Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / vector position

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Any idea why the camera supports describing the position with a vector but positioning an object won't take a vector?

dbPositionCamera syntax:
void dbPositionCamera ( float fX, float fY, float fZ )
void dbPositionCamera ( int iCamera, float fX, float fY, float fZ )
void dbPositionCamera ( int iCamera, int iVector )

dbPositionObject syntax:
void dbPositionObject ( int iObject, float fX, float fY, float fZ )

I've grown tired of remembering what number an object is, so I used enum to give the numbering a little more meaning.

enum { zilch, A, B, C};
dbMakeVector3(A);
dbSetVector3(A, 10,20,30);
dbMakeObjectSphere(A,20);
dbPositionObject(A,A); // wish this would work
dbPositionObject(A,10,20,30); // works
dbPositionObject (A,dbXVector3(A),dbYVector3(A),dbZVector3(A) // would also work, but is ugly
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 09:49
Quote: "Any idea why the camera supports describing the position with a vector but positioning an object won't take a vector?"

Because GDK is amazingly crappy I have never seen a library where you need to call a global function to get a member of a structure (like dbXVector3()) And indexing everything including vectors ?? Uaaaah
Slow Target
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll reserve passing judgement. I'm pretty happy for my level of investment ($19 for EZRotate). There's a lot of functionality in the GDK, but I find some of it doesn't seem consistant (so I can't guess, I keep having to look it up). My gut tells me that it was written with a different purpose in mind, so I'm just trying to understand and go with the flow.

I can see the advantage of the indexing with some loops to crank through the indexes to make things happen.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 15:51:31
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 15:51:31