I'm getting I can use half of Thurdays and all of Fridays (Or 1 weekend day) of doing what I want so time is more manageable - though when deadlines start I won't have the privilege.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 20:56
For the engine, I recommend breaking it all up into functions, so you can take the bits you want for any type of game. This will mean you'll have all different bits of code that can work in any game you make. It would be like having a bunch of different Lego pieces that you could use to build different things, instead of trying to make everything fit to the same model.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 15:24 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 15:25
Good advice, I forgot about doing that, I've spent this morning doing that, well functions and gosubs as I found some gosubs more convenient.

I've really only done a small update (image in the first thread), got to get on with my work - but I've set up a loading icon and title screen - title screen is a work in progress - needs 'New Game | Load Game | Quit' instances. Load game/save game hasn't been set up yet, so I'll leave that part until a little bit later - once I've got the inventory system finished.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 15:47
I only use gosubs when defining types
And i put the gosubs into functions so they dont look ugly in main code

Click For Details!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 00:47
Demo 1:
You are fully capable of making a maze game, it has a title screen with title music, a loading banner, the ability to scripts a number of levels - each with bump mapped worlds, music, keys, doors. The source code is included, meaning you can use this a starting point to build your own engine features.

Included Scripts:
title.sep - default script, it has the title scripts and the filename of the script for your first level - commands (and the values have to be filled) are:

You will also have your level scripts - the commands for this (are and they have to be filled):

You will notice in the download other scripts, they're not important as they are scripts I am using to code the inventory system which I have disabled for this version.

Control is Simple - Up = Forward, Down = Backward, left = turn left, Right = turn right. IF you have the key, you can press enter to use it on the door.

The object of a maze game:
Get the key and exit the maze - current level models are just example and require little intelligence to actually complete the level.
Download:
http://files.filefront.com/vortex/;9226625;/fileinfo.html

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 02:26
Hmm..
Sorry to say this.. But that looks more like cvar system than scripting system..

Anyways great work!

Click For Details!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 16:39
Same difference in my book, I'm not one with the particulars.

Cheers.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 16:56
Oooh.. I like the loading screen

Quote: "Same difference in my book, I'm not one with the particulars."

Actually no. Cvars are used defining some things eg settings for objects like scale and so on..
I do use Cvars as well but also scripting system!

Scripting is more like programing but implented into engine

Click For Details!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 17:41
When I say 'Same difference in my book', I mean I'm not too fussed about which is which - though I suppose I'd have to know if I were to release it I'd look like a fool, so I guess you save me from looking like a nonse on a larger scale.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 17:49
Quote: "When I say 'Same difference in my book', I mean I'm not too fussed about which is which - though I suppose I'd have to know if I were to release it I'd look like a fool, so I guess you save me from looking like a nonse on a larger scale. "

Yes i only tried to change facts on 'your book'
Tough im not expert too tho..

Click For Details!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 18:26 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 18:32
Hehe, well my 'book' is full of pure fantasy, so I wouldn't even bother trying to straighten out its facts.

Well I am currently trying a text adventure engine with this - kind of inspired by Matt Rock's give away, but I thought it would be nice to use it to test other things which can be applied when implementing quest and talking systems.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 18:37
Cant wait to see how it will be
Oh also if you want i can gladly lend you my scripting system

Click For Details!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 19:15
I might take you up on that offer at a later stage - my focus is to get a working and fully functioning engine thats convenient for me to use - so that'll be something I might need when improving it. Really I just want something done.

Cheers...Text Adventure system nearly there, just need to sort out some inventory, which I'll probably do another day, but now you can create a text adventure game with music. Though you can't save and you can't carry anything, but when I implement those, they'll be features I'll implement into my main 3D engine.

Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
ooo looks nice.
Is this the same/upgraded one from the one u did last time? that dwarf one if i remember correctly...

Good luck with ur scripts, i know they can be a pain in the ass lol

nack

Nream is DONE! 3D Adventure Maker
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 21:28
Cheers man,

The engine is a revamp of the old one if you will - the other one became a pain because I stick to the essentials and build up and when lua failed on me I decided to start from scratch (well sort of) again and take it a bit more slowly.

Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
You are using lua? isnt that suppose to be best scripting system there is? (never tried it though lol)
why are you using homemade script system when lua is so complete?

Nream is DONE! 3D Adventure Maker
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 22:27
I was using LUA, but it wasn't Unity, I was using Barnski's dll, for some reason it started crashing on me - reinstalled it, it kept on doing it, kept checking through my code and testing it and couldn't find the problem and thought 'screw the plugin'. It wasn't so much the scripting system itself but the fact karma was getting at me for being a cheapskate and downloading the free version of a DBP plugin.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 05:24
@Seppuku Arts your engine looks great! Will it support a fantasy/adventure game? All the best, Beastegargoyle

Streets of Rage the best 3d beat em up ever check out the wip on apollo forums!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 17:06
Cheers. Should be able to once it's complete. At the moment I'm using its Text Adventure side to make a game. Just so I can have at least one game to my name in 2008. Then I will get back onto the rest of its features.

So far planned is a more advanced maze engine - then turn that into an adventure engine, then into a basic rpg/horror then into a complete horror. Basically gradually build in new features that can be used to make those sort of games. Mixing the main features of the Text Adventure and Advanced Maze Engine means an adventure engine can be made and so on.

mjoðr er lekker
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking really nice! It's great to see you've found a development method you like! Keep up the good work man.

Looking forward to seeing a demo sometime soon.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 19:51
Hehee.. I cant wait when you get back to your good computer! Id really want to share ideas on msn and so on. Im also thinking when my engine basics are done, i start rewriting and optimizing some parts.

But if you need the scripting system i can gladly lend it!
Ps. Finish the text adventure part quick I dont want to see many text adventure games done with engine that uses directx9

Anyways

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 20:26
Lol, cheers, I'm happy with my current system for the time being - but once I've done all of the features I want, I might use your scripting system...depends on how well I get the end result running.

As for the text adventure well I'll get it done ASAP, I just want a finished project people would play - text adventures aren't so bad, even thought it'd use DX9, but it uses images and music to make it looks less boring... The good thing about utilizing a thing like that gives the opportunity to make decent 'talking' or 'text' engine within the game.

Also, Matt Rock kind of inspired me to do a text adventure, I played his Eternal Equinox and thought it's not a bad way to get a game done - and when you get started you want to continue playing. One thing I used to find with text adventures is atmosphere, but music and images are useful for that, and hopefully my writing will be atmospheric enough too.

Also, I'm probably going to utilize all of the 'game types' with my engine as a demonstration of what users can do. With any luck at the end I'll do a level editor, but that'd be getting ahead of myself a little.

mjoðr er lekker
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 21:07 Edited at: 30th Dec 2007 21:07
Haha, Very true!

We will see then

Your signature has been erased by a mod

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:20:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:20:10