Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Using Windows Forms with GDK ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to use a new window, namely a Windows Form within VC++ Express 2008 along with the GDK window? When I try adding a new windows form, I am told that I will have to use CLR.

When I do this, I get the compile error: "flags /MT and /CLR are not compatible".

I assume since it's using the CLR that it is .NET, and it is using managed code to handle the windowing, etc.

Would you be able to do this with Dark GDK.NET ?

Thanks...
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 16:07
I had the same problem, vc++2008(express) doesn't have the resource editor built-in.

You can however from here http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/products/aa700831.aspx download a 90 day trial version of Visual Studio 2008 Professional. Which of course has all the goodness (i.e. resource editor).

The Sun is trying to kill me!
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 15:25
Quote: "Would you be able to do this with Dark GDK.NET ?"

Yes, with DGDK.NET you can use Windows Forms, you can even make it render to a PictureBox!

Thiago
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 15:38
A1 Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
monotonic,
The resource editor is somemthing different entirely. You can make forms all day with Express edition.

Jason,
Yeah, you can do it with C++, but it's using the CLR at that point, and therefor .NET. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

How do you go about getting Dark GDK.NET ?
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 14:46 Edited at: 13th Dec 2007 14:48
Quote: "The resource editor is somemthing different entirely. You can make forms all day with Express edition. "

The resource editor (which is missing from VC++ Express) allows you to create templates for win32 dialogs and menus etc... By windows form I take it you mean the .NET form which is just a standard window with a new name and wrapped up into a fancy class structure. Using Win32 is easy enough, a bit long winded, but easy.

Quote: "Yeah, you can do it with C++, but it's using the CLR at that point, and therefor .NET. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong."

Yep the CLR(Common Language Runtime) is for .NET applications.

Quote: "How do you go about getting Dark GDK.NET ? "

TGC have stopped selling it, because they are going to release it for free early next year, how cool is that?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 15:32
Ahh - Ok - Than "REgular" Windows Stuff applies (C/C++ - You just change the HWND info for a picture box to be what DarkGDK renders to -

A1 Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Using Win32 is easy enough, a bit long winded, but easy."

Yeah, it's definitely not hard, but there's quite a learning curve... Personally, I hate the Win32 API.

If you haven't played with the Windows Forms mechanism in VC++ E 2008, I highly recommend you give it a try (to all). It lets you build forms as you do in VB or C#.

Quote: "TGC have stopped selling it, because they are going to release it for free early next year, how cool is that? "

Very. I'll anxiously be awaiting the release.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 12:14
So how did you get the CLR stuff to work with a GDK project?

I followed the steps on MSDN, that tell you how to add CLR support to win32 apps, but all I got was an A4 sized error list.

A1 Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Basically... You can't.

I suppose you could build two separate apps but communication between the two would not be fun. I suppose you could use named pipes or something.

Honestly, I don't think it'd be worth the trouble. By the time you get it figured out, GDK.NET will be released, and you've wasted all that time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 18:18:18
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 18:18:18