Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / "False Floor"

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 02:49 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 12:17
I remember in X9 this being easily doable by turning off collision in the .fpe. The general idea is that you have an entity that looks exactly like the ground before it, only that there's no collision to it so you simply fall through it. I planned to do this in my X10 level, but I've had a lot of trouble getting the idea off the ground, so to speak.

I've used the new poster system. Firstly, I'll say that there's a major error in this because I needed to improvise to get the sign even appear in-game; it would crash on test, claiming it couldn't find the poster object. I fixed this by making copies of the poster model and renaming them to fit the posters I was using, then copy the source image into the same folder and pointing the texture to there from the entity properties. Ridiculously arduous work for something that's meant to work first time round.

Anyway, after getting that to work, I hit an issue. While the "poster" would show up fine if the entity was static, making it dynamic for some reason removes the entity--or at least makes the texture transparent. I need the entity to be dynamic so that I can script it to not have collision, but then it won't show up. Quite a dilemma.

The second issue is that I can't simply tell it to not have any collision in the FPE, because the FPE is hiding itself in the posters folder. I cannot see it in Windows Explorer or directly opening it in Notepad, but I can see it if I'm looking for a texture directly in X10. This really, really doesn't help.

If anyone has the slightest idea for a solution, any input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Well, I fixed the problem. I copied another FPE and rewrote it with the media for the false floor. Then, I turned off collision and used a script that basically directed the floor to destroy itself (but leave its "corpse") so the player can flawlessly fall through it. If anyone else needs to do this, say so, and I'll put up a more detailed explanation with a script and FPE.

Now, I've reached another block in the road and figured I may as well post it here too. Basically, in the project I'm developing, "Health" isn't health in the traditional sense. As such, I need long falls to not affect the player by taking away health. This is, from what I can tell, not controlled in the global script, and as such I'm in the dark as to where I can change this.

More info soon!
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 14:22
I have false floors which you can fall through in my Model Pack 8 which are entities and use a simple but effective script.
I created the fall thru floors as custom entities in the Signs program.
Just thought I would mention this out of interest.

All the best of luck.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 15:34
Sounds like Signs isn't going to be replaced by this new poster feature anytime soon; especially if it's that much trouble getting it to do what you want.

-Keith

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 16:07
Definetely. Shame I lost my registration details for Signs IV when Thunderbird stole all my e-mails and somehow deleted itself .

More info soon!
Tochiro GE999
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 16:10
Quote: "Now, I've reached another block in the road and figured I may as well post it here too. Basically, in the project I'm developing, "Health" isn't health in the traditional sense. As such, I need long falls to not affect the player by taking away health. This is, from what I can tell, not controlled in the global script, and as such I'm in the dark as to where I can change this."

You can adjust the height at which falling starts to hurt the character by adjusting the properties on your start location entity. I forget what the exact name of the property is but it is in there.

Michael Rogers

Xsniper.net
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 13:51
Thank you infinitely, Tochiro!

More info soon!
Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 00:42