Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / rally game

Author
User Banned
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 10:03
i am completely new to darkbasic,i got it from my friend for bday and i would like to make a simple rally game:

-menu to select car and track
-simple driving game (going a little sideways when steering,rotating wheels but not needed to steer the front ones)
-time counting
-time and name saving

if you can help me somehow i will be very thankfull
and i dont need any modeling or texturing tutorials beacause i know that

Soldier of Fortune Episode 1
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 10:58 Edited at: 16th Dec 2007 10:59
a game like this isn't something you start off with. try something easier first. like Pong! and are you asking for the code for all those things? that is all you need for a simple rally game. it's like asking us to make a game for you!

thanks to deathead for the sig! please Click on it!
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Well try start with pong. But if you think you know a bit more to dark basic that we think you do. Go 3d Pong!. Also if you think you can, look at the just got db? wanna make an rpg tutorial. There is a section for making buttons for your menu there.

Good luck with DarkBasic

DarkDonkey
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 18:56
Quote: "menu to select car and track"

Look at the current programming challenge on the DB Classic board (Game menus).

There's also a tutorial on making in-game menus in my tutorial sticky on there.

(You might have DBPro, but DBC is DB V1 and is almost identical programming wise to DBPro. You'll find lots of beginners tutorials and useful programming info there).

It also pays to read all the stickies and use the search at the bottom of each page as often doing that will locate the info you are after much quicker than waiting for someone to answer your post - or flame you for being lazy!

TDK_Man

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 16:54
well so how do i download it? i didnt order it and i dont know how my friend got so can someone send it to me?
and can somebody kimme at least a tutorial for 3d pong?

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Try this.

Monster Hunt 3D Tutorials
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=t01/3d_tutorial_index

Tutorial: TDK's Programming Tutorials by TDK(Good for beginners)
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 17:26
well can anybody give me a tutorial how to make a simple driving game? i want to make a modern version of the game named Destruction Derby so i would like only this:

-driving and steering the car
-collision
-15 other cars around me

so can somebody help me?i cant find any such tutorial

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 17:39
You need to look at some game theory, such as article on Gamedev.net. Your "simple" driving game has some major issues to tackle...

Describing a track as data for the game to interpret
Monitoring the behaviour of a player for valid/invalid actions
Calculating driving lines, how to overtake, how to keep the other cars on the road, make them competitive but not unbeatable, able to challenge you and each other etc...

There's no such thing as a simple driving game!
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 18:05
then maybe a tutorial how to make tetris? i will make 3d tetris :d

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 21:44
If you are totally new to programming I would avoid writing 3D anything for now.

At first you should get used to what all the basic core commands do and how they work. Experiment with the string and 2D graphics commands first and write something in 2D.

Most of us suggest writing Hangman to learn strings and Pong to learn 2D graphics - for very good reasons. One of them is 'game logic'.

You need to be able to use the DB commands to write a game, but your program has to have a layout, AI, structure and flow which makes things happen at the right time.

Pong and Hangman have very simple or no graphics to deal with while you concentrate on the fundamentals. But, and it's a big but, what you learn writing them will not be lost as you will use that knowledge when writing 3D games later on.

For someone new to programming, making a 2D game in which a ball bounces off a couple of moving paddles - one under player control and the other controlled by the computer - complete with scoring and menu screen is incredibly difficult!

If you don't start the programming ladder at the bottom you will just eventually fail - or spend much longer getting there.

As mentioned previously, check out my tutorials thread on the DB Classic board and read the tutorials for complete novices - parts 1 to 4.

There are also tutorials on other beginners topics too. If I remember correctly, the one on game logic covers the game of Pong - if you get stuck.

Oh yes - Tetris... I think you would find the game logic in that would give you a rather large headache! Try Pong first.

TDK_Man

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 12:09
check these:

Newton Car Physics v2

Newton Car Physics

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
rabbit100
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 09:47 Edited at: 29th Jan 2008 12:09
Great article! We provide you 20% discount for all packages and services on our website during these days, and will provide more promotion. Besides,we also want to buy gold from you! Every server is OK. In the end, have you imagined that there is power leveling for free before?wow power leveling Now it happens on www.XXXXXXX.com 12 hours Free!!!
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 14:50
cucumber your upload is not possible to download

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 10:22:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 10:22:06