Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How to actually get started?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've downloaded the demo and really want to learn to program. I have a specific idea for a game but am deeply confused on how to start. I understand I need to learn basics first to advance but I still cant see the whole picture.

The end result for me would be to create a space command center in which I direct inbound and outbound vehicles what to do, using key commands and not actually controlling them with a mouse or joystick. I would like to have a 360 degree bitmap that tracks and rotates on each vehicle as they perform the tasks directed to them. Many people tell me to go and take programming courses at a local school, but I dont really have the time to go or the money to commit. It would be a dream to get online training on the fly using voice and video.

I have the game structure organized, I'm just not sure where to begin. If I have the 360 image or the 3D vehicles, will I find online help or resources to pursue this?

Thanks for reading!
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 22:08
I would have a look at some of TDKs tutorials, stickied at the to pof the DB section (I'm too much of a lazy sod to link, soz). He has some good info on many subjects.

Sudoku arts, the rabi and Nancy DrewG
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 22:54
And if you're new to programming in general consider buying the Hands-On Volumes. 2 Books which will come around 120 euro including shipping and covers a lot of stuff in managable chunks.

Its an utopia to think that you can make anything without learning and practising. This goes for almost everything and also (if not especially) for programming.
Believe me, you won't get anything near what you envision if you just fool around and read a few tutorials.
I've been there...

Yskonyn - (Ploughing through Hands On DBP Programming Vol. 1)
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
Eevil Weevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 21:34
If you want to make the game, you need to ignore the graphics, for the moment, then you can add them in. So at the moment, you shoud use text .

Impossible? Anything is impossible. 48'6F'77'20'64'61'72'65'20'79'6F'75'20'77'6F'72'6B'20'6F'75'74'20'6D'79'20'73'69'67'21

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 01:04
Garzu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 09:53
Quote: "If you want to make the game, you need to ignore the graphics, for the moment, then you can add them in. So at the moment, you shoud use text .
"

I sort of disagree here, he should use plain or coloured 3d boxes. it is a 3d game after all.

Finished Projects : Spellmaker (Old Boardgame)
Current Project : PBeM helper for Twilight Imperium III(Boardgame)
yes.... I Like Boardgames!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 10:22:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 10:22:42