Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Gouraud Shading + Depth of Field??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 02:54
I'm wondering if gouraud shading will ever be added into the engine. If you don't know what it is, it's a shading effect that's been around since the Nintendo 64 was released, and used in that as well. It makes smooth shading on low-polygon objects on each vertex, so you won't be able to notice how "low-polygon" it is. FPSC and X10 both use flat shading on objects, so lighting wouldn't appear as smooth on it. It would be nice if the next update for X10 (and maybe X9) would have Gouraud shading in it.

Depth of Field was originally going to be added in, but then taken out due to various reasons. It is a feature that blurs out what the user is not focusing on, which could make a cool effect when sniping. This was the old video that showed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO8hPIh1Xtk&feature=related
I hope this gets added in sometime as well!

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 18:12
Depth of Field is a fantastic effect, looks great in unreal engine 3, so if fpsc dx10 could do that, it would really be something, id forgoten all about that video, interesting how it seems like its in the engine but not the release.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivita.com/
Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 18:25
Yeah, it is an amazing effect. I was playing Call of Duty 4 for my 360 yesterday, and was admiring it's nice DOF effect everytime I would try to aim with a gun. It would be even better if motion blur was supported as well to go with the DOF. Besides that, I'm happy with what features we get for X10 right now.

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 00:21 Edited at: 30th Dec 2007 00:22
Quote: "I'm wondering if gouraud shading will ever be added into the engine."

It already does this. The faceted shading your seeing is because of too-conservative settings for the lightmapper.

Try this: change a static entity into a dynamic one and see if it doesn't look a whole lot better. That's because dynamic entities don't use the lightmapper. Or, better yet, go into your setup.ini file and change lightmapquality to something higher than 10, I have mine set at 100, and it looks great. No more faceted shading. Just be sure you have a decent video card with plenty of memory because this does use more texture memory.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 02:04 Edited at: 30th Dec 2007 02:05
Wow, I had my lightmapquality set to 50 before I began experimenting. When I set it to 100, the game crashes, so then I set it to 99, and it works great! The dynamic entities look a lot better now. Thanks for saying this! I thought putting the quality over 50 would make the game crash.

Snipe to Success
I want to make scripts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 15:42
Maybe with the next update there will be depth of Field, better shading, and i hope even HDR and AGEIA Physx. It would be awsome, and it eould compete with the unreal3 and Cry engine

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:00:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:00:53