Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / i-tunes in games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 05:34
is it legal to put songs i bought on i-tunes in my games?

Because i gots more badges then you...
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 05:49
i dont think its iilegal, but i think it is if you sell em or give em to some one else. which totally bleeps.

This is my WIP, not even ready for a WIP thread yet though.http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 18:11 Edited at: 14th Jan 2008 18:13
You'd probably have to get permission from the musician / group / studio / agent and/or pay royaltys before you have the right to distribute their music.

You're effectively making the music as accesable as using limewire. Which the creators wont like
Panabolic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 21:22
Yes, it is illegal.

Your iTunes/Napster/Rhapsody/Tape/CD/Album license basically allows you to use the copy for your own personal use.

You can of course arrange a separate license agreement with the publisher or artist/composer rep group suck as ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SOUNDEXCHANGE etc. In those cases you will probably have to pay a flat fee or per copy royalty for each game copy you release.

Will you get caught? Probably not. Will you get sued? Probably not. Look at all the IP and Copyright violaions on YouTube MySpace etc.

If you do and get caught, be preapared to pay out a settlement to RIAA or be willing to go to court and spend thousands on a lawyer.

Your best bet?

Go with Royalty Free music like Daz and others offer or use Creative Commons released tracks (podsafeaudio.com is one place) that you can use for a low flat fee or no cost at all like stuff I create.

A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 02:15
ok, just wanted to make shure. found a realy good song that would go well with the game. oh well.

Because i gots more badges then you...
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 06:21
check out some unsigned bands, if you find one you like I'm sure they'd love to be in a game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 09:58:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 09:58:31