Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Audio Pack Team brainstorming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 18:58 Edited at: 12th Jan 2008 13:05
So far Panabolic, Lucifer, Profit, Grandma, Torsten Sorensen, blobby 101, and Agent Joe have signed up to participate in making a monthly music and sound pack for TGC Forum members.

If anyone else is interested please add you name to the thread. Also please sign up for the MSN Group at: http://groups.msn.com/TGCAudioPackTeam/homepage

I'm hoping we can move the bulk of our non-TGC message traffic over there.

UPDATED 1/12/2008

------------
It's on
Discussion has begun on the first theme in MSN Group. We still have some final format decisions to make, but it should happen quickly.
------------

I have combined suggestions from the group feedback so far.

What should we call the music pack?

Three name suggestions so far:

TGC Forum Members Audio Pack
Community Audio Pack: MonthNameHere
TGC Community Audio Pack: MonthNameHere

What do you think the content should be each month?

Combining the ideas so far, it seems we should produce a monthly theme-pack based on game genre because it gives the most flexibility to artists. Often multiple genres of audio will fit.

Each member should contribute no less than 1 piece of audio. That audio could be a song, sound effect or soundscape. However a member could contribute more if they desire.

What should be our preferred file format ?

For audio files 30 seconds of less, WAV format is preferred.
For longer pieces 256k 44k/Stereo format MP3 is preferred.

What about distribution?

If the pack fits in 50 MB or less, we can post it here. If it's greater we can post in chunks. Or, if need be we can find an alternate hosting source.

What about quality control?

To keep things fair and fun, each month we will appoint someone as producer for the monthly pack. The selection process and that persons responsibilites are yet to be determined by the group.

Team meetings

Lucifer has suggested a weekly meeting via MSN, I'm not that familiar with how to do it so maybe Lucifer could spearhead that.

What other things do you all think need to be addressed before me move forward with the first pack?

Thanks for your feedback.

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 20:11
I'm interested in joining! I think every month or so we should compose for a different genre of game. I've noticed that on the forum we don't really have a large selection of different types of music. I know that some people may be limited in their software, sounds, etc., but maybe those with better software can help those out that don't have them. What I'm saying is that those who are limited with their software can send their "midi" file to someone who has the better software and sounds. That way nobody has to worry about their sound library being crappy or anything. The person who writes the midi file will be listed as the artist and composer, kinda of like they do with movie soundtracks. We want this to be the best it can be... but in order to do this we must help each other out as much as possible. Also, I think mp3 would probably be the best format for the final tracks.
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 21:36 Edited at: 5th Jan 2008 21:42
Quote: "What should be our preferred file format ?"

.wav for sound effects ( 1 - 10 sec ) .mp3 for songs

Quote: "What about distribution?"

i suggest, you add everyone willing to participate onto msn, then once every week, at a certain time we can have an msn meeting discussing progress of each pack and what to do next and stuff. what do you think?

Free music @ www.Soundclick.com\Peacemaker
Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys can come up with

DaZ

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 03:50
wow, sounds cool...

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 18:10
Great! For the name we could simply call it "Community Audio Pack: [name of month]" or something similar, but "TGC Forum Members Audio Pack" will do too.

Quote: "What do you think the content should be each month?"

Atleast one track per member who's joined the project and optional number of SFX each? As for the theme, instead of going by genre, maybe we could have a bit more freedom by having one "ambient/slow pack" One "fast pack" one "chaotic" and "orchestral". Things like that? I dunno. Whatever people feel like is fine with me. Unless it involves clowns, in which case im out.

What about distribution?
Yeah....distribution.... I dunno. It would be annoying to upload everything to this forum individually. More efficient too have everything in a zip/rar file from the start. For that to work we need to be in contact outside the forum and we could appoint a dictator for each month as suggested.

Quote: "What other things do you all think need to be addressed before me move forward with the first pack?"

The sound effects. That area is a bit blurry still. They are 100% optional? A limit to how many each person can include? A total size limit maybe? Do the SFX have to have any connections with the theme of the pack? etc.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Panabolic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 16:25
Hey all, sorry I was busier thant expected over the weekend.

I see lots of great suggestions so far and as soon as my lunch hour gets here I'll work on a more complete response. I'll also work up some plans and such to at least get us goin'.

I'm even glad to take the ship out of dry dock and get things setup, everyone cool with that?

~insert whitty comment here~
Panabolic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 03:36 Edited at: 8th Jan 2008 04:08
I update the initial post with a summary of suggesitons so far.

More than one person mentioned an off-this-site place to coordinate and talk shop. Since I see more MSN logos than anything else, I setup an MSNGroup for us:

http://groups.msn.com/TGCAudioPackTeam/homepage

Additonally, we can use our SkyDrives to share files. Not necesarily the best solution, but certanly and all-in-one and no cost solution.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 04:10
I joined the group.

common people are walking in line.
Panabolic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 04:19
Welcome to the group, I haven't managed an MSN group before so this should be interesting

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:42:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:42:26