Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Old PC = problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried installing VC++, DirectX SDK, and Dark GDK on my 9 year old computer. I think I should add it doesn't have a 5gb HDD anymore, I've replaced it with an 80gb HDD a while back, and I'm using about 4gigs of page file so I never run out of memory (being my 192mb of RAM). Here are all the problems I get when I try to debug the Dark GDK Game from the wizards.

I've checked and made sure I had the most recent version of DirectX so I could actually see the programs, but apparantly I already did.
Here's the code provided in the program:

If it helps any, here's the PC's specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2
Intel Pentium II processor
348 MHz, 192 MB of RAM
80gb Hard Drive

I think my graphics adapter (if that's what it's called, I don't remember at the moment) isn't capable of viewing something like this, considering it's 9 years old. Also, the computer is a Gateway
If I can't really make Dark GDK games using my old PC, that's fine, it's just unfortunate (since it's in my room; the newer computer, which actually is my mother's computer, runs Dark GDK and its games just fine). Thanks for reading, and if you think you can help, or if you know it isn't possible, please reply

New to Dark GDK, but it looks pwnage
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 17:24 Edited at: 12th Dec 2007 17:25
those are all DX errors. most likely the gpu doesnt support DX9. did this machine ever run DBP successfully?

I'm thinking no, or it hasnt been tried.
DX9 might install but it wont run direct 3d in 9, you can check this in dxdiag. If direct 3d is greyed out then youre out of luck

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 20:19
might be able to get a better vid card for it MAYBE....MAYBE cheap from a local computer store - that might have older stuff - kind of a gamble - can you get the drivers? etc...

Caleb
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "did this machine ever run DBP successfully?"

If you mean Dark Basic Pro, as in the code, then no, considering I've never used Dark Basic Pro before.

Quote: "DX9 might install but it wont run direct 3d in 9, you can check this in dxdiag"

Perhaps, what's dxdiag though?

Quote: "might be able to get a better vid card for it MAYBE....MAYBE cheap from a local computer store"

How old/new of a video card would be necessary to run it? Would any ol' card connect to my motherboard? What kind of prices am I looking at?

In any case, it looks like I'll most likely have to either (1) get a new video card that'll at least connect to my motherboard and be able to view DGDK products, or (2) tough it out and use my mother's newer PC. I'm thinking that it really isn't worth it; I should just use the other PC, since it would simplify everything until I can get a better PC for myself.

Mystic Trunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Well you should be able to max out (sort of)... with the 2D part of DarkGDK but as for 3D you won't be able to do much. Have you allowed Hardware acceleration in the DirectX SDK?

Caleb
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well you should be able to max out (sort of)... with the 2D part of DarkGDK"

I didn't say it in the first post, but I tried all the wizards, and got the same result. This is probably because it automatically creates a 3D environment, regardless of what you put in your game (such as sprites or background images).

Quote: "Have you allowed Hardware acceleration in the DirectX SDK?"

Um... no, I haven't even heard of this before - what is this exactly? How could I enable Hardware acceleration?

dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll bet it's your video card or DirectX setup. What I mean by "setup" is that you might have installed a wrong version of DX.

You'll need this one: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=529f03be-1339-48c4-bd5a-8506e5acf571&displaylang=en

You can check your version before downloading by clicking Start -> Run and typing in "dxdiag" (no quotes) and pressing enter.

Make sure your video card is DirectX 9 compliant. You'll need to refer to its manual for that information.

dbPrint ( "Sig" );
Caleb
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't have the manual for it anymore, and it probably can't, considering the video card itself came with the computer & moniter, which both came in a square box that looked like a cow... 9 years ago. Thanks anyways -- it just looks like I can't use my PC for Dark GDK without a new video card

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 22:04
if the port is AGP you can probably get a used card dirt cheap on ebay. I know an old fx5200 will run dbp and dx9

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 18:19:07
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 18:19:07