Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newbie with questions about freebasic dll usage

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello! I'm really new to darkbasic and after my 5th day of my trial I can say I'm just about hooked and I'm pretty sure Pro will make a nice Christmas present to myself. I would like to know if I can format a freebasic dll to work as a plug-in. Also, does using plug-ins include the whole .dll in my final .exe or only the machine code for each function needed? I suppose I'm asking if it's more like a static library or dynamic library that is compiled with the .exe...?

I started developing a 3d engine in freebasic only to find out that Darkbasic has what I was making and saves me probably a year in developing my game and my interactive CDs for my music. So all that time I spent with freebasic won't be lost if I can transfer it all over.

-
I've programmed in ASM,C,C++,Pascal...Ruby... but something about Basic syntax and structure speaks to me. Or maybe it's the looks I get when I tell people that I code in it...
Windsept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 15:28 Edited at: 24th Dec 2007 15:28
I am not sure about creating dlls with freebasic but you can make dlls with Pureplugin and PureBasic. The only problem is that the two are not free, which judging by the name of the language you have all of your code in now, is not what you want.

So just convert all of your code to C++ in Dev C++ and use Aaron Millers excellent Dll SDK to make your dlls for Dark Basic Professional.

Hope that helped!!

Windsept

MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 00:23 Edited at: 27th Dec 2007 07:40
Well, freebasic itself is just a GCC front end. I prefer freebasic syntax to C++ is all, just a quirk of mine. I don't have problems making .dlls with freebasic but how do I get them to work as plug-ins? I thought the plug-in dll was a way to expand the internal library without having to include a whole dll with the finished product.

I'm also looking for the darkbasic version of libraries. Where would I put header files for libraries I have written in darkbasic and plan to use for other programs via #include or similar?

...Actually, I may as well look into using DGDK. I don't hate C++ and the bonus performance will be needed in the future anyway.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 08:27:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 08:27:59