Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / PIXEL PERFECT - Any chance you'll get DarkGDKODE to compile with DarkGDK FRee?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 04:25
I tried to get it working and no go - want to see that demo and check out what the DarkGDK ODE file will do with ODE etc.

Thanx in advance!

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 09:28
Hi Jason. I'm pretty sure its working ok with my installation of 2008, although I haven't used it for a while as I've been working on other things of late! I'm at work just now so I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work with 2008, it's probably down to configuration settings again. I would use the release version of the library though, seeing how we are being forced to run with a release version of GDK!

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 12:27
Hmm...ok tried - that - I'll try again. Thanx for responding!

Thanx for offering to maybe look into it.

P.S. I can compile and debug OR use Release setup for DarkGDK... just can't step through GDK code. Hmm. I've heard that we couldn't... lot's o learning and figuring going on.

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 13:12
Yep, we have limited debug capability with our current setup, but seeing that the compiler runtime option has to be set for /MT the code is linked with the release C++ run time libraries and not the debug. My provided debug library was built using the /MTd option and will include symbols only found in the C++ runtime debug libraries. Trying to mix and match in this way causes the typical symbol not found linker errors!

I produced the libraries back in the days when TGC provided both release and debug versions of GDK, which in my opinion they should still be doing!

Did you follow the configuration instructions I provided Jason?

If you want to give me some detail of the errors you're getting it would probably help.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 16:22
Sure.

DarkODEGDK.h is in my Project Folder.
DarkODEDemp.cpp is in my Project Folder. Working DarkGDK "Wizard" Main.cpp replaced with this file.

DarkGDKODE.lib is in "C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Lib\vs9\DarkGDKODE.lib"
Project->Linker->Input Setting has entry pointing DIRECTLY to it (Even though it prob doesn't need it as all the DarkGDK libs "just seem" to work. But I added the entry for good measure.

Errors:

Now I thought your *.lib file DarkGDKODE.lib was self contained but my gut said "maybe not" when I saw the linker error messages. So I'm downloanding Win32 ODE Release 0.8??? to match what you compiled against....

... and the result.... is:

So.. I opened the Memory.h include file and it had the line:

which I changed to

and the results:

Which turned out to be a wrong line in projects->linker->input:

But THEN I got:

And decided sending this post was something maybe I should do.
Seriously, I appreciate your responses. Please pardon a slight deviation from seriousness to follow...

please forgive the following side note of humour for TempIceP - the linker error king
(TempIceP) Will yell at me (rightfully) for using full paths... but I'm ok with that - I'll find something to yell at him about ... even if I have make something up

tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 16:46
You @%Q$%^@##$@@%Q#%@! You messed it all up again. How you dare using absolute paths!

----

And, well, those three unresolved externals (CrtDbgReport) are because you build/link against wrong version of C runtime (we see this pretty often, don't we ).
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 18:08
Just got home and have opened my Game Engine project and I can confirm my DarkGdkODE lib is working in VC++ 2008.

By the way, following your remarks above, you don't need the ODE lib or source code as it is all encapsulated in my lib. Adding this will make matters worse as I had to make changes to this to get it to build in the first place.

I'm just about to have my dinner but will look at this in more detail afterwards. I'll get back to you Jason!

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 19:36
@ PixelPerfect - Thanks!

@TempIceP - - well- I'm using the Wizard made "Project" .. In fact - that's my MO - I make a Wizard App - run it - see the spining oblong spheres, then add my code and just "Remove" (gently) the main.cpp file, and add my new one.

It's very possible the RELEASE version isn't configured the same way... I know I had to add my dependancies. Hmm. You said we see this alot - should I read your whole linker how to to get by this or is this a funky DarkGDK issue?

Ok - Well Gentleman, the FIRST THING I'm going to do is demote and delete all the ODE "stuff" not related to PixelPerfect "DarkGDKODE" (Its Archived so its ok) and make Sure I'm as close to what PixelPerfect tells me and what he has written so far.

I May Also just put SPARKY and DarkGDODE physics in with the DarkGDK "includes" and "Libs" as this seems reasonable to me. I'll adjust DEBUG and RELEASE project "Settings" (General input and Linker Input) to make sure my t's crossed etc before Pixel Perfect comesback on.

My Goal is to give ODE a fair Shot. If it works well, I might implement DarkGDKODE as is. If I out grow it, I may 1: Ask for the Source" or 2: Ask a lot of question on how to write my own DarkGDK interface concerning "TriMeshses" and other words I'm not understanding fully - like Quaterion.

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 19:36
ok ... here goes:

I just created a brand new Dark GDK - 3D Game project using the wizard.

Deleted the default main.cpp file.

Copied the following files from DarkGdkODE_build_1-1.zip folder:

DarkGdkOde.h
DarkGdkOde.lib
Demo.cpp

to the project directory.

