Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Your final product

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

So I was wondering if anyone here actually completed a game and has sold it to make a profit. If so how much did you make? (Exacte amount not needed just round off....)

I'm kinda carious and also if it offends anyone I apologize.

Thanks.
wind27382
Years of Service
User Offline
I think most people around here do it for the love

wind
Panabolic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 16:10
You should check the Program Announcements forum. I also know that Start Wraith 3D games continues to make a line of good Space Sims.

I have purchased two of them and play them off and on. The developer(Shawn?)has also made a few of the older releases freeware. As a plus he is/was very active in the forums.

http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/go.htm

~insert whitty comment here~
PresFox
Years of Service
User Offline
noone got rich, if that is what your after

Microsoft isnt evil, they just make really crappy operating systems -- Linus torvalds
CoTang
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah that what I was wondering if anyone got rich or at least made some decent coin. I'm doing this as a side hobby but I would like it to also pay off a bit too. Maybe enough to cover the cost of future tools at least.
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
I personally buy game dev software I have no intention on using simply to support the dev team. Like Delgine's Dele-D. I have the pro version, but for the life of me I should get 3D World Studio simply for ease of use.

The point of making games even as a hobby isn't to make money. The sooner that is realized the better. The point is to express your idea to the world. Money will come to you naturally so long as you participate in the world, and abundance will come when you learn to serve others.

This may sound like a spiritual philosophy, but you can apply it directly by the simple power of giving. I frequently spend a dollar (I work in a grocery store) and get marshmallows for the cappaccino machine at work. My 10 minutes spent earning that dollar now supply 100 people with 10 minutes of enjoyment on their drink.

Humans have a real power, and that power is giving, and it is demonstrable. Live with this mindset and you will never have to worry much about money, even for hobbies.

later

LLRGT omglol
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 13:40
You more than likely wont make a game that will sell for $40 (US) a pop. The reason isn't because the software can't, but that the resources required for a project that size would require a team and expectations get very high at that price point. You would have to stretch DBP to get every ounce of power and speed out of it.

But game that sell for the $10 to $20 range are doable by individuals and small teams using software like DBP. Now most of what you make may not be of a sales quality for a while, but make forgreat learning experiences. Don't aim for the next Unreal Tournament killer. Be realistic, and learn the language and system inside and out. You can make some money with it.

Making nothing for the forth straight year; or is it five years now?

CoTang
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I've been programming for years, and I learn QBASIC on my own on my 486-66Mhz computer where I made an Text Base RPG. Thinking about it, that the first time I ever made a game and thinking about it some more, I actually spent like 1 to 2 hours a day up to 24 hour total to create my simple game. I'm not striving to make the next ultra unreal tournament killer or any other games like that. I know what it takes to make those games. My original question was that has anyone made money off their game? Being 5 bucks a pop did you in the end manage to get like 1000 people to buy your game? Its a big world and having at least 1000 people buy your game you'll make 5000 bucks. And thats a lot of money for some people. Especially for me since that like 5000 boxes of mac and cheese!!
Nera
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I think WindowsKiller hit the nail on the head there. When it comes to small time games development, I think it comes down to making something addictive. It doesnt need to compete graphically with the best out there...and let's face it, it probably wont, becuase those games cost ALOT of money to make for a reason.
But make something people can't stop playing, and you've found yourself a winner there.

~Mad Cow Development

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 08:19:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 08:19:54