Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / alpha trouble

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 02:13
For the life of me, I can't figure out the seemingly simple task of creating a simple alpha channel for a PNG image. Am I safe in assuming that the problem is not in the image itself if I can see that 'checkerboard pattern' in PSP; that I can then assume i'm doing something wrong in the way I load the image into DBPro?

I'm dying over here - I will personally buy anyone who can help make this work a 2008 Ford Mustang convertible...
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
lol. There is a trick with the alpha command, if I remember correctly. Like 0 is black but -1 is the color I was using or ... crap I forgot. You might just wanna use a bmp and paint the background black. I believe you can use RGB(0,0,0) instead of 0 for black when setting the color.

Or I'm helping with an incorrect question and you asked something different... keep trying

LLRGT omglol
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 09:28 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2008 09:28
as long as you load the png with the texture flag 1, the alpha is retained. ie,

load image "name.png",10,1

and, this is assuming you saved the png file correctly in the first place

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Foz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 03:20
I tried using the texture flag - still nothing. The process of creating a PNG with a transparent backgound is pretty straight forward, I doubt I screwed that up. I also can't get the 'set image colorkey' command to work - it turns the background black, wich worked for a while, but then you can't paste images on top of each other. Anyone else having these problems?...
Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 03:45
How about if you post the picture (or any other done by yourself), and someone here might try to type some code to make it work?

Further on my stuff at...
TurboSquid.com
The3dStudio.com
Rain Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 06:42 Edited at: 4th Jan 2008 07:11
What are you trying to do with the image? If you're using it to texture an object, you could try set object transparency.

Ten minutes to Wapner.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 13:12 Edited at: 4th Jan 2008 13:17
Quote: "
and, this is assuming you saved the png file correctly in the first place
"

i thought it was worth mentioning because i used to use the PNG Optimizer to save my png files in paint shop pro (having the button on the toolbar was too handy ), and i had terrible luck remembering to save it correctly (used to forget to check that the color and transparency settings were set...), so i just use the "save as" png type now so i don't make the mistake(s) that i used to when doing graphics for dbpro. anyway, since then i never had a problem with png and alpha <shrugs>

Virtual Nomad
Foz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 04:36
I'd just like to put 2 cubes together, each painted in a 2D isometric view, so that they would look like a single, elongated cube. This obviously can't be done if the corners of the image were visisble. I know there's plenty of other ways to do this in 3D, but I have reasons to keep it simple, for now. Besides, this should be the easiest thing to do - it's almost straight out of a begginer's DBPro book. The following displays the files fine, but no matter how I tinker with the image, the corners outside the cubes are still solid white. Can 'paste image' not be used for images with transparency?

load image "image.png", 1
paste image 1, x, y
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 06:58 Edited at: 5th Jan 2008 07:05

image below should show obvious alpha. if you're not seeing it, it's something with your system. download the file and test with the above code.

Virtual Nomad

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Foz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 03:35
The next round's on me - it finally worked...

I took your image into PSPro and looked for any discrepancies I could find with mine; found an extra layer that didn't belong which must of been added when I created the mask - lesson learned.

What color would you like your Mustang?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 05:00 Edited at: 6th Jan 2008 05:00
glad you got it sorted out. me and png files have a long history of turmoil together (i still have yet to do real research on the format, so the saga will continue...). bottom line: i feel/felt your anguish.

ah, and, black should be fine. since you live in california as well, it shouldn't be too hard to deliver. i'm in the SF bay area; how long of a drive will you be looking at?

Virtual Nomad
Foz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 03:40
I'm just over in Sacramento, so given average traffic conditions - no more than 11 hours...

Foz, I am.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 10:21:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 10:21:49