Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / questions from a new guy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
Im new here....
Well I have been on this site before but I never decided to post or anything...
I have always been into programming and creating games.
I made a little rpg game with some software once, but it was no way near 3D.

I have always wanted to get into the core of gaming and to create a really good game. a proffesional game. I taught myself a bit about programming and now im in college learning java...
its boring and were making stupid little programs that do nothing...

I want to speed up my knowledge and learn to create sophisticated games but I dont know where to turn.
I went through a lot of phases so far... grephics designing with gimp... I tried modeling with blender once... and I made a small game with I think it was called rpg maker or somethin....

Anyhow I need a point in the right direction...
Also I have a quick question. A book is made by one author but a game- at the end you have like 50 credits, does that mean a good game cannot be made by one person?
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 00:33
You can start here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=115633&b=7
with some tutorials .

Quote: "Also I have a quick question. A book is made by one author but a game- at the end you have like 50 credits, does that mean a good game cannot be made by one person?"

What it means is that the games you see in stores (professional quality) are made by large teams of professional developers over several years.

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 01:42
I have been fooling around with DB Pro off and on since the start at 2002. I was always downloading some tutorial or sourcecode to disect, but never really got into programming in DBP.
When I was a child me and my buddy fooled around in Quick BASIC and managed to build some nice and simple text adventures with graphics comprised of ASCII characters. Other than that we never got any further.
That is, until I bought the Hands-On volumes, available on this website. Very well written books which lead you along your first steps in DBP programming.
If you want to kickstart your learning and have no real experience to speak of, I would recommend these books!

Other than that, download tutorials, browse these forums and make sure you have fun!
Welcome!

Yskonyn - (Ploughing through Hands On DBP Programming Vol. 1)
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
shamguy4
Years of Service
User Offline
Wait so.. have any professional games come out from Dark basic?
where do you start if you want to become a professional?
Are there any teams of people here in this forum working on a game together?

Sorry for all the questions but I dont want to just continue downloading beginner programs that just allow you to use there parameters and not go beyond or game engines that just let you do basic stuff...
I want to make sure before I get it that I will actually gain something out of it...
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 18:15
Quote: "Wait so.. have any professional games come out from Dark basic?"

Mhm, I think so. Though it depends on what you call "professional".

This is what I find the most professional one till now:
Newsletter issue 36
Check the article Tom Yum Goong.

Quote: "where do you start if you want to become a professional?"

At the bottom ofcourse. You first start gathering information, experience etc. But I have to admit that DBP is actually more suited for hobby purposes instead of professional game creation.
Usually, even pong could be quite the challenge for people that just started, let alone pong in 3D.

Quote: "Are there any teams of people here in this forum working on a game together?"

I think so. You often see people with banners of their team. Even though not professional.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 20:31
Quote: "DBP is actually more suited for hobby purposes instead of professional game creation."

I don't think this is entirely true. With DBP you can create games of professional quality, although you may have to alter your view on what 'professional' actually is.

I think many people don't realise that most of the games we buy in our gameshop (especially those by big publishers like EA, Eidos, etc) are multi-thousand dollar projects with huge teams comprising of programmers, artists, scenario writers, etc, etc.
Most (if not all) people using DBP don't fit into this description, but that doesn't mean that the potential of DBP is any less. Especially with the Physics engine, Shaders and GDK, DarkBASIC has far reaching possibilities.

Of course if you think that you only have a 'professional quality' game if its as polished or sleek as a game from the big companies, the no, DBP won't let you make professional quality games, but I do also believe that you won't be able to let DBP create a professional quality game. If you know what I mean.

But what's important in the end? Have fun! No matter how you look at DBP or what you aim to achieve!

(Ploughing through Hands On DBP Programming Vol. 1)
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
Of course if you think that you only have a 'professional quality' game if its as polished or sleek as a game from the big companies, the no, DBP won't let you make professional quality games
"

I dont know... I seen some pretty professional looking things that come outta dbpro. Im no expert, but im pretty sure dbpro as A LOT of potential for professional looking games.
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 14:27
Quote: "shamguy4
Also I have a quick question. A book is made by one author but a game- at the end you have like 50 credits, does that mean a good game cannot be made by one person?"

A good game can be made by one person. The question is how much time are you willing to put in to produce your game. Users here have turned out playable, but simple, games in a day to a week. Some of these games are fun, but you can tell that they are quick efforts.

Other users have spent months on games and turned out projects that were visually nice and have deeper game play. These were by users that have most of the skills needed to produce a professional level game, but do it for a hobby.

Quote: "Sven B
I have to admit that DBP is actually more suited for hobby purposes instead of professional game creation.

Yskonyn
I don't think this is entirely true. With DBP you can create games of professional quality, although you may have to alter your view on what 'professional' actually is"

I think if you are real good at all the required skills required to make a game; the game will be impressive, and professional looking. But you have to be good at

1) Programming

2) 3-D modeling

3) Texture Making

4) World or Level design

5) Artificial Intelligence design For a single player experience.

6) Animating of 3-D Models.

These skills are usually handled by teams of paid professionals in software development. Keeping a team of unpaid volunteers together is a challenge if you don't all have the same vision and dream.

DarkBasic makes game making easier, but you still must create your program. The good news is that you can buy or find free models. You can find free textures online. There are many free world builders on this forum as well as some very nice, low cost commercial world builders. TCG offers an animation programs for the humans in a game. as well as some low cost commercial applications. You can produce your game, and it can be good.

A professional game does not have to be written in C++ with a lot of in line assembly code to be professional. You just have to design a good looking, fun to play, unique experience for the customer to enjoy. Every item listed above is a resource and you don't want to waste resources unnecessarily.

Quote: "Yskonyn
I think many people don't realise that most of the games we buy in our gameshop (especially those by big publishers like EA, Eidos, etc) are multi-thousand dollar projects with huge teams comprising of programmers, artists, scenario writers, etc, etc."

Actually I think the budgets reach into the Hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think that some games now days that are expected to sell huge numbers may spend a million or more to expedite the release, but I don't know that for a fact.

Quote: "Yskonyn
but that doesn't mean that the potential of DBP is any less. Especially with the Physics engine, Shaders and GDK, DarkBASIC has far reaching possibilities.
"

Yskonyn is right about what is available to stretch the boundaries of DarkBasic Pro. Not to mention the DLL's that some members have freely shared to speed up areas of DBP or add functionality that was not included.

The good news is that if you show a passion and desire to produce your design. Produce the code and make your models and world. Have something to show the community that you have that passion to complete your project and that it is good. Someone will generally offer some help. Someone that can model a little better may offer some models. Someone who makes awesome textures may offer to fix a textures to make them even better. Someone may offer a suggestion to make your code smother. But they want to see you care enough first to take the project to the finish line.

Making nothing for the forth straight year; or is it five years now?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 10:36:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 10:36:16