Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Starstrike, a 2D RTS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 07:49 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2008 14:02
Hi all,

I'd like to showcase my latest work in progress. It is a 2D sprite-and-tile based real time strategy game in the flavour of Starcraft. Total build time so far is about six months with a three man team, and the project is at this time around 80% complete.

The website contains screenshots, information about the game, a download link from which you can playtest the latest Alpha build, a developer blog and a forum system at which I am trying to build a small community.

The website can be found at http://www.starstrike.ausleague.com. Please check it out and let me know what you think by posting comments on the site's forum system!

<EDIT>: A few screenshots for your information (full screen shots are available on the website, I don't want to clutter the thread by posting them here):

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 10:10 Edited at: 15th Jan 2008 10:11
For those that don't want to have to bother to use command prompt every time they run this, create a batch file in the same directory as the executable to execute the game in the desired resolution, like so:

starstrike.exe -800x600 -32b

The supported resolutions are 600x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, 1600x900, and 1680x1050. You must specify the -32b switch if you don't want to change your desktop resolution to 16-bit.

Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 12:45 Edited at: 15th Jan 2008 12:46
I like to suggest people just make a shortcut on the desktop. You can specify command line parameters in the shortcut that way. Might be a little simpler than a batch file, but that works too :p

EDIT: There will, of course, be a front end and config file for resolution and other settings down the track when the game is more complete, but these are polish items and the game is of course, still in Alpha stage.
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 19:16
Bump. It's been seven days since activity, I hope bumping is allowed here. I'd like to generate some feedback from people who have tried the game. What thoughts to people have on this project thus far?
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Just went to the site and couldn't find any info on the game

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2008 00:17
1st, get some screenshots in your top post. a video of gameplay would be nice, too! both should help with gaining interest from users so you won't feel the need to bump the thread (if the thread didn't catch on, you might consider adding to the thread with more info, etc., that will generate interest vs a "feedback please" bump). having to visit your website and click a couple times to finally find some screenshots is a deterrent (same goes with your website. many of us need the eye-candy to help decide if we're interested ).

2nd, reading about the screen resolution issues is not something i'm willing to experience to play an alpha. much less a patched alpha (why not do a rebuild vs a patch for an alpha?). ie, you want "alpha-testers" to make their own shortcuts/work-arounds?

so, versus my taking the time to deal with those 2.5 "issues", i decided to offer advice on the presentation as feedback in hopes that it pays off with even more feedback from others. the game looks interesting, but i'm waiting until it's developed a bit more before digging in.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2008 13:56 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2008 13:59
Hi. Thanks for you input.

@AgentDink - You didn't look very hard; the information about the game is right there on the front page! There is a menu on the left that contains several links to game information. Look again

@Nomad - I've used the patch for people who already downloaded the full game and don't want to download the whole thing again. There are a few such people so I think that it is reasonable to accommodate them. The next build to be released is a major development, and so it will be a single file to download and not a patch.

The screen resolution "issue" doesn't really exist; it takes less time to create a shortcut with a simple command line parameter than it does to download the game. Bearing in mind that this is an alpha, and while I appreciate all feedback I can't really accept that this is a real problem to be addressed at this time. There will, of course, be frontend options and config files for this in the future when the game is more finished, but Alpha is not the right time to add polish features like this.

In response to your suggestion about screenshots, I've added a few to the initial post in this thread!

At any rate, it's not really the website that I wanted tested; if you are patient enough to download the game, apply the patch and create a shortcut (all of which takes less total time and effort than the installation of any off-the-shelf game) then I'd like to hear about your experience with the game itself.

Please try out the game itself; it's really not that much effort to get it running - two minutes is all it takes: Click two download links, unzip two files, create a shortcut with a simple command line switch and play. Then comment on our forums about your experience with the game

I noticed you wanted to wait until the game is a bit more developed before you dig in. Just to clarify, the game is 90% complete, barring graphical assets. We are just weeks away from Beta status, so the game is certainly ready for assessment by testers and interested community members. Now is the time at which the developers need information from testers, so please give it a go and then send us your comments
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol... I wonder if I accidentally went to just ausleague.com... I didn't click your link, I had typed it in at a later time... so maybe I didn't type the whole thing in. My bad

Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 04:43 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2008 04:46
Lol @ Dink - that seems likely, since Ausleague itself is an incomplete concept and really just a place for me to stick stuff

What did you think of the game?
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 05:30
Has anyone else tried out the game?
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 17:25
Hi, your game seem cool
Will get it a try on next week-end

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Odyssey-Creators - X-Quad Editor - 3DMapEditor
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 06:39
Bump. Always interested in people's opinions of my work! Check it out and let me know
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 14:50
Bump

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:21:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:21:30