Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / FMTau Labs ... Important Information

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 08:26
Hey,
i will be posting this over at the FMTau forums as well but it is more likely to reach the people it conserns here more.
Over the past few days i've had a good few emails in my inbox about people wanting to develop for the nFinity and emailing me descriptions of thier games...

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT email me descriptions of your games... Screenshots, Overviews (nothing about design just a blurb), Genre, Demos that is what we are after to judge these titles.

If you send me anything that looks remotely like a design i will simply delete it right away, because it can legally make us liable if someone else makes a similar game - it is the whole deal with the posting ideas on forums. Although anyone who signs up to FMTau automatically agrees that any idea's and designs they post on there are that FMTau are not responsible if something similar ends up in anyone elses game neither are the other companies.
It isn't a get out of jail free card, but a recent incident with a friend company has made us decide that it is best to tighten the rules quite strickly this matter.

Quite frankly we don't want to be sued for something that isn't our fault, i mean someone sued (and won) again Legend Recently about the colour of the SpaceSuits used ingame... that is just how vunerable companies are right now.

This is why we're making sure that this fact is within the TOS of our site and also why i am saying right now if there is even a hint of design your entry will simply be deleted.

Thank you for your time.
Raven
I pride myself that i don't kill... http://members.lycos.co.uk/timesaga/gir.gif[/img]
well not without a good reason
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 21:49
I think I better go delete my post in your forums then, although it wasn't an idea, I just said I was gonna make a third person shooter.

Hmmm, I'll go check the forums right now.

http://www.geocities.com/yellow1dbp/index.html?1055790955556
Let me know if you want your site to have a link on my page.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 00:51
well deleting posts is upto you... i mean when you signed up you basically agreed that anything you post cannot contain any exclusive copyrights, so if someone wanted to use them in a game they can and you can't really say anything about it. I doubt that it won't be a problem but i'm just protecting everyone within the forum, if what you post is sensitive really it shouldn't be posted - but by making it public you release all rights you hold over it.

obviously this doesn't apply to concept shots you show with a copyright tag (that is provided the copyright is actually valid), same goes for code & media.

I pride myself that i don't kill...
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 11:13
Raven, move the UK for a while then you do not have to pay!

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 11:32
lol... yeah but not all the studios under FMTau's hood are UK based

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 11:49
lol

is it cheaper to fly to the UK or get copyright in the US?

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 13:13
hmm... $350 for a oneway on BA, $6,999 for a Copyright lol it's pretty close but i think the flight just about wins.

But then you've gotta take into account my accomidation, bills, blah blah lol
the issue isn't so much copyrights, its more a fact of protecting those who could potentically be attacked through this.

so far i've had like 8 idea's sent to me, not they're not mine and there is a good likelihood i'll never used any of them even remotely - but if i do even use say a name (even if i don't realise it) or any of our other companies do, and these people have a documented record of it - that makes me liable, no matter what country i'm in because these are international copyright laws.

basically by releasing a statement suchas this in a public and recognised place that means that legally FMTau nor one of its subsidies can be held accountable and a waver on the FMTau forum also says to that effect.
I mean this doesn't mean that if someone develops the next sonic and it is copywritten and one of the companies at FMTau nick it for themselves this agreement means they can, this just means that unless the design is actually legally a copyritten piece of work as a trademark or patented design we're not resposible for people using the ideas

its a bloody good ass cover, because just because right now FMTau is worth a grand total of $670,000 doesn't mean that in 6-12months time we won't be worth alot more and some small fish think they can make a nice mint from us ... as i said its kinda becomming a fad with so-called fans that they see something they suggested in a game then sueing and winning. To be honest the whole ethics behind that kinda thing makes me sick and kinda saddened that things are bad enough to warrent this, makes you wonder what ever happened to fans who just wanted to help ... alot of ideas i've wanted to give other companies now just arn't accepted because this is such a big thing now

the industry is just getting more and more about the money, less and less about the actual titles produced - we might not be able to completely change the rest of the industry but atleast at FMTau little money grubbers can stay outside because we're only about making great fun titles rather than making people rich for doing bugger all

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 13:27
you know that you should print out everything that is written on the forums and mail it to yourself.

And your little animal thing is dancing perfectly in time with Sean Paul on Radio 1, i may just sit here and laugh for a bit

haha, ok i am going

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 14:35
just think how funny it is for me... i have Kyle playing

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 08:55
*sings* Movin' to the country gonna eat alot of peaches.. peaches come from a can they were put there by a man in a factory down towwwwwwnnnn..*/sings*

wow he really does dance to anything

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Software Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dbsgroup/
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 16:54
woooooooo.. its been awhile since i heard that song..
gonna search in me old HD now

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 02:41:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 02:41:40