Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Text Adventure Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 07:17 Edited at: 16th Dec 2007 16:13
Hey,
I honestly don't think this will interest many people, but for the whole 2 that it does, I'll post it .

Some of you may remember Escape from Alendar, a text adventure project I was (and still am) working on. It's not dead, just sleeping . Anyways, I've decided to release the engine used to make it, because most all of it is scripted, allowing you to create your own custom text adventure using the same basic engine.

Here is a screenshot of the sample that comes with the demo:

The 2 people who actually spend the time to try it can post up their screenshots if they want . Here's the demo, a 10 page tutorial is included, and a MUST READ, hopefully detailed enough. I'm open to suggestions about the game or the tutorial, and am happy to answer any questions you may have . Demo attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 12:32
Quote: "It's not dead, just sleeping "

Ooh ooh, is that a Cthulhu reference?! I'a, I'a!

This is a pretty cool idea, Gil. I probably won't use it, though, since I already built my own engine for Duality with the text adventure competition.

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 15:05
Coolio, kind of had the inspiration to right my own text adventure - started making the text aspect of my engine, but might give yours a try and see how much better it is.

I love Nancy DrewG, but not insert brain here
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 15:11 Edited at: 16th Dec 2007 15:13
EDIT : Nevermind..

Footsteps W.I.P
Trala'em Goes Oblivion (TES IV Mod)
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 16:08 Edited at: 16th Dec 2007 16:14
Quote: "Ooh ooh, is that a Cthulhu reference?! I'a, I'a!"

Lol, nope, never even heard of "Cthulhu" .

Quote: "Coolio, kind of had the inspiration to right my own text adventure - started making the text aspect of my engine, but might give yours a try and see how much better it is."

Ok, cool, if you try it, let me know what you think .

I've added a screenshot to the top post as well as updated the download with a few minor fixes to the tutorial and game.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 17:10
Gil, I'm using my old crappy laptop, I've left my Desktop at my Uni flats and won't be returning until next month - this computer being old and all, I am not willing to install new software on it (for various reasons) software included WinRAR so may I ask you to upload a .zip as well. Cheers.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 17:12
Quote: "Gil, I'm using my old crappy laptop, I've left my Desktop at my Uni flats and won't be returning until next month - this computer being old and all, I am not willing to install new software on it (for various reasons) software included WinRAR so may I ask you to upload a .zip as well. Cheers."

Alright, will do, if I can figure out how . Do you know how to create a .zip if you have WinRAR installed? Also, don't know if this makes a difference, but winRAR's full download is only 1.1MB here http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar371.exe.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 17:14
Fairplay, I'll install the damn thing, instead of putting you through the trouble - I'm sure one small thing won't hurt. It's just I'm being very wary about what I download and install on this thing.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 17:16 Edited at: 16th Dec 2007 17:16
Quote: "Fairplay, I'll install the damn thing, instead of putting you through the trouble - I'm sure one small thing won't hurt. It's just I'm being very wary about what I download and install on this thing."

Heh, alright, great, thanks, I was just about to search around for how to create zips so you saved me some time . WinRAR is advantageous to have anyways because it can unzip zips, it compresses more than a .zip and compresses faster than a .zip. Let me know what you think of the engine. Like I said, it's a lot like programming, so hopefully you can get through the tutorial .

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 17:21
Yeah, I have WinRAR on my other computer I left at Uni, it's just I'm not fond of adding installations on this computer because it's a pain in the bum enough as it is, whoever installed Windows XP on this piece of junk was obviously having a laugh. Makes my desktop look divine.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 17:27
Quote: "Yeah, I have WinRAR on my other computer I left at Uni, it's just I'm not fond of adding installations on this computer because it's a pain in the bum enough as it is, whoever installed Windows XP on this piece of junk was obviously having a laugh. Makes my desktop look divine.
"

Lol, well fortunately this Engine should run fast anyways considering it's just text . Anyways, let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions to add to the game or scripting options .

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 17:40
I had a quick look at it - through the scripts weren't most convenient, possibly because I'm too used to my own system, I felt parts required you to know what meant what rather than something that explains itself, it could incidentally confuse the scripter using it.

I mean I used something as simple as line1 = "Bleh", placename = "Room" number_of_lines = 5 etc.

Good stuff, keep it up.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 18:53
Well, the tutorials start of simple, quickly soaring to the highest state of incomprehensibility, but after some testing - well, I like it! Had a few test runs yesterday evening and made a quick hall way where you got attacked and abused by a bisexual alien. Quite fun.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 22:16
Quote: "I had a quick look at it - through the scripts weren't most convenient, possibly because I'm too used to my own system, I felt parts required you to know what meant what rather than something that explains itself, it could incidentally confuse the scripter using it. "

Yeah, I know what you mean, I've thought about doing that, and may eventually add that . The only reason it's not in is because originally the system was just for personal use, so I didn't really need it .

Quote: "Well, the tutorials start of simple, quickly soaring to the highest state of incomprehensibility, but after some testing - well, I like it! Had a few test runs yesterday evening and made a quick hall way where you got attacked and abused by a bisexual alien. Quite fun."

Lol, yeah, tutorial can get confusing . And that's an interesting game that you created there .

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 08:19
@Gil
I still have my windows context menu item for "Send To->Compressed Zip Folder" on a right click even after installing WinAce and WinRar (in that order). Second, choose "Send to archive" in WinRar and you can select a .RAR or .ZIP archive.

Cheers,

-naota

Madness never stops..... It takes a breather every once in a while, but then it grabs it's inhaler and chases you down the street with a cane.
Aex.Uni forums

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:23:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:23:56