Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Tile Game Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 00:06
I've begun work on a game engine, specifically for old-school tile games. I have systems for basic tiles, entities, and gates. Levels are hard coded in a separate levels header file, and this brings me to my question. Were I to adapt it to use CSV map files, would anyone be interested modding this game? The main difficulty, as of now, is that the system uses two arrays, 'stacked' on top of each other. One is for tiles, the second for entities, so the CSV would have to have twice the information for the location of the arrays. I'll attach the source so you can see what I mean...Controls are simple. Arrow keys to move character (the green box), and space key to open gates. You need a pill to open a gate. Examine levels.h and you ought to be able to modify the levels. Feedback, and response to the ideas of a CSV over the header system I'm using now would be appreciated.

My site, for various stuff that I make.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 01:14 Edited at: 17th Dec 2007 01:17
Lookin' good so far! Unfortunately, I don't use CSV much, so I dunno lol.

I wanna beta test it once you get further in the game

EDIT: I found a bug: the gates open only if you hold spacebar- not if you press/tap it.

dbPrint ( "Sig" );
SunDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 01:56 Edited at: 17th Dec 2007 02:01
I know...in order to save some CPU power, the level and sprites are only refreshed when the arrows keys are pressed, which is at most 10 times a second (there's a time-limiter on the key presses, so you don't fly around the level at uncontrollable speeds).

The check for the spacebar is in the refreshing function, so it's only called when used in conjunction with an arrow key. I'll rework this, I think. But so that is checks which arrow key is pressed (as one must be) and thereby allow you to pick which gate to unlock should there be two right near by. Forward thinking!

EDIT:

That fixes it up, and it's much smoother. Now you push the key in the direction of the gate, and press space.

By the way, what do you think of the simply amazing menu? I meant for it to be rather simple, because I made it in literally one minute. I kind of like it though.

My site, for various stuff that I make.
dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
The code works like a charm!

The menu isn't bad, but it could be better. Maybe add some title screen graphics? An options menu to set speed of the character?

That'd be awesome.

dbPrint ( "Sig" );

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 18:24:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 18:24:38