Added the Demo.cpp file to the Source Files folder in the project.

Selected Release build from the project build dropdown.

Right Clicked on the Project Name, in the Solution Explorer panel, and choose Properties.

Checked the configuration was set for release.

Updated all of the properties extactly as detailed in my DarkGdkODE Release 1.1 documentation.txt included with the release. i.e section 'Compiler and Linker Settings' making sure I used the 'Release Build' settings.

Saved the config changes and compiled demo.cpp It compiled with 0 errors or warnings.

Built the project. It built with 0 errors or warnings.

Executed the program It runs fine!

I have spent nearly an hour trying to reproduce your error and can only do so if I substitute the debug library reference for the release library reference in the Linker/Input/Additional Dependancies setting. i.e. I put DarkGdkODE_debug.lib rather than DarkGdkODE.lib. Which would mean you were trying to link in the debug library with the release runtime!!!

I'd check that first.

By the way, when you do get it up and running, press the spacebar on the demo to roll the ball (takes a couple of seconds to roll) then spacebar again to reset it. Esc exits the program, though it can take a little time! Beware, I converted the demo from DBPro to C++ in a real hurry and it might a bit leaky memory wise!

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 19:52
Just saw your previous post Jason:

Quote: "My Goal is to give ODE a fair Shot. If it works well, I might implement DarkGDKODE as is."

I would not advocate using DarkGdkODE in any serious game engine as I believe the underlying code is just too buggy and the polygon collision stuff just doesn't seem to work properly. It's fun to play with but I'm waiting for DarkPhysics myself. I don't think its an ODE problem, just the way the plugin was implemented. It was a valient attempt but could have done with some more attention to iron out the bugs. I mainly built the libs so we could have some physics to play with in the interim period.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 20:11
Ok - Will Heed Warning - Waiting impatiently for DarkPhysics Myself - and On VACA this week - so GRRRRRRR to not having it!

Note
Quote: "DarkGdkODE_build_1-1.zip"

I don't have that. That is probably the problem. I have: darkgdkode_build_1.0

But I'm going to move on now heeding your advice. I read ODE docs a bit, checked out the source...and was like...hmmm... "THIS SUCKS!" Nothing to do with ODE - in fact it is more readble than other's I've looked at. I'm going to PLAY with ONE MORE physics engine I have complete source to - and its made "completely independant" of Graphics engine and is small - VERY Small.

I should probably search for the Build you mention 1-1 of this DarkODE thing though. Thanx for looking into it - I really appreciate it! I also appreciate the warning and I listen to info like that! (Just not reletive paths )

(I hope he (TempIceP)knows I'm just kidding (he does I know it! I can feel it! Plus he took a stab at my linker error in jest because I've probably seen the same posts he has resolved for it!) because he nailed me on a practice I do unless in linux out of habit.... oh and web pages... otherwise - its cut-n-paste from address bar )

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 20:33
Yeah, release 1.0 only contained a debug library. The second release is a few posts down from the first on the same thread and contains both libs and updated documentation.

It works well as a simple physics engine with simple collision(sphere's and cylinders etc) and does support four wheeled vechicle physics simulations, although I've never tried that. But the polygon collision is definitely hit and miss.

TGC released it out into the big world totally unsupported, so there was never any come back! If I knew ODE in depth I'd have a go at fixing it but I really don't have the time to learn all that with everything else that I'm doing.

It seems to me the sensible thing is to wait for Dark Physics which is probably going to do everything I need a physics engine to do with an easier interface than the raw Ageia PhysX API which, of course, we could all interface into now if we wanted!

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 20:40
p.s. I have a lot of time for tempicek, a very knowledgeable guy and yes ... I'm sure he knows you're kidding

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 20:57
I agree on all counts... Yes... That tempicep knows his stuff... he defaintely is very knowledgable and is a mainstay in the DarkGDK forum!

J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Pixel Perfect
Can I just say thanks for the ODE lib for DarkGDK.
I have been having great fun using it trying to get
it working with multi-threads it really gave me some fun over Christams holidays. I could not work out how to use the collision detection so I am using sparky for collision and ODE for physics.
Just tinkering about with your block wall demo...many thanks..
hope you get it working jason...
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 21:43 Edited at: 15th Jan 2008 21:43

It seems like you would need something from me, jason
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 22:08
hahhah - naw - just showing appreciation - not sucking up - you're one of the few who actually knows DirectX - and can steer us (not blindly) when we ponder "new ground" - that is cool... But I want to hear you say it.... DarkGDK is Cool! Cmon... you know you like it... you just hit barriers you're not used to!

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 21:03
Hi J_C, glad you've found it usefull. The collision normally works really well so I'm a little surprised you didn't get that working but Sparkys is second to none anyhow! Thanks for the feedback.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 06:29:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 06:29:53