Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Swapping to a GUI

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm writing a full screen "space" game in DarkGDK. I accept that there's no built in GUI for full-screen mode - how tricky would it be to close, minimize, or hide the full screen game when the user docks with a planet or space station, and then bring up a regular windows forms window that I design in the forms designer (I'm using VS 2k8 express c++)...how would I go about doing this? What would the code look like? Something like this?

How would I do this in DarkGDK? Is the above approach the correct approach to use? Should I do something differently? I kind of don't want to use CLR support, so ignore the part about the forms designer above ...how do I go about doing this? Thanks.

--aersixb9
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2007 19:29
I'd make two programs that work together - because everytime you do stuff like that you need to reload everything anyway.

Like - 1 Gui program - comes up - and reads your "inventory - etc" - does the whole space station thing - then you "Launch" ... Which "Fires up the game engine - reads your "inventory etc." and goes from there. Very clean in the fact that it will aw-jo-matically resolve memory leaks and other issues - that a game restart would clean up (not recommended sloppy work - just - you know...restarting an app can help it through a "feature" or two) And the good news is that jumping to a GUI app should be reasonable - going back on board ship might have a load waiting time of course though.

aersixb9
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, okay. Using a shared file is a good way to implement this. Thank you for the wonderful suggestion, jason p sage! I will get started implementing this immediately!

PS - Please fix my program's sideways acceleration vectors, posted about in the "a vector to the right of the camera" topic.

PPS - Here is your haiku:

jason p sage
you are really awesome dude
thank you very much

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 18:23:48
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 18:23:48